This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Automatic Combustion Control for Calibration Purposes in a GDI Turbocharged Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Combustion phasing is crucial to achieve high performance and efficiency: for gasoline engines control variables such as Spark Advance (SA), Air-to-Fuel Ratio (AFR), Variable Valve Timing (VVT), Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR), Tumble Flaps (TF) can influence the way heat is released. The optimal control setting can be chosen taking into account performance indicators, such as Indicated Mean Effective Pressure (IMEP), Brake Specific Fuel Consumption (BSFC), pollutant emissions, or other indexes inherent to reliability issues, such as exhaust gas temperature, or knock intensity. Given the high number of actuations, the calibration of control parameters is becoming challenging.
Many different approaches can be used to reach the best calibration settings: Design Of Experiment (DOE) is a common option when many parameters influence the results, but other methodologies are in use: some of them are based on the knowledge of the controlled system behavior, by means of models that are identified during the calibration process.
The paper shows how the calibration can be managed using a different concept, based on the Extremum Seeking (ES) approach. The main idea consists in changing the values of each control parameter at the same time, identifying its effect on a cost or merit function (target function), allowing to shift automatically the control setting towards the optimum solution throughout the calibration procedure. The function is evaluated cycle by cycle, based on combustion analysis. Due to the control parameters continuous variations the target function values change: the ES objective is to drive the variations towards the setting minimizing the cost function.
The methodology has been applied to data referring to a GDI turbocharged engine, trying to maximize IMEP or minimize BSFC, while limiting the knock intensity and exhaust gas temperature, using SA, AFR and VVT as control variables. Experimental data referring to the considered engine have been used to feed a combustion model, allowing to test the calibration approach: results show that the ES-based calibration is able to automatically change SA, lambda and VVT values, taking into account all the constraints, and finally reaching the optimal control setting, independently of the starting setting.
CitationCorti, E., Forte, C., Cavina, N., Mancini, G. et al., "Automatic Combustion Control for Calibration Purposes in a GDI Turbocharged Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1346, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-1346.
- Robert Bosch GmbH Gasoline Engine Management John Wiley and sons, Ltd 2006
- Ponti , F. , Ravaglioli , V. , Serra , G. , and Stola , F. Instantaneous Engine Speed Measurement and Processing for MFB50 Evaluation SAE Int. J. Engines 2 2 235 244 2009 10.4271/2009-01-2747
- Ponti , F. , De Cesare , M. , and Ravaglioli , V. Development and Validation of a Methodology for Real-Time Evaluation of Cylinder by Cylinder Torque Production Non-Uniformities SAE Technical Paper 2011-24-0145 2011 10.4271/2011-24-0145
- Ravaglioli , V. , Ponti , F. , and Stola , F. Torsional Analysis of Different Powertrain Configurations for Torque and Combustion Phase Evaluation SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1544 2011 10.4271/2011-01-1544
- Ravaglioli , V. , Moro , D. , Serra , G. , and Ponti , F. MFB50 On-Board Evaluation Based on a Zero-Dimensional ROHR Model SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1420 2011 10.4271/2011-01-1420
- Hamedović , H. , Raichle , F. , Breuninger , J. , Fischer , W. et al. IMEP-Estimation and In-Cylinder Pressure Reconstruction for Multicylinder SI-Engine by Combined Processing of Engine Speed and One Cylinder Pressure SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0053 2005 10.4271/2005-01-0053
- Guillemin , F. , Grondin , O. , Chauvin , J. , and Nguyen , E. Combustion Parameters Estimation Based on Knock Sensor for Control Purpose Using Dedicated Signal Processing Platform SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-0790 2008 10.4271/2008-01-0790
- Rivara , N. , Dickinson , P. , and Shenton , A. Peak Pressure Position Control of Four Cylinders through the Ion Current Method SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-0235 2009 10.4271/2009-01-0235
- Montgomery D. G. Design and Analysis of Experiment Wiley & Sons 2000 0471316490
- Cavina , N. , Moro , D. , Poggio , L. , Zecchetti , D. et al. Individual Cylinder Combustion Control Based on Real-Time Processing of Ion Current Signals SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1510 2007 10.4271/2007-01-1510
