This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A New Multi Air Gap Motor with Trench Shaped Coil for HEV Applications
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper proposes a new multi air gap motor with trench-shaped coil. The proposed motor has high torque without rare earth magnets compared to conventional single air gap motors due to its multiple air gap and ferrite permanent magnet (PM) assisted segment rotor poles.
Firstly, the basic structure and features of proposed motor is shown: three stator cores, integrated a set of three phase windings, and an annular rotor core with magnetic saliency at three sides and ferrite magnets. Then, the performance of proposed new motor and well-known single air gap IPMSM with rare earth magnet are compared by FEA.
Secondly, the simple winding method similar to the conventional motor is clarified.
Next, practical design of the 3-D magnetic circuit with laminated steel is discussed. Eddy current generated by the magnetic flux passing through the laminated steel in the core stacking direction is focused, and methods for reducing eddy current loss are shown.
Finally, performances of proposed motor are verified by the prototype machine in test bench and actual vehicle. From these discussions, the possibility of low cost and high torque motor without rare earth magnets is shown.
CitationKondo, K., Maekawa, T., and Kusase, S., "A New Multi Air Gap Motor with Trench Shaped Coil for HEV Applications," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1870, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-1870.
- Ooi S. , Morimoto S. , Sanada M. , and Inoue Y. Performance Evaluation of a High Power Density PMASynRM with Ferrite Magnets Proc. IEEE Energy Conversion Congress and Exposition (ECCE) 2011 4195 4200
- Sanada M. , Inoue Y. , and Morimoto S. Rotor Structure for Reducing Demagnetization of Magnet in a PMASynRM with Ferrite Permanent Magnet and its Characteristics Proc. IEEE Energy Conversion Congress and Exposition (ECCE) 2011 4189 4194
- Obata M. , Morimoto S. , Sanada M. , and Inoue Y. Characteristic of PMASynRM with ferrite magnets for EV/HEV applications Proc. International Conference on Electrical Machines and Systems (ICEMS) 2012 1 6
- Kusase S. , Maekawa T. , and Kondo K. A study of rare earth-free double-gap motor The 2012 Annual Meeting Record I.E.E. Japan 5-031 2012
- Kondo K. , Kusase S. , and Maekawa T. Construction of Three-Dimensional Magnetic Circuits in Multigap Motor and Demagnetization of Ferrite Magnets Proceedings of the 2012 Japan Industry Applications Society Conference 3 3 35 2012
- Kondo K. , Kusase S. , Maekawa T. , and Hanada K. A New PM-Assisted Synchronous Reluctance Motor with 3-D Trench Air Gap Proc. IEEE International Electric Machines and Drives Conference (IEMDC) 2013 827 833
- Kusase S. , Kondo K. , and Maekawa T. Study of Multi Air-gap Motor wound Three-dimensional Coil The papers of Technical Meeting on Rotating Machinery. IEEJ, RM-13-112 2013