This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
SAE AS5643 and IEEE-1394 Flexible Deterministic Solution for Aerospace and Defense
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 16, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The paper provides an introduction into IEEE-1394, AS5643 and related documents. It then explores the I/O Technology Suitability Study criteria used to originally select IEEE-1394b (Beta) as the Vehicle System Data Bus for the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter and update each criterion with new information based on more than a decade of experience and use in not only the F-35 but several other programs.
Based on the suitability study criteria, the reader gains insight into how and why programs like the F-35, which implements dozens of AS5643/IEEE-1394 devices per plane, utilize AS5643/IEEE-1394 for its vehicle system network. This unprecedented use of a high speed (491.52Mb/s) serial interface on an aircraft proves the capability of AS5643/1394, and opens the door for higher bandwidth communication between the Control Computer and remote nodes. While I/O bandwidth is important, system level deterministic behavior is required for most vehicle system networks and AS5643 coupled with 1394 provides the required deterministic behavior.
The criteria explored is: deterministic behavior, fault tolerance, weight, power, volume, latency, software impact, hardware development risk, Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (FMEA) risk assessment, tech refresh path, both non-recurring and re-occurring costs and, finally, customer acceptance.
CitationMourn, R., "SAE AS5643 and IEEE-1394 Flexible Deterministic Solution for Aerospace and Defense," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-2159, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-2159.
- IEEE Microprocessor and Microcomputer Standards Committee, “1394b IEEE Standard for a High-Performance Serial Bus - Amendment 2,” IEEE Std 1394b-2002.
- SAE International Aerospace Standard, “IEEE-1394b Interface Requirements for Military and Aerospace Vehicle Applications,” SAE Standard AS5643A, Rev. Oct. 2006.
- IEEE Microprocessor and Microcomputer Standards Committee, “IEEE Standard for a High-Performance Serial Bus,” IEEE Std 1394-1995.
- IEEE Microprocessor and Microcomputer Standards Committee, “1394a IEEE Standard for a High-Performance Serial Bus - Amendment 1,” IEEE Std 1394a-2000.
- IEEE Microprocessor Standards Committee, “IEEE Standard for a High-Performance Serial Bus,” IEEE Std 1394-2008.
- Wroble, M., Kreska, J., and Dungan, L., “SAE Mil-1394 For Military and Aerospace Vehicle Applications,” SAE Panel Presentation, 2004.
- SAE Aerospace Information Report, “IEEE-1394b for Military and Aerospace Vehicles - Applications Handbook,” SAE AIR5643, Rev. Sep. 2009.