This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Simulated Analysis of the Lubrication Circuit of an In-Line Twin Automotive Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In recent years, the need to optimize the performance and reduce exhaust emissions of internal combustion engines has caused the design of the auxiliary (like lubrication and cooling pumps) to assume a particular importance. This is especially due to the necessity to obtain higher efficiency with less expense in terms of work assigned to these organs. With respect to the lubrication circuit, this means the use of solutions that allow the optimization of the fluid dynamics of both the ducts and the pump.
This work is based on a simulated analysis carried out on the lubrication circuit of a light duty internal combustion engine, developed by Fiat and equipped with a hydraulic VVT system.
The lubrication circuit model was build up with the commercial 1D code LMS Imagine.Lab AMESim®, developed by LMS® (a Siemens Business division) with the aim to estimating the variation of the oil consumption of the circuit components (crankshaft bearings, piston cooling jets, etc.) with varying engine speed, load and oil temperature.
The simulation model reproduced all the lubrication circuit components and ducts. Special attention was dedicated to the detailed modelling of the pump by simulating its volume variation during the pump shaft revolutions. The oil was also modeled taking into account the variation in viscosity with changes in temperature and cavitation phenomena.
The complete model was validated with experimental data (oil pressure/flow rate) achieved in the course of experiments performed on the test bench of a manufacturer's engine.
The model allowed the simulation of several engine running conditions, including idle, in order to obtain a map of the oil consumption of the different circuit users in different conditions. An investigation was carried out to analyze and identify the causes underlying pressure oscillations, observed during the first experimental tests in idle condition, by studying the oil consumption of each component during an engine cycle.
CitationDe Vizio, A., Senatore, A., Buono, D., Frosina, E. et al., "A Simulated Analysis of the Lubrication Circuit of an In-Line Twin Automotive Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1081, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-1081.
- Senatore , A. , Buono , D. , Cardone , M. , Dominici , A. Fluid-dynamic Analysis of a High Performance Engine Lubricant Circuit SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1963 2007 10.4271/2007-01-1963
- Mian , A. , Parker , D. , and Williams , B. Measured Crankshaft Bearing Oil Flow and Temperatures with a Full and Partial Groove Main Bearing SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-1341 2000 10.4271/2000-01-1341
- Cardone , M. , Senatore , A. , Buono , D. , Gustato , M. et al. Simulated Analysis of a Motorbike High Performance Lubrication Circuit SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-1647 2008 10.4271/2008-01-1647
- Buono , D. , Senatore , A. , Prati , M. , and Manganelli , M. Analysis of the Cooling Plant of a High Performance Motorbike Engine SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0354 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0354
- Qatu , M. , Dougherty , M. , and Smid , G. Measurement of Fluid Bulk Modulus Using Impedance of Hydraulic Circuits SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0942 1999 10.4271/1999-01-0942
- Stachowiak G. W. , Batchelor A. W. Engineering Tribology Butterworth Heinemann 2001
- Mancò , S. , Nervegna , N. , Rundo , M. , Armenio , G. et al. Gerotor Lubricating Oil Pump for IC Engines SAE Technical Paper 982689 1998 10.4271/982689
- Lingeswaramurthy , P. , Jayabhaskar , J. , Elayaraja , R. , and Suresh Kumar , J. Development of Analytical Model for Design of Gerotor Oil Pump and Experimental Validation SAE Int. J. Engines 4 1 441 449 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0402
- Fabiani , M. , Mancò , S. , Nervegna , N. , Rundo , M. et al. Modelling and Simulation of Gerotor Gearing in Lubricating Oil Pumps SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0626 1999 10.4271/1999-01-0626
- Neyrat , S. , Orand , N. , and Jonquet , D. Modeling and Analysis of an Automatic Transmission Internal Gear Oil Pump with Cavitation SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-2448 2005 10.4271/2005-01-2448
- Zhang , D. , Perng , C. , and Laverty , M. Gerotor Oil Pump Performance and Flow/Pressure Ripple Study SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0359 2006 10.4271/2006-01-0359
- Tinaut , F. , Melgar , A. , Giménez , B. , Fernández , L. et al. A Method to Determine the Two Components of the Crankshaft Load on a Bearing Cap in Firing Engines SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-1340 2000 10.4271/2000-01-1340