This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental Evaluation of a 4-cc Glow-Ignition Single-Cylinder Two-Stroke Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The performance of a 4cc two-stroke single cylinder glow plug engine was assessed at wide open throttle for speeds ranging from 2000 to 7000RPM. The engine performance was mapped for the stock aluminum head and one composed of titanium, which was printed using additive manufacturing. The engine was mounted to a motoring dynamometer and the maximum torque was determined by adjusting the fuel flow. Maximum torque occurred around 3000 to 3500RPM and tended to be higher when using the aluminum head. At slower speeds, the titanium head produced slightly higher torque. For each test condition, maximum torque occurred at leaner conditions for the titanium head compared to the stock aluminum one. Higher efficiencies were observed with the aluminum head for speeds greater than 3000RPM, but the titanium heads provided better efficiency at the lower speed points.
The titanium head was equipped with an in-cylinder pressure sensor and the combustion performance was assessed at maximum torque for speeds of 4000, 6000, and 7000RPM. The peak cylinder pressure increased with decreasing speed, while the indicated mean effective pressure increased with speed. The Coefficient of variance (COV) for indicated mean effective pressure (IMEP) was less than 10% for each condition.
|Technical Paper||New 2.3L Ford OHC Engine for 1974|
|Technical Paper||BASIC PROBLEMS IN THE DESIGN OF HIGH-OUTPUT AIRCRAFT ENGINES|
|Technical Paper||100 Hour Endurance Testing of a High Output Adiabatic Diesel Engine|
- Michael D. Kass - Oak Ridge National Laboratory
- Mark W. Noakes - Oak Ridge National Laboratory
- Brian Kaul - Oak Ridge National Laboratory
- Dean Edwards - Oak Ridge National Laboratory
- Timothy Theiss - Oak Ridge National Laboratory
- Lonnie Love - Oak Ridge National Laboratory
- Ryan Dehoff - Oak Ridge National Laboratory
- John Thomas - Oak Ridge National Laboratory
CitationKass, M., Noakes, M., Kaul, B., Edwards, D. et al., "Experimental Evaluation of a 4-cc Glow-Ignition Single-Cylinder Two-Stroke Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1673, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-1673.
- Dunn-Rankin , D. , Leal , E and Walther , D. Personal Power Systems Progress in Energy and Combustion Science 31 422 465 2005 10.1016/
- Manente V. Characterization of Glow Plug and HCCI Combustion in a Small Volume at High Engine Speed Ph.D. thesis Engineering Department, Lund University Lund, Sweden 2007
- Tian , L. Experimental Tests and Simulations of A 1.5 cc Miniature Glow-Ignition Two-Stroke Engine SAE Technical Paper 2010-32-0018 2010 10.4271/2010-32-0018
- Fernandez-Pello , A. C. Micropower Generation Using Combustion: Issues and Approaches Proceedings of the Combustion Institute 29 1 883 899 2002 10.1016/S1540-7489(02)80113-4
- National Research Council Meeting the Energy Needs of Future Warriors Washington, DC The National Academies Press 2004
- UCLA Today Dispelling 10 Myths About Drones http://today.ucla.edu/portal/ut/PRN-ten-myths-about-drones-234412.aspx Jan. 2014
- Eberhardt , J. Fuels of the Future for Cars and Trucks 2002 Diesel Engine Emissions Reduction Workshop USA Aug. 25 29 2002
- APS Physics: The Back Page Has the Battery Bubble Burst? http://www.aps.org/publications/apsnews/201208/ backpage.cfm Aug. 2012
- Lapuerta , M. , Garcia-Contreras , R. , Campos-Fernandez , J. , and Dorado , M. P. Stability, Lubricity, Viscosity, and Cold-Flow Properties of Alcohol-Diesel Blends Energy Fuels 2101 24 4497 4502 2010 10.1021/ef100498u
- Sher E , Levinzon D. Scaling Down of Miniature Internal Combustion Engines: Limitations and Challenges Heat Transfer Engineering 26 8 1 4 2005 10.1080/01457630591004780
- Sher E , Levinson-Sher D , Sher B. Miniaturization Limits of HCCI Internal Combustion Engines Applied Thermal Engineering 29 2-3 400 411 2009 10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2008.03.020.K
- Menon S , Cadou C. C. Scaling of Miniature Piston Engine Performance Part 2: Energy Losses Journal of Propulsion and Power 29 4 788 799 2013 10.2514/1.B34639