This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effects of Compression Ratio and Valve Overlap on Feasibility of HCNG Engines for Heavy-Duty Vehicles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
To counteract the harmful effects of vehicle emissions on humans and the environment, such as global warming due to greenhouse gases, there is a focus on gaseous fuels as an alternative energy source of transportation. Heavy-duty natural gas vehicles are widely used to improve the air quality of urban areas in Korea because natural gas has the advantage of low greenhouse gas emission levels. However, more in-depth study is required in order for clean fuel vehicles to hold a dominant position over well-developed diesel vehicles. It is difficult to meet reinforced emission standards with only a lean combustion strategy without an aftertreatment system in a lean-burn natural gas engine.
Hydrogen-natural gas (HCNG) blends have been proposed as an alternative to improve fuel economy and emissions of lean-burn natural gas engines, since they have a wider flammability range and faster burning speed. HCNG blends could also play a role as a technical bridge for the hydrogen era. In the present study, the feasibility of HCNG engines was assessed with the use of compression ratio and valve overlap changes as part of an effort to develop an HCNG engine with an 11 L heavy-duty lean-burn natural gas engine. Torque and emission levels were evaluated, in light of the requirement for commercialization, at the maximum torque operation point. Torque and NOx emission levels meeting the required specifications and emission standards were achieved with optimization of operation parameters.
CitationPark, C., Kim, C., Lim, G., Lee, S. et al., "Effects of Compression Ratio and Valve Overlap on Feasibility of HCNG Engines for Heavy-Duty Vehicles," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1338, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-1338.
- Cho , H. M. and He , B.-Q. Combustion and Emission Characteristics of a Lean Burn Natural Gas Engine Int. J. Automot. Technol. 9 4 415 422 2008 10.1007/s12239-008-0050-5
- Turrio-Baldassarri , L. , Battistelli , C.L. , Cont L. , Crebelli , R. et al. Evaluation of Emission Toxicity of Urban Bus Engines: Compressed Natural Gas and Comparison with Liquid Fuels Sci. Total Environ. 355 1-3 64 77 2006 10.1016/j.scitotenv.2005.02.037
- Collier , K. , Mulligan , N. , Shin , D. , and Brandon , S. Emission Results from the New Development of A Dedicated Hydrogen - Enriched Natural Gas Heavy Duty Engine SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0235 2005 10.4271/2005-01-0235
- Akansu , S.O. , Dulger , Z. , Kahraman , N. , and Veziroǧlu , T.N. Internal Combustion Engines Fueled by Natural Gas-Hydrogen Mixtures Int. J. Hydrog. Energy 29 14 1527 1539 2004 10.1016/j.ijhydene.2004.01.018
- Kavathekar , K. , Rairikar , S. , and Thipse , S. Development of a CNG Injection Engine Compliant to Euro-IV Norms and Development Strategy for HCNG Operation SAE Technical Paper 2007-26-029 2007 10.4271/2007-26-029
- Ma , F. , Ding , S. , Wang , Y. , Wang , M. et al. Performance and Emission Characteristics of a Spark-Ignition (SI) Hydrogen-Enriched Compressed Natural Gas (HCNG) Engine under Various Operating Conditions Including Idle Conditions Energy Fuels 23 6 3113 3118 2009 10.1021/ef900144s
- Park , C. , Kim , C. , Choi , Y. , Won , S. et al. The Influences of Hydrogen on the Performance and Emission Characteristics of a Heavy Duty Natural Gas Engine Int. J. Hydrog. Energy 36 5 3739 3745 2011 10.1016/j.ijhydene.2010.12.021
- Bysveen , M. Engine Characteristics of Emissions and Performance Using Mixtures of Natural Gas and Hydrogen Energy 32 4 482 489 2007 10.1016/j.energy.2006.07.032
- Park , C. , Kim , C. , and Choi , Y. Power Output Characteristics of Hydrogen-Natural Gas Blend Fuel Engine at Different Compression Ratios Int. J. Hydrog. Energy 37 10 8681 8687 2012 10.1016/j.ijhydene.2012.02.052
- Munshi , S. , Nedelcu , C. , Harris , J. , Edwards , T. et al. Hydrogen Blended Natural Gas Operation of a Heavy Duty Turbocharged Lean Burn Spark Ignition Engine SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-2956 2004 10.4271/2004-01-2956
- Park , C. , Lim , G. , Lee , S. , Kim , C. et al. Effects of the Ignition Timing Retard and the Compression Ratio on the Full-Load Performance and the Emissions Characteristics of a Heavy-Duty Engine Fuelled by Hydrogen-Natural-Gas Blends Proc. Inst. Mech. Eng. Part J. Automob. Eng. 227 9 1295 1302 2013 10.1177/0954407013495528
- Yousufuddin , S. and Masood , M. Effect of Ignition Timing and Compression Ratio on the Performance of a Hydrogen-Ethanol Fuelled Engine 4th Dubr. Conf. 4th Dubr. Conf. 34 16 6945 6950 2009 10.1016/j.ijhydene.2009.05.122
- Ma , F. , Wang , M. , Jiang , L. , Chen , R. et al. Performance and Emission Characteristics of a Turbocharged CNG Engine Fueled by Hydrogen-Enriched Compressed Natural Gas with High Hydrogen Ratio Int. J. Hydrog. Energy 35 12 6438 6447 2010 10.1016/j.ijhydene.2010.03.111
- Lim , G. , Lee , S. , Park , C. , Choi , Y. et al. Effects of Compression Ratio on Performance and Emission Characteristics of Heavy-Duty SI Engine Fuelled with HCNG Int. J. Hydrog. Energy 38 11 4831 4838 2013 10.1016/j.ijhydene.2013.01.188
- Jang , J. , Yeom , K. , and Bae , C. Effects of Exhaust Throttling on Engine Performance and Residual Gas in an SI Engine SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-2974 2004 10.4271/2004-01-2974
- Myung , C.L. , Choi , K.H. , Hwang , I.G. , Lee , K.H. et al Effects of Valve Timing and Intake Flow Motion Control on Combustion and Time-Resolved HC & NOx Formation Characteristics Int. J. Automot. Technol. 10 2 161 166 2009 10.1007/s12239-009-0019-z