This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Sandwich Panels with Corrugated Core - A Lightweighting Concept with Improved Stiffness
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Sandwich panels with high modulus/high strength skin material and low density/low modulus core material have higher stiffness-to-weight ratio than monolithic panels. In this paper, sandwich panels with corrugated core are explored as a lightweighting concept for improved stiffness. The skin and the core materials are a high strength steel, aluminum alloy or carbon fiber-epoxy composite. The core has a triangular corrugation, a trapezoidal corrugation and a rectangular corrugation. The stiffness of the sandwich panels is analytically determined and compared with monolithic panels of equal mass. It is shown that the stiffness of the sandwich panels is 5 to 7 times higher than that of the monolithic panels.
CitationMallick, P. and Boorle, R., "Sandwich Panels with Corrugated Core - A Lightweighting Concept with Improved Stiffness," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-0808, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-0808.
- Vinson , J. R. The Behavior of Sandwich Structures of Isotropic and Composite Materials Technomic Publishing Co. Lancaster, PA 1999
- Zenkert , D. An Introduction to Sandwich Construction EMAS Publishing Warley, UK 1995
- Libove , C. and Hubka , R.E. Elastic constants for corrugated core sandwich plates Journal of Structural Engineering 122 8 958 966 1951
- Lok , T.S. and Cheng , Q. H. Elastic stiffness properties and behavior of truss-core sandwich panel Journal of Structural Engineering 126 5 552 559 2000
- Martinez , O.A. , Sankar , B.V. , Haftka , R.T. and Bapanapalli , S. K. Micromechanical analysis of composite corrugated-core sandwich panels for integral thermal protection systems AIAA JOURNAL 45 2323 2336 2007
- Boorle , R.K. and Mallick , P. K. Global bending response of composite sandwich structures with corrugated core using potential energy approach 27th Technical Conference American Society for Composites Arlington, TX October 1 3 2012
- Boorle , R.K. Bending, Vibration and Vibro-Acoustic Analysis of Composite Sandwich Plates with Corrugated Core Ph.D. Thesis Automotive Systems Engineering, University of Michigan-Dearborn April 2014