This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental Studies on Butanol/Gasoline Fuel Blends in a Four Stroke Engine Powered Motorcycle
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Butanol is one of the potential alternative fuels that can be used in IC engines in the same way as gasoline. This paper investigates the application of butanol as a blending component for gasoline fuel used in single cylinder four stroke motorcycle engine. Different blending ratio of 5, 10, 20 & 30% butanol-gasoline prepared were used for the study. The motorcycle engine tested on the chassis dynamometer had displacement of 100 cm3. The performance testing under steady state were simulated by running the vehicle on road load simulation and wide open throttle test modes at steady speeds of 40, 50, 60 and 70 km/h. The fuels were also examined using transient Indian Driving Cycle. The test results indicated that butanol-gasoline blended fuel can be a promising alternate for automotive application.
CitationMuralidharan, M., Kumar, N., Kalita, M., Sithananthan, M. et al., "Experimental Studies on Butanol/Gasoline Fuel Blends in a Four Stroke Engine Powered Motorcycle," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1475, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-1475.
- Technology in Indian Butanol Industry, www.dsir.gov.in/reports/techreps/tsr107.pdf
- The Engine Performance and Fuel Properties of Biobutanol Blended Gasoline, Energy SK, Jan 2010.
- Biobutanol: The Next Big Biofuel, http://www.chemsystems.com/reports/search/docs/prospectus/MC08_Biobutanol_Prospectus.pdf.
- Biobutanol Fact Sheet, http://www.bp.com/liveassets/bp_internet/globalbp/STAGI NG/global_assets/downloads/B/Bio_biobutanol_fact_sheet _sept_06.pdf.
- Verma R.P., “Butanol - A Possible Alternative Energy Source”, International Symposium on Biofuels, New Delhi, September 25-26, 2007.
- Ramey, David E., “Butanol: The Other Alternative Fuel”, NABC Report 19: Agricultural Biofuels: Technology, Sustainability, and Profitability (2007), 137-47, 2007
- Butanol, http://www.laiherockley.com/en/index.php?a=procon&id=348&oneid=36
- Yang Jing, Yang Xiaolong, Liu Jingping, Han Zhiyu, Zhong Zhihua, “Dyno Test Investigations of Gasoline Engine Fueled with Butanol-Gasoline Blends”, SAE Paper No.2009-01-1891, 2009
- Balaji D., Govindarajan P., Venkatesan J., “Influence Of Isobutanol Blend In Spark Ignition Engine Performance And Emissions Operated With Gasoline And Ethanol”, International Journal of Engineering Science and Technology Vol. 2(7), 2859-2868, 2010.
- Yasar A., “Effects of Alcohol-Gasoline Blends on Exhaust and Noise Emissions in Small Scaled Generators”, Metalurgija 49 (2010) 4, 335-338, 2010
- Farkade H S, Pathre A P, “Experimental investigation of methanol, ethanol and butanol blends with gasoline on SI engine”, International Journal of Emerging Technology and Advanced Engineering, ISSN 2250-2459, Volume 2, Issue 4, April 2012.
- Dernotte J., Mounaim-Rousselle C., Halter F., Seers P., “Evaluation of Butanol-Gasoline Blends in a Port Fuel-injection, Spark-Ignition Engine”, Oil & Gas Science and Technology - Rev. IFP, Vol. 65 (2010), No. 2, pp. 345-351, 2010
- Wallner Thomas, Shidore Neeraj, Ickes Andrew, “Impact of ethanol and butanolas oxygenates on SIDI engine efficiency and emissions using steady-state and transient test procedures”, 16th Directions in Engine-Efficiency and Emissions Research (DEER) Conference, Detroit, Michigan September 27-30, 2010.
- Wigg Benjamin R., “A study on the emissions of butanol using a spark ignition engine and their reduction using electrostatically assisted injection”, M.S. Thesis, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, 2011.