This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental Study for the Effect of Fuel Properties on the Ion Current, Combustion, and Emission in a High Speed Diesel Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents experimental study on the impact of using fuels with different physical and chemical properties in a diesel engine. Research is driven towards finding an alternative or extender to the conventional diesel fuel for compression ignition engines. Such alternative fuels have wide ranges of physical and chemical properties which are not suitable for CI engines. Advanced injection systems and control strategies in modern diesel engines permit operation to be extended to a wider range of fuels. Therefore, experimental investigation to understand the effects of different fuels on engine performance, combustion, and emissions are necessary.
The study covers the effect of using different fuels such as JP-8 and Sasol-IPK on a modern automotive diesel engine. The engine used in this study is a 2.0L, 4 cylinders, direct injection diesel engine fitted with piezo-driven injectors. Comparative results of three fuels are presented in terms of performance, fuel consumption, auto-ignition and emission considering ULSD as a baseline fuel. This work aims to identify the possibility of using jet fuels in a modern automotive diesel engine without any modifications. In addition, the combustion process was monitored using cylinder pressure transducer and ion current sensor. Ion current signal characteristics during the operation with the three fuels and its correlations with combustion parameters and emissions are presented.
CitationGeorge, R., Badawy, T., and Henein, N., "Experimental Study for the Effect of Fuel Properties on the Ion Current, Combustion, and Emission in a High Speed Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1263, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-1263.
- Yu , S. , Song , H. , Min , K. , Choi , H. et al. Development of Engine Control Using the In-Cylinder Pressure Signal in a High Speed Direct Injection Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1418 2011 10.4271/2011-01-1418
- Wlodarczyk , M. , Poorman , T. , Xia , L. , Arnold , J. et al. In-Cylinder Fiber-Optic Pressure Sensors for Monitoring and Control of Diesel Engines SAE Technical Paper 981913 1998 10.4271/981913
- Toth , D. , Shaw , T. , Wlodarczyk , M. , and Cummings , C. Cylinder Head Gasket with Integrated Combustion Pressure Sensors for Advanced Engine Controls SAE Int. J. Engines 4 1 1235 1246 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0938
- Glavmo , M. , Spadafora , P. , and Bosch , R. Closed Loop Start of Combustion Control Utilizing Ionization Sensing in a Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0549 1999 10.4271/1999-01-0549
- Henein , N. A. , Badawy , T. , Rai , N. , and Bryzik , W. Ion Current, Combustion and Emission Characteristics in an Automotive Common Rail Diesel Engine Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power 134 4 042801 042807 2012
- Adair , J. , Viele , M. , and Dyne , E. V. Ion Sensing For Off-Highway Diesel Engine to Meet Future Emission Regulations ASME, no. ICES 2006-1332 2006
- Kubach , H. , Velji , A. , Spicher , U. , and Fischer , W. Ion Current Measurement in Diesel Engines SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-2922 2004 10.4271/2004-01-2922
- Saitzkoff , A. , Reinmann , R. , Berglind , T. , and Glavmo , M. An Ionization Equilibrium Analysis of the Spark Plug as an Ionization Sensor SAE Technical Paper 960337 1996 10.4271/960337
- Henein , N. , Bryzik , W. , Abdel-Rehim , A. , and Gupta , A. Characteristics of Ion Current Signals in Compression Ignition and Spark Ignition Engines SAE Int. J. Engines 3 1 260 281 2010 10.4271/2010-01-0567
- Schihl , P. and Hoogterp-Decker , L. On the Ignition Behavior of JP-8 in Military Relevant Diesel Engines SAE Int. J. Engines 4 1 1 13 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0119
- Papagiannakis , R. , Kotsiopoulos , P. , Hountalas , D. , and Yfantis , E. Single Fuel Research Program Comparative Results of the Use of JP-8 Aviation Fuel versus Diesel Fuel on a Direct Injection and Indirect Injection Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-1673 2006 10.4271/2006-01-1673
- Nargunde , J. , Jayakumar , C. , Sinha , A. , Acharya , K. et al. Comparison between Combustion, Performance and Emission Characteristics of JP-8 and Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel in a Single Cylinder Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-1123 2010 10.4271/2010-01-1123
- Pickett , L. and Hoogterp , L. Fundamental Spray and Combustion Measurements of JP-8 at Diesel Conditions SAE Int. J. Commer. Veh. 1 1 108 118 2008 10.4271/2008-01-1083
- Badawy , T. , Henein , N. , and Bryzik , W. Closed Loop Control Using Ion Current Signal in a Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-2433 2012 10.4271/2011-01-2433
- Badawy , T. , Rai , N. , Singh , J. , Bryzik , W. , and Henein , N. Effect of design and operating parameters on the ion current in a single-cylinder diesel engine International Journal of Engine Research 2011
- Ickes A M , Bohac S V , and Assanis D N Effect of fuel cetane number on a premixed diesel combustion mode International Journal of Engine Research 2009
- Schihl , P. , decker-hoogterp , L. , pence , K. , and leonard , K. On the Premixed Phase Combustion Behavior of JP-8 in a Military Relevant Single Cylinder Diesel Engine SAE Int. J. Engines 4 1 27 37 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0123
- Rai , N. D. Measurement and Analysis of Ion Current Signal in an Automotive Common Rail Diesel Engine Master of Science - Thesis Wayne State University 2010