This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Numerical Flow Analysis of a Centrifugal Compressor with Ported and without Ported Shroud
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Turbochargers are commonly used in automotive engines to increase the internal combustion engine performance during off design operation conditions. When used, a most wide operation range for the turbocharger is desired, which is limited on the compressor side by the choke condition and the surge phenomenon. The ported shroud technology is used to extend the operable working range of the compressor, which permits flow disturbances that block the blade passage to escape and stream back through the shroud cavity to the compressor inlet. The impact of this technology on a speed-line at near optimal operation condition and near surge operation condition is investigated.
A numerical study investigating the flow-field in a centrifugal compressor of an automotive turbocharger has been performed using Large Eddy Simulation. The wheel rotation is handled by the numerically expensive sliding mesh technique. In this analysis, the full compressor geometry (360 deg) is considered. Numerical solutions with and without ported shroud for a near optimal operation condition and near-surge operation condition. The flow-field of the different cases is analyzed to elucidate the functionality of the ported shroud. In agreement with previous observations, it was found that the ported shroud reduces the flow disturbances in the blade passage for all operating conditions. However, the compressor efficiency for the off-design operation condition was found to be higher without the ported shroud, supporting the findings reported recently by an experimental investigation. The computational results are validated with experimental measurements in terms of the performance parameters and available Particle Image Velocimetry data.
CitationSemlitsch, B., V, J., Mihaescu, M., Fuchs, L. et al., "Numerical Flow Analysis of a Centrifugal Compressor with Ported and without Ported Shroud," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1655, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-1655.
- Rodgers , C. Centrifugal Compressor Inlet Guide Vanes for Increased Surge Margin J. Turbomach. 113 4 696 702 1991 10.1115/1.2929136
- Whitfield , A. , and Abdullah , A.H. The Performance of a Centrifugal Compressor with High Inlet Prewhirl J. Turbomach. 120 3 487 493 1998 10.1115/1.2841744
- Ishida , M. , Sakaguchi , D. , and Ueki , H. 2006 Effect of Pre-swirl on Unstable Flow Suppression in a Centrifugal Impeller With Ring Groove Arrangement ASME Turbo Expo GT2006-90400 2006 10.1115/GT2006-90400
- Barton , M. T. , Mansour , M. L. , Liu , J. S. , and Palmer , D. L. Numerical Optimization of a Vaned Shroud Design for Increased Operability Margin in Modern Centrifugal Compressors J. Turbomach. 128 627 631 2004 10.1115/1.2187526
- Saha , S. L. , Kurokawa , J. , Matsui , J. , and Imamura , H. Passive Control of Rotating Stall in a Parallel-Wall Vaned Diffuser by J-Grooves J. Fluids Eng. 123 3 507 515 2001
- Macdougal , I. , and Elder , R. L. The Improvement of Operating Range in a Small, High Speed, Centrifugal Compressor Using Casing Treatment IMechE Conference on Turbochargers and Turbocharing C32/82 1982
- Yamaguchi , S. , Yamaguchi , H. , Goto , S. , Nakao , H. , and Nakamura , F. The Development of Effective Casing Treatment for Turbocharger Compressor Proceedings of the 7 th IMechE International Conference on Turbocharger and Turbocharging, London C602/016/2002 May 14 15 2002
- Zheng , X. , Zhang , Y. , Yang , M. , Bamba , T. , and Tamaki , H. Stability Improvement of High-Pressure-Ratio Turbocharger Centrifugal Compressor by Asymmetrical Flow Control - Part II: Nonaxisymmetrical Self-Recirculation Casing Treatment J. Turbomach. 135 2 021007-1 021007-8 2002 10.1115/1.4006637
- Sivagnanasundaram Subenuka , Spence Stephen , Early Juliana and Nikpour Bahram An impact of Various Shroud Bleed Slot configurations and Cavity Vanes on Compressor Map Width and the Inducer Flow Field J. of Turbomach. 135 4 2013 10.1115/1.4007513
- Ishida , M. , Sakaguchi , D. , and Ueki , H. Effect of pre-swirl on unstable flow suppression in a centrifugal impeller with ring groove arrangement ASME Turbo Expo GT2006-90400 2006 10.1115/GT2006-90400
- Hellström , F. , Gutmark , G. , and Fuchs , L. Large Eddy Simulation of the Unsteady flow in a Radial Compressor Operating Near Surge J. of Turbomach. 134 5 1157 1169 2012 10.1115/1.4003816
- Guleren , K.M. , Afgan , I. , and Turan , A. Predictions of Turbulent Flow for the Impeller of a NASA Low-Speed Centrifugal Compressor J. Turbomach. 132 2 021005-1 021005-8 2010 10.1115/1.3140824
- Fisher , F. Application of Map Width Enhancement Devices to Turbocharger Compressor Stages SAE Technical Paper 880794 1988 10.4271/880794
- Hunziker , R. , Dickmann , H. P. , and Emmrich , R. Numerical and Experimental Investigation of a Centrifugal Compressor with an Inducer Casing Bleed System J. Power Energy 215 6 783 791 2001
- Guleren , K.M. , Turan , A. , and Pinarbasi A. Large Eddy Simulation of the flow in a Low-Speed Centrifgual Compressor Int. J. Numerical Methods in Fluids 56 1271 1280 2008 10.1002/fld.1741
- Chow , P. , Cross , M. , and Pericleous , K. A natural extension of the conventional finite volume method into polygonal unstructured meshes for CFD application Appl. Math. Modelling 20 2 170 183 1996 10.1016/0307-904X(95)00156-E
- STARCCM+, Commercial code, Ver. 6.06 CD-adapco Melville, NY 1987
- Guillou , E. , Gancedo , M. , Gutmark , E. , and Mohamed , A. PIV investigation of the flow induced by a passive surge control method in a radial compressor Experiments in Fluids 53 3 619 635 2012
- Guillou , E. , DiMicco , R. , Gutmark , E. , Mohamed , A. et al. Characterization of a Ported Shroud Compressor using PIV Measurements SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-1225 2010 10.4271/2010-01-1225
- Sun , Z. , Tan , C. , and Zhang , D. Flow field structures of impeller backside cavity and its influence on the centrifugal compressor Proceedings of ASME TurboExpo June 8 12 USA 2009
- Chen , H. , and Lei , V. Casing Treatment and Inlet Swirl of Centrifugal Compressors J. of Turbomach 135 4 041010-1 041010-8 2013 10.1115/1.4007739