This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Aircraft Integration Challenges and Opportunities for Distributed Intelligent Control, Power, Thermal Management, and Diagnostic and Prognostic Systems
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 16, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Modern propulsion system designers face challenges that require that aircraft and engine manufacturers improve performance as well as reduce the life-cycle cost (LCC). These improvements will require a more efficient, more reliable, and more advanced propulsion system. The concept of smart components is built around actively controlling the engine and the aircraft to operate optimally. Usage of smart components intelligently increases efficiency and system safety throughout the flight envelope, all while meeting environmental challenges. This approach requires an integration and optimization, both at the local level and the system level, to reduce cost. Interactions between the various subsystems must be understood through the use of modeling and simulation. This is accomplished by starting with individual subsystem models and combining them into a complete system model. Hierarchical, decentralized control reduces cost and risk by enabling integration and modularity. This process involves defining, developing, and validating against requirements for key integrated propulsion, power, and thermal management system capabilities.
CitationBehbahani, A., Von Moll, A., Zeller, R., and Ordo, J., "Aircraft Integration Challenges and Opportunities for Distributed Intelligent Control, Power, Thermal Management, and Diagnostic and Prognostic Systems," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-2161, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-2161.
- Stewart , J. , Burcham , F. Jr. , Gatlin , D. Flight-Determined Benefits of Integrated Flight-Propulsion Control Systems NASA Technical Memorandum 4393 1992
- Jacobs , A. Reconfigurable Fault Tolerance for Space Systems Dissertation University of Florida 2013 http://ufdcimages.uflib.ufl.edu/UF/E0/04/53/37/00001/JACOBS_A.pdf
- Integrated Propulsion, Power and Thermal (INPPAT) for Next Generation Capability
- NASA presentation contributed from DECWG. Distributed Engine Control NASA Fundamental Aeronautics Program Subsonic Fixed Wing Project, 2009 Propulsion Controls and Diagnostics Workshop December 8-10 2009
- Dalton , J. , Behbahani , AR. et al. Vision of an Integrated Modeling, Simulation, and Analysis Framework and Hardware-Test Environment for Propulsion, Thermal Management and Power 43 rd AIAA/ASME/SAE/ASEE Joint Propulsion Conference & Exhibit, AIAA 2007-5711 2007
- Aviation Safety Program Integrated Resilient Aircraft Control Project 2007 Project Overview and Status Totah Joseph , Principal Investigator, Krishnakumar Kalmanje Dr. , Project Scientist, Viken Sally , Project Manager http://www.eng.morgan.edu/∼cibac/events/Day1/9-IRAC%20Overview%20(Totah).pdf
- Idan , M. , Johnson , M. D. , and Calise , A. J. A Hierarchical Approach to Adaptive Control for Improved Flight Safety AIAA Journal of Guidance, Control and Dynamics 25 6 1012 1020 2002
- Nguyen , N. , and Jacklin , S. Neural Net Adaptive Flight Control Stability, Verification and Validation Challenges, and Future Research Workshop on “Applications of Neural Networks in High Assurance Systems,” International Joint Conference on Neural Networks 2007
- Behbahani , A. , Culley , D. , Carpenter , S. , Mailander , B. et al. Status, Vision, and Challenges of an Intelligent Distributed Engine Control Architecture SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-3859 2007 10.4271/2007-01-3859
- Von Moll , A. , Behbahani , AR. Comparison of Communication Architectures and Network Topologies for Distributed Propulsion Controls 59th International Instrumentation Symposium 2013
- Yuan , Z. , Teng , L. , Fengchun , S. , Peng , H. Comparative Study of Dynamic Programming and Pontryagin's Minimum Principle on Energy Management for a Parallel Hybrid Electric Vehicle Energies 2013 6 2305 2318
- Hofman , T. , Steinbuch , M. , van Druten , R.M. , Serrarens , A.F.A. Rule-based energy management strategies for hybrid vehicles Int. J. Electr. Hybrid Veh. 2007 1 71 9
- Wang , X. , He , H. , Sun , F. , Sun , X. , Tang , H. Comparative Study on Different Energy Management Strategies for Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicles Energies 2013 6 5656 5675
- Xu , Q. , Cui , S. , Song , L. , Zhang , Q. Research on the Power Management Strategy of Hybrid Electric Vehicles Based on Electric Variable Transmissions Energies 2014 7 934 960