This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Comparison of Regulated Emissions and Particulate Matter of Gasoline/CNG Dual-Fuel Taxi Over New European Driving Cycle
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Compressed natural gas (CNG) is widely used as an alternative option in spark ignition engines because of its better fuel economy and in part cleaner emissions. To cope with the haze weather in Beijing, about 2000 gasoline/CNG dual-fuel taxis are servicing on-road. According to the government's plan, the volume of alternative fuel and pure electric vehicle will be further increased in the future. Thus, it is necessary to conduct an evaluation on the effectiveness of alternative fuel on curbing vehicular emissions. This research examined the regulated emissions and particulate matter of gasoline/CNG dual-fuel taxi over New European Driving Cycle (NEDC). Emission tests in gasoline- and CNG-fuelled, cold- and warm-start modes were done for all five taxies. Test vehicles, Hyundai Elantra, are powered by 1.6L spark-ignited engines incorporated with 5-gear manual gearboxes. The taxis were registered in May and June, 2013, and their millage was within 3500 and 10000 km on odometer when the emission tests were performed. The results indicated that, in both cold and warm-start tests, carbon monoxide (CO) emission of the vehicles declined obviously by using CNG as an alternative. However, increases in hydrocarbons (HC), nitrogen oxides (NOx) and particulate matter (PM) emissions were observed when CNG was used. Besides, CNG fuelling was beneficial to lowering CO2 emission and improving the fuel economy of the vehicles.
CitationWang, X. and Ge, Y., "Comparison of Regulated Emissions and Particulate Matter of Gasoline/CNG Dual-Fuel Taxi Over New European Driving Cycle," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1467, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-1467.
- Aslam , M. , Masjuki , H. , Kalam , M. , Abdesselam , H. et al. An Experimental Investigation of CNG as an Alternative Fuel for a Retrofitted Gasoline Vehicle Fuel. 85 717 724 2006 10.1016/j.fuel.2005.09.004
- Jahirul , M. , Masjuki , H. , Saidur , R. , Kalam , M. et al. Comparative Engine Performance and Emission Analysis of CNG and Gasline in a Retrofitted Car Engine Appl. Therm. Eng. 30 2219 2226 2010 10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2010.05.037
- Mustafi , N. , Miraglia , Y. , Raine , R. , Bansal , P. et al. Spark-Ignition Engine Performance with ‘Powergas’ Fuel (Mixture of CO/H2): A Comparison with Gasoline and Natural Gas Fuel. 85 1605 1612 2006 10.1016/j.fuel.2006.02.017
- Reynold , C. , Grieshop , A. and Kandlikar , M. Climate and Health Relevant Emissions from in-Use Indian Three-Wheelers Fueled by Natural Gas and Gasoline Environ. Sci. Technol. 45 2406 2412 2011 10.1021/es102430p
- Ristovski , Z. , Morawska , L. , Ayoko , G. , Johnson , G. et al. Emissions from a Vehicle Fitted to Operate on Either Petrol or Compressed Natural Gas Sci. Total Environ. 323 179 194 2004 10.1016/j.scitotenv.2003.10.023
- Kayes , D. and Hochgreb , S. Mechanisms of Particulate Matter Formation in Spark-Ignition Engines. 1. Effect of Engine Operating Conditions Environ. Sci. Technol. 33 3957 3967 1999 10.1021/es9810991
- Subramanian , K. , Mathad , V. , Vijay , V. and Subbarao , P. Comparative Evaluation of Emission and Fuel Economy of an Automotive Spark Ignition Vehicle Fuelled with Methane Enriched Biogas and CNG Using Chassis Dynamometer Appl. Energ. 105 17 29 2013 10.1016/j.apenergy.2012.12.011
- Park , C. , Kim , C. , Choi , Y. , Won , S. et al. The Influence of Hydrogen on the Performance and Emission Characteristics of a Heavy Duty Natural Gas Engine Int. J. Hydrogen Energ. 36 3739 3745 2011 10.1016/j.ijhydene.2010.12.021
- Centeno Gonzalez , F. , Mahkamov , K. , Silva Lora , E. , Andrade , R. et al. Prediction by Mathematical Modeling of the Behavior of an Internal Combustion Engine to Be Fed with Gas from Biomass, in Comparison to the Same Engine Fueled with Gasoline or Methane Renew. Energ. 60 427 432 2013 10.1016/j.renene.2013.05.037
- Schreiber , D. , Forss , A. , Mohr , M. , and Dimopoulos , P. Particle Characterisation of Modern CNG, Gasoline and Diesel Passenger Cars SAE Technical Paper 2007-24-0123 2007 10.4271/2007-24-0123
- Ristovski , Z. , Morawska , L. , Hitchins , J. , Thomas , S. et al. Particle Emissions from Compressed Natural Gas Engines J. Aerosol Sci. 31 403 413 2000 10.1016/S0021-8502(99)00530-3