This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
NO/NO 2 Ratio based NH 3 Control of a SCR
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The emissions of modern Diesel engines, which are known to have various health effects, are beside the drivers torque demands and low fuel consumptions one of the most challenging issues for combustion and after treatment control. To comply with legal requirements, emission control for heavy duty engines is not feasible without additional hardware, usually consisting of a Diesel oxidation catalyst (DOC), a Diesel particulate filter (DPF) and a selective catalytic reduction (SCR) system. In contrast to other NOx reduction systems, e.g. lean NOx traps, the SCR system requires an additional ingredient, namely ammonia (NH3), to reduce the NOx emissions to non harmful components. Consequently, the correct amount of NH3 dosing in the SCR catalyst is one of the critical components to reach high conversion rates and avoid ammonia slip.
Against this background and in contrast to existing proposals in which the NH3 dosing is often calculated based on a NOx emission sensor, this work presents a strategy to adopt the set point estimation of the NH3 dosing, based on a virtual NOx sensor extended by a virtual DOC model. On basis of that structure the NO/NO2 ratio and the NOx mass flow entering the SCR is estimated and accordingly the correct dosing amount of ammonia.
Furthermore a model predictive controller - including the set point calculation, calibrated with a SCR model and the feedback from a NH3 sensor at the outlet of the SCR - is developed and tested in simulation on a dynamical driving cycle. To validate the advantages of the NO/NO2 value estimation for the SCR control the methods are compared in different aspects like the conversion efficiency and the NH3 slip for dynamical load changes.
CitationStadlbauer, S., Waschl, H., and del Re, L., "NO/NO2 Ratio based NH3 Control of a SCR," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1565, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-1565.
- Johnson , T. Vehicular Emissions in Review SAE Int. J. Engines 6 2 699 715 2013 10.4271/2013-01-0538
- Zheng M. , Reader T. G. , and Hawley J. G. Diesel engine exhaust gar recirculation - a review on advanced and novel concepts Conversion and Management 45 6 883 900 2004
- Cloudt , R. and Willems , F. Integrated Emission Management strategy for cost-optimal engineaftertreatment operation SAE Int. J. Engines 4 1 1784 1797 2011 10.4271/2011-01-1310
- Docquier N. and Candel S. Combustion control and sensors: a review Progress in Energy and Combustion Science 28 107 150 2002
- Schilling A. , Amstutz A. , Onder C. H. , and Guzzella L. A Real-Time Model for the Prediction of the NO x Emissions in DI Diesel Engines IEEE, International Conference on Control Applications Munich, Germany 2005 2042 2047
- Stadlbauer , S. , Alberer , D. , Hirsch , M. , Formentin , S. et al. Evaluation of Virtual NOx Sensor Models for Off Road Heavy Duty Diesel Engines SAE Int. J. Commer. Veh. 5 1 128 140 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0358
- Formentin S. , Corno M. , Alberer D. , Benatzky C. , and del Re L. NOx virtual sensor design via in-cylinder pressure feature extraction 16th IFAC Symposium on System identification 2012
- Desantes J. M. , López J. J. , García J. M. , and Hernández L. Application of Neural Networks for Prediction and Optimization of Exhaust Emissions in a H.D. Diesel Engine 2002
- Hirsch M. , Alberer D. , and del Re L. Grey-box controll oriented emission models the IFAC World congress Seoul South Korea 2008
- Sharifian , L. , Wright , Y. , Boulouchos , K. , Elsener , M. et al. Transient simulation of NO x reduction over a Fe-Zeolite catalyst in an NH 3 -SCR system and study of the performance under different operating conditions SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 5 1 370 379 2011 10.4271/2011-01-2084
- Schär C.M. Control of a Selective Catalytic Reduction Process Ph.D. thesis Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zürich 2003
- Schär , C. , Onder , C. , Geering , H. , and Elsener , M. Control-Oriented Model of an SCR Catalytic Converter System 2004-01-0153 2004 10.4271/2004-01-0153
- Zanardo , G. , Stadlbauer , S. , Waschl , H. , and del Re , L. Grey Box Control Oriented SCR Model 2013-24-0159 2013 10.4271/2013-24-0159
- Willems , F. , Cloudt , R. , van den Eijnden , E. , van Genderen , M. et al. Is Closed-Loop SCR Control Required to Meet Future Emission Targets? 2007-01-1574 2007 10.4271/2007-01-1574
- McKinley T. L. , and Alleyne A. G. Adaptive model predictive control of an SCR catalytic converter system for automotive applications IEEE transactions on control systems technology 20 6 2012
- Herman , A. , Wu , M. , Cabush , D. , and Shost , M. Model Based Control of SCR Dosing and OBD Strategies with Feedback from NH 3 Sensors SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 2 1 375 385 2009 10.4271/2009-01-0911
- Hsieh M.F. , and Wang J. Nonlinear Model Predictive Control of Lean NO x Trap Regenerations In Proceedings of Joint 48th IEEE Conference on Decsion and Controll and 28th Chinese Control Conference Shanghai, P.R. China December 16 18 2009 2009
- Jung , J. , Song , S. , and Chun , K. Characterization of Catalyzed Soot Oxidation with NO2, NO and O2 using a Lab-Scale Flow Reactor System 2008-01-0482 2008 10.4271/2008-01-0482
- Premchand , K. , Johnson , J. , Yang , S. , Triana , A. et al. A Study of the Filtration and Oxidation Characteristics of a Diesel Oxidation Catalyst and a Catalyzed Particulate Filter 2007-01-1123 2007 10.4271/2007-01-1123
- Chatterjee , D. , Burkhardt , T. , Rappe , T. , Güthenke , A. et al. Numerical Simulation of DOC+DPF+SCR systems:DOC Influence on SCR Performance SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 1 1 440 451 2008 10.4271/2008-01-0867
- Katare , S. , Patterson , J. , and Laing , P. Aged DOC is a Net Consumer of NO2: Analyses of Vehicle, Engine-dynamometer and Reactor Data 2007-01-3984 2007 10.4271/2007-01-3984
- Hsieh M.F and Wang J. NO and NO 2 Concentration Modeling and Observer-Based Estimation Across a Diesel Engine Aftertretment System Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measrement and Control 133 2011
- Maciejowski J. Predictive control: with constraints Pearson educationn Harlow, UK
- Girard , J. , Snow , R. , Cavataio , G. , and Lambert , C. The Influence of Ammonia to NOX Ratio on SCR Performance 2007-01-1581 2007 10.4271/2007-01-1581
- Hirsch , M. and del Re , L. Adapted D-Optimal Experimental Design for Transient Emission Models of Diesel Engines 2009-01-0621 2009 10.4271/2009-01-0621
- Ljung L. System Identification - Theory For the User PTR Prentice Hall Upper Saddle River, N.J. 1999
- Box G. E. P. and Cox D. R. An Analysis of Transformations Journal of the Royal Statistical society 26 2 211 252 1964
- Stadlbauer S. , Zandardo G. , Waschl H. , Schilling A. , and Alberer D. Design and Evaluation of Control-Oriented Diesel Oxidation Catalyst Models ECOSM 2012 Paris