This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental Investigation of Six Cylinder Turbocharged Di-Diesel Engine Cold Startability
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Modern day ECU controlled Compression Ignition Engine, with its lean burn combustion process and with advanced exhaust aftertreatment devices, is the most sought after IC engine today; Due to its low fuel consumption with lowest possible CO2 emissions. In order to meet these low emission targets, the compression ratio of many of these new generation Diesel engines are kept as low as low as 16:1. Lowering compression ratio has a negative effect on Engine cold start quality and warm-up.
This paper summarizes experimental investigation conducted on an Inline 6 cylinder 5.7 liter Turbocharged Intercooled Direct Injection Diesel Engine with BOSCH Electronic Rotary Fuel Injection Pump (VP37) in a cold chamber to study the effect of injection parameters on combustion instability (and thereby on Cold Cranking), at different (sub-zero) ambient temperatures. Acceptance criterion for cold cranking of Engine was it should start and stabilize within 30sec of the cranking time without visible white smoke emission. Focus of this exercise was to simulate worst case condition and optimize the calibration of FIE (Fuel Injection Equipment) system to facilitate engine cold cranking without cold start aid (Glow Plugs, Intake Air Heaters, Coolant Heaters, and Fuel Heater).
CitationB, D., Murugesan, L., Nagarajan, M., Kakde, N. et al., "Experimental Investigation of Six Cylinder Turbocharged Di-Diesel Engine Cold Startability," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1372, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-1372.
- Han , Z. , Henein , N. , Nitu , B. , and Bryzik , W. , Diesel Engine Cold Start Combustion Instability and Control Strategy SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1237 2001 10.4271/2001-01-1237
- Rau Versuche zur Thermodynamik und Gemischbildung beim Kalstart eines direkteinspritzeden Viertakt-Dieselmotors Dissertation Technische Universität Hannover 1975
- Henein , N. , Zahdeh , A. , Yassine , M. , and Bryzik , W. , Diesel Engine Cold Starting: Combustion Instability SAE Technical Paper 920005 1992 10.4271/920005
- Austen A.E.W , Lyn W-T. Some investigations on cold - starting phenomenon in diesel engines Proc. Instn. Mech. Engrs. 5 1959 60
- Osuka , I. , Nishimura , M. , Tanaka , Y. , and Miyaki , M. , Benefits of New Fuel Injection System Technology on Cold Startability of Diesel Engines - Improvement of Cold Startability and White Smoke Reduction by Means of Multi Injection with Common Rail Fuel System (ECD-U2) SAE Technical Paper 940586 1994 10.4271/940586