This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effect of Stress Triaxiality on the Constitutive Response of Super Vacuum Die Cast AM60B Magnesium Alloy
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The effect of stress triaxiality on failure strain in as-cast magnesium alloy AM60B is examined. Experiments using one uniaxial and two notched tensile geometries were used to study the effect of stress triaxiality on the quasi-static constitutive response of super vacuum die cast AM60B castings. For all tests, local strains, failure location and specimen elongation were tracked using two-dimensional digital image correlation (DIC) analysis. The uniaxial specimens were tested in two orthogonal directions to determine the anisotropy of the casting. Finite element models were developed to estimate effective plastic strain histories and stress state (triaxiality) as a function of notch severity. It was found that there is minimal, if any, anisotropy present in AM60B castings. Higher stress triaxiality levels caused increases in maximum stress and decreases in elongation and local effective plastic strain at failure. This data will serve as the basis for the development of a damage-based constitutive model.
|Technical Paper||Microstructure and Mechanical Properties of Welded Thermoplastics|
|Technical Paper||Adhesive Bonding of Pretreated and Coated Substrates|
|Technical Paper||Ductile Iron Castings - Current Capabilities|
CitationKraehling, D., Anderson, D., Worswick, M., and Skszek, T., "Effect of Stress Triaxiality on the Constitutive Response of Super Vacuum Die Cast AM60B Magnesium Alloy," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1015, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-1015.
- Zeng, R.C., Han, E.H., Ke, W., and Dietzel, W., “Influence of Microstructure on Tensile Properties and Fatigue Crack Growth in Extruded Magnesium Alloy AM60”. International Journal of Fatigue, 32:411-419, 2010.
- University of Dayton Research Institute, “High Rate Tension and Compression Testing of AM30 Double Hat Extrusion and Vacuum Die Cast AM60B Magnesium,” Technical Report UDR-TR-2009-63, Dayton, OH, May 2009.
- Johnson, G.R. and Cook, W.H., “Fracture Characteristics of Three Metals Subjected to Various Strains, Strain Rate, Temperatures and Pressures”. Eng. Fract. Mech., 21:31-48, 1985.
- Hancock, J.W. and Mackenzie, A.C., “On the Mechanisms of Ductile Failure in High-Strength Steels Subjected to Multi-Axial Stress-States”. Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, 24:147-169, 1976.
- Yan, C., Ma, W., Burg, V., and Chen, M.W., “Experimental and Numerical Investigation on Ductile-Brittle Fracture Transition in a Magnesium Alloy”. J. Mater. Sci., 42:7702-7707, 2007.
- Gu, G.Y., Lin, S.T., Meng, Y., Xia, Y. et al., “Influence of Strain Rate and Stress State on the Mechanical Behavior of Die-Casting AM60 Magnesium Alloy,” IMECE2011 Technical Paper 65196, 2011.
- Chen, X., Wu, S.R., Wagner, D.A., and Hu, W., “Study of Die Cast Magnesium Components for Crash Safety”. International Journal of Crashworthiness, 7:429-440, 2002.
- Zhu, F., Chou, C., Yang, K.H., Chen, X. et al., “Calibrating Material Parameters to Model the Thin-Walled Components Made of Die Cast AM60B Magnesium Alloy”. International Journal of Crashworthiness, 17:540-552, 2012.
- Smerd, R., Winkler, S., Salisbury, C., Worswick, M. et al., “High Strain Rate Tensile Testing of Automotive Aluminum Alloy Sheet”. International Journal of Impact Engineering, 32:541-560, 2005.
- ASTM International, “Annual Book of ASTM Standards: Metals - Mechanical Testing, Elevated and Low Temperature Tests, Metallography,” West Conshohocken, PA, 2003.
- Bridgman, P.W., “Studies in Large Plastic Flow and Fracture,” Harvard University Press, Cambridge, MA, 1964.
- Weiler, J.P., Wood, J.T., Klassen, R.J., Maire, E. et al., “Relationship between Internal Porosity and Fracture Strength of Die-Cast Magnesium AM60B Alloy”. Materials Science and Engineering, A(395):315-322, 2005.
- Yong, H. and Li, R., “Effects of Silicon on Mechanical Properties of AM60 Magnesium Alloy,” China Foundry, 9:244-247, 2012.
- Considère, A.G., “Memoire sur l'emploi du fer et de l'acier dans les constructions”. Annales des Ponts et Chausses, 6:574-775, 1885.