This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Sandwich Panels with Corrugated Core - A Lightweighting Concept with Improved Stiffness
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Sandwich panels with high modulus/high strength skin material and low density/low modulus core material have higher stiffness-to-weight ratio than monolithic panels. In this paper, sandwich panels with corrugated core are explored as a lightweighting concept for improved stiffness. The skin and the core materials are a high strength steel, aluminum alloy or carbon fiber-epoxy composite. The core has a triangular corrugation, a trapezoidal corrugation and a rectangular corrugation. The stiffness of the sandwich panels is analytically determined and compared with monolithic panels of equal mass. It is shown that the stiffness of the sandwich panels is 5 to 7 times higher than that of the monolithic panels.
CitationMallick, P. and Boorle, R., "Sandwich Panels with Corrugated Core - A Lightweighting Concept with Improved Stiffness," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-0808, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-0808.
- Vinson, J. R., The Behavior of Sandwich Structures of Isotropic and Composite Materials, Technomic Publishing Co., Lancaster, PA, 1999.
- Zenkert, D., An Introduction to Sandwich Construction, EMAS Publishing, Warley, UK, 1995.
- Libove, C. and Hubka, R.E., “Elastic constants for corrugated core sandwich plates,” Journal of Structural Engineering, Vol. 122, No. 8, pp. 958-966, 1951.
- Lok, T.S. and Cheng, Q. H., “Elastic stiffness properties and behavior of truss-core sandwich panel,” Journal of Structural Engineering, Vol. 126, No. 5, pp. 552-559, 2000.
- Martinez, O.A., Sankar, B.V., Haftka, R.T. and Bapanapalli, S. K., “Micromechanical analysis of composite corrugated-core sandwich panels for integral thermal protection systems,” AIAA JOURNAL, Vol. 45, pp. 2323-2336, 2007.
- Boorle, R.K. and Mallick, P. K., “Global bending response of composite sandwich structures with corrugated core using potential energy approach”, 27th Technical Conference, American Society for Composites, Arlington, TX, October 1-3, 2012.
- Boorle, R.K., “Bending, Vibration and Vibro-Acoustic Analysis of Composite Sandwich Plates with Corrugated Core”, Ph.D. Thesis, Automotive Systems Engineering, University of Michigan-Dearborn, April 2014.