This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Variation in Driving Torque and Vane Friction Torque in a Balanced Vane Pump
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This article describes the friction torque caused by pushing vanes on a cam contour and its influence on a variation of pump driving torque in a balanced vane pump. In the vane pump, the friction torque of the vane is significant to discuss a variation in the driving torque as well as an improvement in the mechanical efficiency. In this work, the influence of the thickness of a vane and the number of vanes on the friction torque of the vane and their additional effect on the variation in the pump driving torque are theoretically and experimentally investigated. The friction torque of the vane occupies a large part of the total friction torque in the vane pump and strongly depends on the number of vanes existing in a suction area as well as the thickness of the vane. The variation in the pump driving torque is composed of the variation of the ideal torque and that of the friction torque of the vane. The former is determined by vane arrangement in the suction area, and the latter is caused by a change in the number of vanes in the suction area. In addition, for the variation in the friction torque of the vane, a value of ε defined as the ratio of the cam lift to the vane thickness becomes an important parameter. A larger value of ε makes the variation of the friction torque of the vane greater.
CitationInaguma, Y. and Yoshida, N., "Variation in Driving Torque and Vane Friction Torque in a Balanced Vane Pump," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1764, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-1764.
- Krüger , H. W. and Teuber , H. Moderne Lenkhelfpumpen ölhydraulik und pneumatik 1984 28 8 493 497
- Dickinson , A. , Edge , K. , and Johnston , D. Measurement and Prediction of Power Steering Vane Pump Fluidborne Noise SAE Technical Paper 931294 1993 10.4271/931294
- Ozeki , T. and Umeyama , M. Development of Toyota's Transaxle for Mini-Van Hybrid Vehicles SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0931 2002 10.4271/2002-01-0931
- Shimizu , K. , Waki , H. , Saito , T. , Sawayama , M. et al. Development of a New-Generation CVT with Medium Torque Capacity for Front-Drive Cars SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-1306 2006 10.4271/2006-01-1306
- Hattori , K. , Suzuki , H. , and Hasegawa , J. Design Method of Small-Ripple Vane Pump SAE Technical Paper 871681 1987 10.4271/871681
- S Mortenson , P. C. Vane Pumps for the mobile and Industrial Markets Proc. of 18th National Conference on Industrial Hydraulics 1962 148 153
- Ortwig H. Berechnung physikalischer Belastungsgrößen im Flügel/Hubring-Gleitkontakt einer Flügelzellen-pumpe Ölhydraulik und pneumatic 1990 34 11 786 791 34 12 856 861
- Katoh , H. , Inaguma , Y. and Kawakami , S. Power steering pump energy savings Proceedings of the 2nd JFPS International Symposium on Fluid Power Tokyo Japan 6 9 September 1993 483 488
- Inaguma , Y. , Watanabe , K. , Kato , H. , and Hibi , A. Energy-Saving and Reduction of Oil Temperature Rising in Hydraulic Power Steering System SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0392 1999 10.4271/1999-01-0392
- Inaguma , Y. and Hibi , A. Vane pump theory for mechanical efficiency Proc. Inst Mech Eng, Part C: J. Mechanical Engineering Science 2005 219 1269 1278
- Inaguma , Y. Oil temperature influence on friction torque characteristics in hydraulic pumps Proc. Inst Mech Eng, Part C: J. Mechanical Engineering Science 2012 226 2267 2280
- Inaguma , Y. and Nakamura , K. Study on Fluctuation Factors of Leakage in a Vane Pump Japan Hydraulics & Pneumatics Soc. 1993 24 7 821 827
- Inaguma , Y. , Hibi , A. Reduction of friction torque in vane pump by smoothing cam ring surface Proc. Inst Mech Eng, Part C: J. Mechanical Engineering Science 2007 221 527 534