This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Simultaneous Reduction of NO X and Soot in a Diesel Engine through RCCI Operation with PFI of n-butanol and DI of Cottonseed Biodiesel
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This study presents the combustion and emissions characteristics of Reactivity Controlled Combustion Ignition (RCCI) produced by early port fuel injection (PFI) of low reactivity n-butanol (normal butanol) coupled with in cylinder direct injection (DI) of cottonseed biodiesel in a diesel engine. The combustion and emissions characteristics were investigated at 5.5 bars IMEP at 1400 RPM. The baseline was taken from the combustion and emissions of ULSD #2 which had an ignition delay of 13° CAD or 1.5ms. The PFI of n-butanol and DI of cottonseed biodiesel strategy showed a shorter ignition delay of 12° CAD or 1.45ms, because of the higher CN of biodiesel. The combustion proceeded first by the ignition of the pilot (cottonseed biodiesel) BTDC that produced a premixed combustion phase, followed by the ignition of n-butanol that produced a second spike in heat release at 2° CAD ATDC. The addition of n-butanol into the cycle reduced the compression and peak temperature by 100K and resulted in 35% NOx and 90% soot reduction. Adding 20% cooled EGR further reduced the NOx to a total of 50%. The results suggest that early PFI of n-butanol combined with cottonseed biodiesel resulting in RCCI, may be an effective way of reducing emissions of NOx and soot when compared to the baseline of ULSD #2.
|Technical Paper||Particle Size and Number Emissions from RCCI with Direct Injections of Two Fuels|
|Journal Article||Comparison of Particulate Size Distributions from Advanced and Conventional Combustion - Part I: CDC, HCCI, and RCCI|
- Valentin Soloiu - Georgia Southern Univ.
- Alejandro Rivero-Castillo - Georgia Southern Univ.
- Martin Muinos - Georgia Southern Univ.
- Marvin Duggan - Georgia Southern Univ.
- Spencer Harp - Georgia Southern Univ.
- Wallace Peavy - Georgia Southern Univ.
- Sven Wolter - Georgia Southern Univ.
- Brian Vlcek - Georgia Southern Univ.
CitationSoloiu, V., Rivero-Castillo, A., Muinos, M., Duggan, M. et al., "Simultaneous Reduction of NOX and Soot in a Diesel Engine through RCCI Operation with PFI of n-butanol and DI of Cottonseed Biodiesel," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1322, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-1322.
- U.S. EPA's Office of Transportation and Air Quality Second Report to Congress: Highlights of the Diesel Emissions Reduction Program 2012
- Johnson , T. Vehicular Emissions in Review SAE Int. J. Engines 5 2 216 234 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0368
- Johnson , T. Vehicular Emissions in Review SAE Int. J. Engines 6 2 699 715 2013 10.4271/2013-01-0538
- U.S. Government Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007 2007
- Olsson , J. , Tunestål , P. , Ulfvik , J. , and Johansson , B. The Effect of Cooled EGR on Emissions and Performance of a Turbocharged HCCI Engine SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0743 2003 10.4271/2003-01-0743
- Soloiu , V. , Duggan , M. , Ochieng , H. , Harp , S. et al. Premixed Charge of n-Butanol Coupled with Direct Injection of Biodiesel for an Advantageous Soot-NOx Trade-Off SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0916 2013 10.4271/2013-01-0916
- Curran , S. , Hanson , R. , Wagner , R. , and Reitz , R. Efficiency and Emissions Mapping of RCCI in a Light-Duty Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0289 2013 10.4271/2013-01-0289
- Walker , N. , Dempsey , A. , Andrie , M. , and Reitz , R. Use of Low-Pressure Direct-Injection for Reactivity Controlled Compression Ignition (RCCI) Light-Duty Engine Operation SAE Int. J. Engines 6 2 1222 1237 2013 10.4271/2013-01-1605
- Pohlkamp , K. and Reitz , R. Reactivity Controlled Compression Ignition (RCCI) in a Single-Cylinder Air-Cooled HSDI Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 2012-32-0074 2012 10.4271/2012-32-0074
- Kokjohn , S. , Hanson , R. , Splitter , D. , and Reitz , R. Experiments and Modeling of Dual-Fuel HCCI and PCCI Combustion Using In-Cylinder Fuel Blending SAE Int. J. Engines 2 2 24 39 2009 10.4271/2009-01-2647
- Rakopoulos , C.D. , Dimaratos , A.M. , Giakoumis , E.G. and Rakopoulos , D.C. Study of turbocharged diesel engine operation, pollutant emissions and combustion noise radiation during starting with bio-diesel or n-butanol diesel fuel blends Applied Energy 88 11 2011 3905 3916 10.1016/j.apenergy.2011.03.051
- Kumar , M. and Gayen , K. Developments in biobutanol production: new insights Applied Energy 88 6 2011 1999 2012 10.1016/j.apenergy.2010.12.055
- Nabi , N. , Rahman , M. , and Akhter , S. Biodiesel from cotton seed oil and its effect on engine performance and exhaust emissions Applied Thermal Engineering 29 11-12 2009 2265 2270 10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2008.11.009
- Zheng , M. , Reader , G.T. , and Hawley , J.G. Diesel engine exhaust gas recirculation--a review on advanced and novel concepts Energy Conversion and Management 45 6 2004 883 900 10.1016/S0196-8904(03)00194-8
