This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of Stop/Start Engine Combustion and Restart Control for Gasoline Direct Injection Automatic Transmission Application
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Stop/Start technology for conventional automatic transmissions has recently received considerable attention in the automotive industry due to the potential fuel economy, and CO2 emission reduction, benefit at minimal cost. Stop/Start was first developed for manual transmission applications in the EU and Japanese markets. When stop/start is applied to any automatic transmission powertrain the powertrain control challenge is to restart the engine in a manner that simultaneously minimizes the delay in transferring torque to the driven wheel(s) and provides a consistently smooth launch feel with low NVH. It has recently been shown that stop/start can be added to a gas engine powertrain with a conventional torque converter automatic transmission while achieving the desired launch characteristics with minimal change to the powertrain hardware and cost. This paper describes some of the powertrain control challenges that were addressed in the development of a stop/start system for conventional torque converter based automatic transmission applications. In particular the paper describes the stop/start restart engine and transmission characteristics that need to be addressed and provides a detailed description of the gasoline direct injection engine combustion and restart controls that were developed to support the goal of delivering consistently smooth and fast launch performance.
|Journal Article||A Comparison of Cold-Start Behavior and its Impact on Fuel Economy for Advanced Technology Vehicles|
|Technical Paper||Impact of Transmission Technologies on Fuel Efficiency to Support 2017-2025 CAFE Regulations|
CitationGibson, A., VanDerWege, B., Wooldridge, S., Moilanen, P. et al., "Development of Stop/Start Engine Combustion and Restart Control for Gasoline Direct Injection Automatic Transmission Application," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1747, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-1747.
- Saruwatari , K. , Taga , J. , Yoshida , M. , Yagumo , T. , Yoshii , T. , Uehara , S. 2009 Mazda i-Stop JSAE Paper Number 20092743 Jun 2009 27
- Kok , D. , Schmitz , P. , Busch , R. , Kramer , U. , Kees , D. 2007 Micro-Hybrid Technology Maximum Customer Benefit at Minimal Cost Engine and Environment
- Kamer , U. , Kok , D. 2008 Start System Selection for Gasoline Direct Injection Engines: Motorless vs. Assisted Direct Start Automatic Engine Start Stop Systems Haus der Technik Dec. 2008 Munich
- Kremer , M. , Hulshorst , T. 2011 FEV In-Market Application of Start-Stop Systems in European Market FEV Final Report Dec 2011
- Okuda , K. , Komatsu , Y. , and Nakahara , Y. Research and Analysis of ISG Belt-drive System for Idling Stop System SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-1501 2006 10.4271/2006-01-1501
- Kramer , U. , Badke , K. , Wytrykus , F. , and Wissussek , D. Experimental Determination of the Oxygen Concentration in the Start Cylinder of a Direct Started Engine SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0544 2004 10.4271/2004-01-0544
- Wang , X. , McGee , R. , and Kuang , M. Vehicle System Control for Start-Stop Powertrains with Automatic Transmissions SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0347 2013 10.4271/2013-01-0347
- Kotwicki , A. Dynamic Models for Torque Converter Equipped Vehicles SAE Technical Paper 820393 1982 10.4271/820393
- Horste , K. Objective Measurement of Automatic Transmission Shift Feel Using Vibration Dose Value SAE Technical Paper 951373 1995 10.4271/951373
- Gibson , A.O. , Kolmanovsky , I.V. 2003 Modeling Positive Intake Valve Overlap Air Charge Response in Engines American Control Conference Proceedings Denver
- Gibson , A. and Kolmanovsky , I. Modeling and Analysis of Engine Torque Modulation for Shift Quality Improvement SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-1073 2006 10.4271/2006-01-1073
- Fujii , Y. , Tobler , W. , Pietron , G. , Cao , M. et al. Review of Wet Friction Component Models for Automatic Transmission Shift Analysis SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-1665 2003 10.4271/2003-01-1665