This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Efficacy of In-Cylinder Control of Particulate Emissions to Meet Current and Future Regulatory Standards
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Diesel particulate filter (DPF) technology has proven performance and reliability. However, the addition of a DPF adds significant cost and packaging constraints leading some manufacturers to design engines that reduce particulate matter in-cylinder. Such engines utilize high fuel injection pressure, moderate exhaust gas recirculation and modified injection timing to mitigate soot formation. This study examines such an engine designed to meet US EPA Interim Tier 4 standards for off-highway applications without a DPF. The engine was operated at four steady state modes and aerosol measurements were made using a two-stage, ejector dilution system with a scanning mobility particle sizer (SMPS) equipped with a catalytic stripper (CS) to differentiate semi-volatile versus solid components in the exhaust. Gaseous emissions were measured using an FTIR analyzer and particulate matter mass emissions were estimated using SMPS data and an assumed particle density function. Though the tested engine is predicted to largely meet current US particle mass standards it has significantly higher particle number emissions compared to the Euro 6 solid particle number emissions standard. Our work suggests that engine out solid particle mass would have to be reduced to extremely low levels, much lower than current standards, in order to meet the number standard without DPF aftertreatment.
CitationLucachick, G., Avenido, A., Watts, W., Kittelson, D. et al., "Efficacy of In-Cylinder Control of Particulate Emissions to Meet Current and Future Regulatory Standards," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1597, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-1597.
- Huss Nathan L. John Deere Expands Final Tier 4/Stage IV Offering with No-DPF 4.5L Engine 2013 John Deere http://www.deere.com/wps/dcom/en_US/corporate/our_company/news_and_media/press_releases/2013/engines_drivetrain/2013apr17_power_ft4.page 10 1 2013
- Perkins Shows Completed Stage IV/Tier 4 Final Engine Series at Bauma 2013 Bauma 2013 http://rermag.com/postcards-bauma/perkins-shows-completed-stage-ivtier-4-final-engine-series-bauma 10 1 2013
- U.S. EPA Emission Standards Reference Guide Nonroad Compression-Ignition Engines -- Exhaust Emission Standards http://epa.gov/oms/standards/nonroad/nonroadci.htm 10 1 2013
- Abdul-Khalek , I. , Kittelson , D. , and Brear , F. The Influence of Dilution Conditions on Diesel Exhaust Particle Size Distribution Measurements 1999-01-1142 1999 10.4271/1999-01-1142
- Kittelson , D. B. , Watts , W. F. , and Johnson , J. P. On-road and Laboratory Evaluation of Combustion Aerosols, Part 1: Summary of Diesel Engine Results J. Aerosol Science 37 8 913 930 2006 10.1016/j.jaerosci.2005.08.005
- Hinds , W. C. 1999 Aerosol Technology: Properties, Behavior, and Measurement of Airborne Particles 2 Wiley-Interscience Publications, John Wiley & Sons
- Amanatidis , S. , Ntziachristos , L. , Giechaskiel , B. , Katsaounis , D. et al. Evaluation of an Oxidation Catalyst (“Catalytic Stripper”) in Eliminating Volatile Material from Combustion Aerosol J. Aerosol Science 57 144 155 2013 org/10.1016/j.jaerosci.2012.12.001
- Abdul-Khalek , I. and Kittelson , D. Real Time Measurement of Volatile and Solid Exhaust Particles Using a Catalytic Stripper 950236 1995 10.4271/950236
- Swanson , J. , and Kittelson , D Evaluation of Thermal Denuder and Catalytic Stripper Methods for Solid Particle Measurements 2010 J. Aerosol Sci 41 1113 1122 10.1016/j.jaerosci.2010.09.003
- Stenitzer , M. 2003 Nano Particle Formation in the Exhaust of Internal Combustion Engines Diplom-Ingenieurs, Technischen Universität Wien Fakultät für Maschinenbau
- Wang , Y. , Sun , Z. , Stelson , K. Modeling, Control and Experimental Validation of a Transient Hydrostatic Dynamometer IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology 19 6 1578 1586 2011 10.1109/TCST.2010.2082542
- Wang , Y. , Song , Y. and Sun , Z. Hybrid Powertrain Control with a Rapid Prototyping Research Platform Proceedings of the 2011 American Control Conference San Francisco, CA 997 1002 June 2011
- Park , K. , Kittelson , D.B. , Zachariah , M. R. and McMurry , P. H. Measurement of Inherent Material Density of Nanoparticle Agglomerate J. Nanoparticle Research 6 2 267 272 2004 10.1023/B:NANO.0000034657.71309.e6
- Storey , J. , Lewis , S. , Parks , J. , Szybist , J. et al. Mobile Source Air Toxics (MSATs) from High Efficiency Clean Combustion: Catalytic Exhaust Treatment Effects SAE Int. J. Engines 1 1 1157 1166 2008 10.4271/2008-01-2431