This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Methodology to Mimic Cycle to Cycle Variations and to Predict Knock Occurrence through Numerical Simulation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In this paper a novel approach to mimic through numerical simulation Cycle-to-Cycle Variations (CCV) of the combustion process of Spark Ignition (SI) engines is described. The proposed methodology allows to reproduce the variability in combustion which is responsible for knock occurrence and thus to replicate the stochastic behavior of this abnormal combustion phenomenon.
On the basis of the analysis of a comprehensive database of experimental data collected on a typical European downsized and turbocharged SI engine, the proposed approach was demonstrated to be capable to replicate in the simulation process the same percentage of knocking cycles experimentally measured in light-knock conditions, after a proper calibration of the Kinetics-Fit (KF), a new phenomenological knock model which was recently developed by Gamma Technologies.
Finally, the capability of the proposed methodology, coupled with the usage of the KF knock model, to correctly identify the Knock Limited Spark Advance (KLSA) on the basis both of the CCV-replicating model and of a more traditional average-cycle simulation was assessed over a wide range of different operating conditions, thus confirming its reliability and robustness.
CitationMillo, F., Rolando, L., Pautasso, E., and Servetto, E., "A Methodology to Mimic Cycle to Cycle Variations and to Predict Knock Occurrence through Numerical Simulation," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1070, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-1070.
- Königstein , A. , Larsson , P.-I. , Grebe , U. D. , Wu , K.-J. Differentiated Analysis of Downsizing Concepts MTZ worldwide Edition 2008 06 69
- Heywood J. B. Internal Combustion Engine McGraw-Hill 1988
- Pirelli , M. , Di Caprio , F. , Torella , E. , Mastrangelo , G. et al. Fun to Drive and Fuel Economy: the New 1,4 16v Turbo Gasoline Engine from FIAT Powertrain Technologies SAE Technical Paper 2007-24-0062 2007 10.4271/2007-24-0062
- Millo , F. and Ferraro , C. Knock in S.I. Engines: A Comparison between Different Techniques for Detection and Control SAE Technical Paper 982477 1998 10.4271/982477
- Leppard , W. Individual-Cylinder Knock Occurence and Intensity in Multicylinder Engines SAE Technical Paper 820074 1982 10.4271/820074
- Puzinauskas , P. Examination of Methods Used to Characterize Engine Knock SAE Technical Paper 920808 1992 10.4271/920808
- Arrigoni , V. , Cornetti , G. , Gaetani , B. , Ghezzi , P. Quantitative Systems for Measuring Knock Proc. Instn. Mech. Engrs. 186 48/72 575 1972
- Ciesla , C. , Keribar , R. , and Morel , T. Engine/Powertrain/Vehicle Modeling Tool Applicable to All Stages of the Design Process SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0934 2000 10.4271/2000-01-0934
- Morel , T. , Keribar , R. , and Leonard , A. “Virtual Engine/Powertrain/Vehicle” Simulation Tool Solves Complex Interacting System Issues SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0372 2003 10.4271/2003-01-0372
- Worret , R. , Bernhardt , S. , Schwarz , F. , and Spicher , U. Application of Different Cylinder Pressure Based Knock Detection Methods in Spark Ignition Engines SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-1668 2002 10.4271/2002-01-1668
- Naik , C. , Pitz , W. , Westbrook , C. , Sjöberg , M. et al. Detailed Chemical Kinetic Modeling of Surrogate Fuels for Gasoline and Application to an HCCI Engine SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-3741 2005 10.4271/2005-01-3741
- Curran , H. , Gaffuri , P. , Pitz , W. , Westbrook , C. et al. Autoignition Chemistry of the Hexane Isomers: An Experimental and Kinetic Modeling Study SAE Technical Paper 952406 1995 10.4271/952406
- Elmqvist , C. , Lindström , F. , Ångström , H. , Grandin , B. et al. Optimizing Engine Concepts by Using a Simple Model for Knock Prediction SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-3123 2003 10.4271/2003-01-3123
- Kleinschmidt W. Zur Simulation des Betriebes von Ottomotoren an der Klopfgrenze VDIFortschrittsbericht, Reihe 12 422 VDI 2000
- Jenkin , R. , James , E. , and Malalasekera , W. Predicting the Onset of End-Gas Autoignition with a Quasi-Dimensional Spark Ignition Engine Model SAE Technical Paper 972877 1997 10.4271/972877
- Livengood , J. C. and Wu , P. C. Correlation of Autoignition Phenomenon in Internal Combustion Engines and Rapid Compression Machines Fifth Symposium (International) on Combustion 347 356 1955
- By , A. , Kempinski , B. , and Rife , J. Knock in Spark Ignition Engines SAE Technical Paper 810147 1981 10.4271/810147
- Belli , M. , Danieli , G. , Amelio , M. , Bova , S. et al. A Detonation Model in Spark-Ignition Engines: Preliminary Results on Engine Octane Requirement SAE Technical Paper 841338 1984 10.4271/841338
- Douaud , A. and Eyzat , P. Four-Octane-Number Method for Predicting the Anti-Knock Behavior of Fuels and Engines SAE Technical Paper 780080 1978 10.4271/780080
- Hahn , T. Ignition Study in Rapid Compression Machine MIT Bachelor Thesis 2006 Schernus , C. , Nebbia C. , Di Matteo F. , Thewes M. Application of the New Kinetic Knock Model to A Downsized TGDI Engine Gamma Technology User Conference 2013 October 21 22 2013 Frankfurt, Germany
- Gamma Technologies GTISE Help 2013
- Fontanesi , S. , D'Adamo , A. , Paltrinieri , S. , Cantore , G. et al. Assessment of the Potential of Proper Orthogonal Decomposition for the Analysis of Combustion CCV and Knock Tendency in a High Performance Engine SAE Technical Paper 2013-24-0031 2013 10.4271/2013-24-0031
- Scassa M. Simulazione numerica della variazione ciclica finalizzata allo studio delle anomalie di combustione in un motore ad accensione comandata Master Thesis Politecnico di Torino 2011
- Poetsch , C. , Schuemie , H. , Ofner , H. , Tatschl , R. et al. A Computational Study on the Impact of Cycle-to-Cycle Combustion Fluctuations on Fuel Consumption and Knock in Steady-State and Drivecycle Operation SAE Technical Paper 2013-24-0030 2013 10.4271/2013-24-0030