This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Fluid-Dynamic Modeling and Advanced Control Strategies for a Gaseous-Fuel Injection System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Sustainable mobility has become a major issue for internal combustion engines and has led to increasing research efforts in the field of alternative fuels, such as bio-fuel, CNG and hydrogen addition, as well as into engine design and control optimization. To that end, a thorough control of the air-to-fuel ratio appears to be mandatory in SI engine in order to meet the even more stringent thresholds set by the current regulations. The accuracy of the air/fuel mixture highly depends on the injection system dynamic behavior and to its coupling to the engine fluid-dynamic. Thus, a sound investigation into the mixing process can only be achieved provided that a proper analysis of the injection rail and of the injectors is carried out.
The present paper carries out a numerical investigation into the fluid dynamic behavior of a commercial CNG injection system by means of a 0D-1D code. The model has been validated by comparing the experimental readings to the numerical outputs in terms of injection system pressure profiles versus time. The model has hence been applied to the prediction of the pressure waves produced by the injection event and of their effect on the actually injected fuel.
Experimental results have shown the effectiveness of the predictive model. A general good match between the predicted values and the measured rail pressure and injected fuel mass flow rates has been observed over a wide range of engine operation conditions. Moreover, the dynamic simulations have brought out a reduced independence of the injected fuel mass on the average rail pressure level, which further reduced for increasing engine power outputs. Moreover, the results have proved that the correct simulation of the system behavior relies on the consistent characterization of the pressure regulator functioning. It is worth observing that the full fluid dynamic characterization of the rail allows for the design of optimal control strategies so as to meet the engine requirements.
CitationMisul, D., Baratta, M., and Kheshtinejad, H., "Fluid-Dynamic Modeling and Advanced Control Strategies for a Gaseous-Fuel Injection System," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1096, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-1096.
- d'Ambrosio , S. , Spessa , E. , Vassallo , A. , Ferrera , M. et al. Experimental Investigation of Fuel Consumption, Exhaust Emissions and Heat Release of a Small-Displacement Turbocharged CNG Engine SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0049 2006 10.4271/2006-01-0049
- Li , H. , and Karim , G.A. Modeling the Performance of a Turbo-Charged Spark Ignition Natural Gas Engine With Cooled Exhaust Gas Recirculation ASME Transactions, Journal of Eng. For Gas Turbines and Power 128 032804-1 10 2008
- Catania , A. , Misul , D. , Spessa , E. , and Martorana , G. Conversion of a Multivalve Gasoline Engine to Run on CNG SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0673 2000 10.4271/2000-01-0673
- Kato , K. , Igarashi , K. , Masuda , M. , Otsubo , K. et al. Development of Engine for Natural Gas Vehicle SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0574 1999 10.4271/1999-01-0574
- A-Aziz , A. and Firmansyah The Effect of Fuel Rail Pressure on the Performance of a CNG-Direct Injection Engine SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1498 2009 10.4271/2009-01-1498
- Middleton , A. , Neumann , B. , and Khatri , D. Development of Dedicated CNG Engine with Multipoint Gas Injection System SAE Technical Paper 2008-28-0014 2008 10.4271/2008-28-0014
- Middleton , A. , Neumann , B. , and Khatri , D. Natural Gas Injection System for Buses and Trucks - Potential to Achieve Future Performance and Emission Norms SAE Technical Paper 2007-26-026 2007 10.4271/2007-26-026
- Liu , C. , Chen , R. , and Hussain , S. Development of Gaseous Injector for Propane and CNG, Part I SAE Technical Paper 981355 1998 10.4271/981355
- Dyntar , D. , Onder , C. , and Guzzella , L. Modeling and Control of CNG Engines SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-1295 2002 10.4271/2002-01-1295
- Fry , M. , King , J. , and White , C. A Comparison of Gasoline Direct Injection Systems and Discussion of Development Techniques SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0171 1999 10.4271/1999-01-0171
- Lino P. , Maione B. , and Rizzo A. Nonlinear modelling and control of a common rail injection system for diesel engines Applied mathematical modelling 31 9 1770 1784 Sep. 2007
- HaiFeng S. , YouTong Z. , Jun W. , and LianDa L. Researches of common-rail diesel engine emission control based on cylinder pressure feedback Proc. of IEEE Vehicle Power and Propulsion Conference Haerbin Heilongjiang, China 2008
- Tomishima , H. , Matsumoto , T. , Oki , M. , and Nagata , K. The Advanced Diesel Common Rail System for Achieving a Good Balance Between Ecology and Economy SAE Technical Paper 2008-28-0017 2008 10.4271/2008-28-0017
- Tomforde M. , Jeinsch T. , Blath J. , and Dnow H. Modelling of a fuel supply system for model-based calibration Proc. of the 17th IFAC World Congress Seoul, South Korea 2008
- Linoa , P. , Maionea , B. , Amorese , C. Modelling and predictive control of a new injection system for compressed natural gas engines J. Control Engineering Practice 16 2008 1216 1230
- Amorese , C. , De Matthaeis , S. , De Michele , O. , & Satriano , A. The gaseous fuel option: LPG and CNG Proceedings of the International Conference on Vehicles Alternative Fuel System & Environmental Protection Dublin, Ireland 2004
- Pan , C. , Li , M. , and Hussain , S. Fuel Pressure Control for Gaseous Fuel Injection Systems SAE Technical Paper 981397 1998 10.4271/981397
- Dellino , G. , Lino , P. , Meloni , C. , Rizzo , A. Multidisciplinary Design Optimization of a Pressure Controller for CNG Injection Systems Proceedings of the 2006 IEEE Conference on Computer Aided Control Systems Design Munich, Germany October 4 6 2006
- Gupta , V. , Zhang , Z. , Sun , Z. Modeling and control of a novel pressure regulation mechanism for common rail fuel injection systems J. Applied Mathematical Modeling 35 2011 3473 3483
- Huhtala , K. and Vilenius , M. Study of a common rail fuel injection system SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-3184 2001 10.4271/2001-01-3184
- Catania A.E. , Ferrari A. , Manno M. , Spessa E. Experimental investigation of dynamics effects on multiple-injection common rail system performance J. Eng. Gas Turb Power, ASME 130 2008
- Hu , Q. , Wu , S. , Lai , M. , Stottler , S. et al. Prediction of Pressure Fluctuations Inside an Automotive Fuel Rail System SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0561 1999 10.4271/1999-01-0561 Chung N.-H. , Oh B.-G. , Sunwoo M.-H. Modelling and injection rate estimation of common-rail injectors for direct-injection diesel engines Proc. IMechE Part D: J. Automob. Eng. 222 2008
- Baratta , M. , Gazzilli , G. , Gerini , A. , Misul , D. , Spessa , E. Fluid-Dynamic Characterization of a CNG Injection System Proceedings of the ASME 2012 Internal Combustion Engine Division Spring Technical Conference ICES2012 May 6 9 2012 Torino, Piemonte, Italy