This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Closed-loop Control of Low Temperature Combustion Employing Ion Current Detecting Technology
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Based on high EGR rate, the low temperature combustion (LTC) has been studied widely, of which the application range is more extensive than the homogeneous charge compression ignition (HCCI) and premixed charge compression ignition (PCCI). As the high EGR rate would influence the condition of intake charge, it would also affect the combustion process and the HC emissions, thus the combustion stability of LTC would be lower than tradition diesel combustion.
In this study, an ion current detecting technology was employed to explore the ion current at different EGR rates. Meanwhile, the combustion parameters were also investigated, which included the in-cylinder pressure and heat release rate. The CA50 and CAI50 were adopted as the phases of combustion and ion current, which respectively represented the crank angle of mid-point for the integrated heat release and integrated ion current. Then the correlation between CA50 and CAI50 was analysed. Finally, a closed-loop control strategy for LTC was proposed, which was based on the ion current detecting technology.
The experimental results showed that with the closed-loop control strategy, the combustion stability of LTC was improved, the power performance was enhanced, and the HC emissions were reduced.
CitationZhang, Z., Zhao, F., Li, L., Wu, Z. et al., "Closed-loop Control of Low Temperature Combustion Employing Ion Current Detecting Technology," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1362, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-1362.
- Su, W., Lu, Y., Yu, W., Wang, C. et al., “High Density- Low Temperature Combustion in Diesel Engine Based on Technologies of Variable Boost Pressure and Intake Valve Timing,” SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1911, 2009, doi:10.4271/2009-01-1911.
- Peng, Z., Zhao, H., and Ladommatos, N., “Effects of Air/Fuel Ratios and EGR Rates on HCCI Combustion of n-heptane, a Diesel Type Fuel,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0747, 2003, doi:10.4271/2003-01-0747.
- Shahbakhti, M., Lupul, R., Lupul, and Koch, C. R., “Cyclic Variations of Ignition Timing in an HCCI Engine”, Proceedings of the ASME/ IEEE Joint Rail Conference and the ASME Internal Combustion Engine Division, Spring Technical Conference 2007, p405-415, ISBN-13: 9780791847879.
- Li, Hailin, Neill, W.S., Chippior W.L., “An experimental investigation of HCCI combustion stability using n- Heptane,” Journal of Energy Resources Technology 134 (2): p022204 (8 pp.), 2012, doi:10.1115/1.4005700.
- Smallbone, A., Bhave, A., Coble, A., Mosbach, S. et al., “Simulating PM Emissions and Combustion Stability in Gasoline/Diesel Fuelled Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1184, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-01-1184.
- McTaggart-Cowan, G.P., Cong, S., Garner, C.P., et al, “Experimental study of low temperature diesel combustion sensitivity to engine operating parameters,” Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power 134(8): p082805 (11 pp.), 2012, doi:10.1115/1.4006377.
- Asad, U. and Zheng, M., “Tightened intake oxygen control for improving diesel low-temperature combustion”, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D (Journal of Automobile Engineering) 225 (4): 513-530, 2011, doi:10.1177/2041299110393211.
- Cong, S., McTaggart-Cowan, G., and Garner, C., “Effects of Fuel Injection Parameters on Low Temperature Diesel Combustion Stability,” SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0611, 2010, doi:10.4271/2010-01-0611.
- Tan, Y., Zheng, M., Reader, G., Han, X. et al., “An Enabling Study of Diesel Low Temperature Combustion via Adaptive Control,” SAE Int. J. Engines 2(1):750-763, 2009, doi:10.4271/2009-01-0730.
- Fu, Y.Y., Yang, Y.P., Ouyang, M.G., et al., “Research on close-loop control strategy of diesel engine based on in-cylinder pressure,” Chinese Society for Internal Combustion Engines 30(2):172-178, 2012.
- Qu, S., Shi, L., Deng, K.Y., “Closed-loop control of low temperature combustion and transition process of diesel engine,” Journal of Shanghai Jiaotong University 46 (4):540-544, 2012.
- Asad, U., Zheng, M., “Fast heat release characterization of a diesel engine,” International Journal of Thermal Sciences 47 (12): 1688-1700, 2008, doi:10.1016/j.ijthermalsci.2008.01.009.
- Zheng, M., Tan, Y., Mulenga, M., and Wang, M., “Thermal Efficiency Analyses of Diesel Low Temperature Combustion Cycles,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-4019, 2007, doi:10.4271/2007-01-4019.
- Asad, U. and Zheng, M., “Efficiency & Stability Improvements of Diesel Low Temperature Combustion through Tightened Intake Oxygen Control,” SAE Int. J. Engines 3(1):788-800, 2010, doi:10.4271/2010-01-1118.
- Strandh, P., Christensen, M., Bengtsson, J., Johansson, R. et al., “Ion Current Sensing for HCCI Combustion Feedback,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-3216, 2003, doi:10.4271/2003-01-3216.
- Huang, Y. and Mehta, D., “Investigation of an In-cylinder Ion Sensing Assisted HCCI Control Strategy,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0068, 2005, doi:10.4271/2005-01-0068.
- Mehresh, P., Dibble, R., and Flowers, D., “EGR effect on Ion Signal in HCCI Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-2126, 2005, doi:10.4271/2005-01-2126.
- Glavmo, M., Spadafora, P., and Bosch, R., “Closed Loop Start of Combustion Control Utilizing Ionization Sensing in a Diesel Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0549, 1999, doi:10.4271/1999-01-0549.
- Kubach, H., Velji, A., Spicher, U., and Fischer, W., “Ion Current Measurement in Diesel Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-2922, 2004, doi:10.4271/2004-01-2922.
- Vressner, A., Hultqvist, A., Tunestål, P., Johansson, B. et al., “Fuel Effects on Ion Current in an HCCI Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-2093, 2005, doi:10.4271/2005-01-2093.
- Badawy, T., Rai, N., Singh, J., et al, “Effect of design and operating parameters on the ion current in a singlecylinder diesel engine,” International Journal of Engine Research 12 (6): 601-616, 2011, doi:10.1177/1468087411412033.
- Heywood J. B., Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals, McGraw-Hill, 1988.
- Byttner, S., Rögnvaldsson, T., and Wickström, N., “Estimation of Combustion Variability Using In-cylinder Ionization Measurements,” SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-3485, 2001, doi:10.4271/2001-01-3485.
- Wasiu, S.O., Sulaiman, S.A., A., Aziz, R.A., “An experimental study of different effects of EGR rates on the performance and exhaust emissions of the stratified charge piston direct injection compressed natural gas engine,” Journal of Applied Sciences 11 (9):1479-1490, 2011, doi:10.3923/jas.2011.1479.1490.