- Egnell , R. The Influence of EGR on Heat Release Rate and NO Formation in a DI Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-1807 2000 10.4271/2000-01-1807
- Ferreira Squaiella , L.L. , Martins , C.A. and Lacava , P.T. Strategies for emission control in diesel engine to meet Euro VI Fuel 104 2013 183 193 10.1016/j.fuel.2012.07.027
- Chen , Z. , Liu , J. , Wu , Z. , and Lee , C. Effects of port fuel injection (PFI) of n-butanol and EGR on combustion and emissions of a direct injection diesel engine Energy Conversion and Management 76 2013 725 731 10.1016/j.enconman.2013.08.030
- U.S. Department of Agriculture Crop Production 2012 Summary 2013
- Conti , J. , and Holtberg , P. Annual Energy Outlook 2011 with Projections to 2035 United States Department of Energy Information. Office of Integrated and International Energy Analysis 2011
- Di Blasio , G. , Beatrice , C. , Dijkstra , R. , and Boot , M. Low Cetane Number Renewable Oxy-fuels for Premixed Combustion Concept Application: Experimental Investigation on a Light Duty Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1310 2012 10.4271/2012-01-1310
- Bobba , M. , Genzale , C. , and Musculus , M. Effect of Ignition Delay on In-Cylinder Soot Characteristics of a Heavy Duty Diesel Engine Operating at Low Temperature Conditions SAE Int. J. Engines 2 1 911 924 2009 10.4271/2009-01-0946
- Department of Energy 2013 Alternative Fuel Data Center http://www.afdc.energy.gov/fuels/fuel_comparison_chart.pdf
- Lapuerta , M. , Garcia-Contreras , R. , Campos Fernandez , J. , & Pilar Dorado , M. 2010 Stability, Lubricity, Viscosity, and Cold-Flow Properties of Alcohol Diesel Blends Energy & Fuels 24 4497 4502 10.1021/ef100498u
- Bamgboye , A. , and Hansen , A. Prediction of Cetane Number of Biodiesel Fuel from the Fatty Acid Methyl Ester (FAME) Composition International Agrophysics 22 1 21 29 2008
- Soloiu V. , Weaver J. Duggan M. , Ochieng H. , Vlcek B. , Williams D. , and Jansons M. Methyl oleate evaluation as a model fuel for peanuts FAME, in an indirect injection diesel engine Proceedings of the ASME 2010 Internal Combustion Engine Division Fall Technical Conference ASME San Antonio, TX 2012
- Pishinger , G., M. , Falcon , A., M. , Siekmann , R., W. , and Fernandes , F., R. Methyl Esters of Plant Oils as Diesel Fuels, Either Straight or in Blends Vegetable Oil Fuels 4 82 1982
- Marchetti , J., M. , Miguel , V., U. , and Errazu , A., F. , Possible Methods for Biodiesel Production Renewable Energy Reviews FAO Press Rome, Italy (in press) 2007
- Fan X. , Wang X. , Feng C. , Geller D.P. , Wan P.J. Engine Performance Test of Cotton-seed Oil Biodiesel Energy and Fuels 1 40 45 2008
- Soloiu , V. , Weaver , J. , Ochieng , H. , Duggan , M. , Davoud , S. , Harp , S. , Molina , G. , and Vlcek , B. Cotton seed FAME Combustion and Emissions Research in a DI diesel engine Proceedings of the ASME 2013 Internal Combustion Engine Division Fall Technical Conference ASME Dearborn, MI 2013
- Soloiu , V. , Duggan , M. , Ochieng , H. , Williams , D. , Molina , G. , Vlcek , B. Investigation of Low Temperature Combustion Regimes of Biodiesel with n-Butanol in the Intake Manifold of a Compression Ignition Engine ASME Internal Combustion Engine Division, ICEF2012-92053 2012
- Soloiu , V. , Lewis , J. , Covington , A. , Nelson , D. et al. Oleic Methyl Ester Investigations in an Indirect Injection Diesel Engine; Stage One: Combustion Investigations SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 4 1 58 75 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0616
- Annand , W. J. D. , Ma , T. H. Instantaneous Heat Transfer Rates to the Cylinder Head Surface of a Small Compression-Ignition Engine Proc. Instn. Mech. Engrs 185 1971 976 987
- Graboski , M.S. and McCormick , R.L. Combustion of fat and vegetable oil derived fuels in diesel engines Progress in Energy and Combustion Science 24 2 1998 125 164 10.1016/S0360-1285(97)00034-8
- Borman , G. and Nishiwaki , K. Internal-combustion engine heat-transfer Progress in Energy and Combustion Science 13 1 1 46 1987
- Hoekman , S.K. and Robbins , C. Review of the effects of biodiesel on NOx emissions Fuel Processing Technology 96 237 249 2011
- Midwest Biofuels, Inc. Biodiesel Cetane Number Engine Testing Comparison to Calculated Cetane Index Number Final Report to the National Biodiesel Board New York 1993
- Gragg K. Effects of Environmentally Classified Diesel Fuels, RME and Blends of Diesel Fuels and RME on the Exhaust Emissions Final Report, Swedish Environ. Prot. Agency Bilprovning Press Stockholm, Sweden 1994
- Lang X. , Dalai A.K. , Bakhshi N.N. , Reany M.J. , and Hertz P.B. Preparation and characterization of bio-diesels from various bio-oils Bioresource Technology 80 53 62 2001
- Soloiu , V. , Duggan , M. , Harp , S. , Vlcek , B. , and Williams , D. PFI (port fuel injection) of n-butanol and direct injection of biodiesel to attain LTC (low-temperature combustion) for low-emissions idling in a compression engine Energy 52 143 154 2013