- Guerrier , M. and Cawsey , P. The Development of Model Based Methodologies for Gasoline IC Engine Calibration SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-1466 2004 10.4271/2004-01-1466
- Jiang , S. , Nutter , D. , and Gullitti , A. Implementation of Model-Based Calibration for a Gasoline Engine SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0722 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0722
- Halliday T. , Lawrance A. J. , Davis T. P. Engine Mapping Experiments: a Two Stage Regression Approach Technometrics 40 120 126 1998
- Rose D. W. , Cary M. , Zulczyk S. B. , Sbaschnig R. , Ebrahimi K. M. An Engine Mapping Case Study - A Two Stage Regression Approach ImechE C606/025/2002 2002
- Morton T. M. , Knott S. Radial Basis Functions for Engine Modeling ImechE C606/022/2002 2002
- Suzuki , K. , Nemoto , M. , and Machida , K. Computer-Aided Calibration Methodology for Spark Advance Control Using Engine Cycle Simulation and Polynomial Regression Analysis SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-4023 2007 10.4271/2007-01-4023
- Eriksson , L. Spark advance for optimal efficiency SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0548 1999 10.4271/1999-01-0548
- Haskara I. , Zhu G. G. , Daniel C. F. , Winkelman J. On Combustion Invariance for MBT Timing Estimation and Control ICEF2004 ASME Fall Technical Conference, ICEF2004-835 2004
- Corti E. , Forte C. A Statistical Approach to Spark Advance Mapping Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power 132 8 082803 101115/1.4000294 2010
- Corti E. , Forte C. Spark Advance Real-Time Optimization Based on Combustion Analysis ASME ICEF Fall Technical Conference 2010
- Patterson , G. A Technique for Processing Cylinder Pressure and Test Bed Data Sets for Engine Speed-Sweep Tests to Allow Reduced Testing Time with Enhanced Interpretation of Results SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-3006 2008 10.4271/2008-01-3006
- Aryur K.B. , Krstic M. Real-Time Optimization by Extremum Seeking Control Wiley Interscience 2003
- Schneider , G. , Ariyur , K.B. , Krstic , M. Tuning of a Combustion Controller by Extremum Seeking: A Simulation Study 5 Proceedings of the 39th IEEE Conference on Decision and Control 2000 5219 5223
- Banazsuk A. , Zhang Y. , Jacobson C. A. Adaptive Control of Combustion Instability Using Extremum Seeking Proceedings of the American Control Conference Chicago IL 2000 416 422 10.1109/AAC.2000.878934
- Kalli B. , Caarls W. , Jonker P. , Wisse M. Comparison of Extremum Seeking Control Algorithms for Robotic Applications 2012 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems Vilamoura, Portugal 2012 10.1109/IROS.2012.6386180
- Cristofori , D. , Vacca , A. , and Ariyur , K. A Novel Pressure-Feedback Based Adaptive Control Method to Damp Instabilities in Hydraulic Machines SAE Int. J. Commer. Veh. 5 2 586 596 2012 10.4271/2012-01-2035
- Haskara , I. , Zhu , G. G. , Winkelmann , J. Multivariable EGR/Spark Timing Control for IC Engines via Extremum Seeking Proceedings of the 2006 American Control Conference Minneapolis, MN 2006 10.1109/ACC.2006.1656376
- Killingsworth , N. , Aceves , S. , Flowers , D. , Krstic , M. Extremum Seeking Tuning of an Experimental HCCI Engine Combustion Timing Controller Proceedings of the 2007 American Control Conference New York, USA 2007 10.1109/ACC.2007.4282765
- Flowers , D. , Killingsworth , N. , Espinosa-Loza , F. , Martinez-Frias , J. et al. Demonstrating Optimum HCCI Combustion with Advanced Control Technology SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1885 2009 10.4271/2009-01-1885
- Hellstrom , E. , Lee , D. , Jiang , L. , Stefanopoulou , A. G. , Yilmaz , H. On-board Calibration of Spark Timing by Extremum Seeking for Flex-Fuel Engines Control System Technology 99 10.1109/TCST.2012.2236093
- Corti E. , Forte C. , Mancini G. , Moro D. Automatic Combustion Phase Calibration with Extremum Seeking Approach ASME ICEF 2013 Conference, ICEF2013-19132 2013
- Leppard , W. Individual-Cylinder Knock Occurence and Intensity in Multicylinder Engines SAE Technical Paper 820074 1982 10.4271/820074
- Naber , J. , Blough , J. , Frankowski , D. , Goble , M. et al. Analysis of Combustion Knock Metrics in Spark-Ignition Engines SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0400 2006 10.4271/2006-01-0400
- Zhen , X. , Wang , Y. , Xu , S. , Zhu , Y. , Tao , C. , Xu , T. , & Song , M. 2012 The engine knock analysis - an overview Applied Energy 92 628 636
- Corti , E. , Mancini , G. , Moro , D. , Forte , C. Transient Spark Advance Calibration Approach SAE Technical Paper 13ICE0146 2013
- Cavina , N. , Corti , E. , & Moro , D. 2010 Closed-loop individual cylinder air-fuel ratio control via UEGO signal spectral analysis Control Engineering Practice 18 11 1295 1306 10.1016/j.conengprac.2009.12.002
- Peyton Jones , J , Spelina , J. , Frey , J. An Optimal Cum-Sum Based Knock Controller FrB1.4 presented at the AAC2013 Tokyo 2013