This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Modeling of Gearbox Whining Noise
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 30, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: 8th International Styrian Noise, Vibration & Harshness Congress: The European Automotive Noise Conference
The main source of excitation in gearboxes is generated by the meshing process, which generates vibration transmitted to the casings through shafts and bearings. Casing vibration generates leads to acoustic radiation (whining noise). It is usually assumed that the transmission error and variation of the gear mesh stiffness are the dominant excitation mechanisms. These excitations result from tooth deflection and tooth micro-geometries (voluntary profile modifications and manufacturing errors). For real cases, the prediction of noise induced by the Static Transmission Error (STE) remains a difficult problem.
In this work, an original calculation procedure is implemented by using a finite element method and taking into account the parametric excitations and their coupling (Spectral Iterative Method, developed by the Ecole Centrale de Lyon). The procedure is based on a modal approach developed in the frequency domain, particularly efficient to analyze systems having many degrees of freedom.
In a first step, the static transmission errors and tooth stiffness's are calculated from the knowledge of the tooth macro and micro geometry. In a second step, these data are used to calculate the dynamic transmission errors, the teeth dynamic loads, and the dynamic response of the gearbox. A finite element model of the gearbox (including housings, shafts and bearings) is used to extract the modal basis necessary for this method.
Measurements carried out on a specific gearbox test bench allow comparison of simulation and experimental results. Accelerometers and optical encoders were used to measure static and dynamic errors of transmission and the vibration response of the casings.
The correlation between calculations and measurements at each stage of the computation chain is used to validate the relevance of these numerical approaches.
CitationPerret-Liaudet, J., Carbonelli, A., Rigaud, E., Nelain, B. et al., "Modeling of Gearbox Whining Noise," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-2090, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-2090.
- Remond , D. , Velex , P. , Sabot , J. , Comportement dynamique et acoustique des transmissions par engrenages : synthèse bibliographique 1993
- Welbourn , D. B. Fundamental knowledge of gear noise-a survey in Proceedings of the Conference on Noise and Vibrations of Engines and Transmissions C177/79 9 29 Cranfield Institute of Technology July 1979
- Harris , L.S. Dynamic loads on the teeth of spur gears Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers 172 1958 87 112
- Rigaud , E , Barday , D. Modeling and analysis of static transmission error of gears: effect of wheel body deformation and interactions between adjacent loaded teeth Mécanique Industrielle et Matériaux 51 2 1998 58 60
- Perret-Liaudet , J. Etude des Mécanismes de Transfert entre l'Erreur de Transmission et la Réponse Dynamique des Boîtes de Vitesses Automobiles Thèse de doctorat de l'Ecole Centrale de Lyon N°9207 1992
- Perret-Liaudet J. An original method for computing the response of a parametrically excitated forced system Journal of Sound and Vibration 196 165 177 1996
- Carbonelli , A. , Caractérisation vibro-acoustique d'un cascade de distribution poids lourd Thèse de doctorat de l'Ecole Centrale de Lyon N°2012-34 2008
- Carbonelli , A. , Rigaud , E. , Le Bot , A. et al. Particle swarm optimization as an efficient computational method in order to minimize vibrations of multimesh gears transmission Advances in Acoustics and Vibration, 2011 2011
- Åkerblom , M. , Sellgren , U. , Gearbox Noise and Vibration: Influence of Beraing Preload TRITA-MMK 2008:17 / ISSN 1400-1179 / ISRN/KTH/MMK/R-08/17-SE Stockholm 2008
- Nonaka , T. , Kubo , A. , Kato , S. , Ohmori , T. , Silent gear design for mass produced gears with scratters in tooth accuracy ASME Proceedings of the International Power Transmission and Gearing Conference Scottsdale, USA 2 589 595 1992
- Driot , N. , Etude de la dispersion vibro-acoustique des transmissions par engrenages Thèse de doctorat de l'Ecole Centrale de Lyon N°2002-34 2002