This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Friction Stir Spot Welding of a High Ductility Aluminum Alloy
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
High ductility cast aluminum alloys are seeing more use in vehicles as a greater effort is made to replace components made from heavier steel and iron alloys with lighter weight alloys such as aluminum. High ductility cast aluminum has significant advantages by allowing for complex shape and considerable consolidation of parts in body structures. However, joining can be a challenge because one popular method for aluminum joining, self-piercing riveting (SPR), requires a ductility of greater than 10%, forcing the common high ductility Al alloys to undergo a T6 heat treatment which adds cost and potential distortion issues to Al component. In this study, friction stir spot welding was investigated as a potential joining technique for this material in the as-cast condition. Samples of as-cast Aural-2™ alloy were joined to Aural-2™, 5754, and 6061 alloys, to determine the manufacturing feasibility, weld strength, and fatigue strength using this joining technique.
CitationForsmark, J., "Friction Stir Spot Welding of a High Ductility Aluminum Alloy," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-0793, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-0793.
- Brown , Z. and Burton , P. High Integrity Die Cast Aluminum Body Components SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0460 2007 10.4271/2007-01-0460
- Hirsch , J. Aluminum in Innovative Light-Weight Car Design Materials Transactions 51 5 818 824 2011
- Porcaro , R. , Hanssen , A.G. , Langseth , M. , Aalberg , A. Self-piercing riveting process: An experimental and numerical investigation Journal of Materials Processing Technology 171 1 10 20 2006
- Mishra , R.S. and Mahoney M.W. Friction Stir Welding and Processing 2007 Metals Park, Ohio ASM International
- SAE International Aerospace Material Specification Welding, Resistance: Spot and Seam SAE Standard AMS-W-6858 Jul. 1999
- Operations and Programming Manual for Kawasaki D series Controller Kawasaki Robotics 2007
- Pan , T. , Zhu , W. , Schwartz , W.J. Spot Friction Welding - A New Joining Method for Aluminum Sheets Proceedings of the 2005 International Automotive Body Congress 2 95 99 2005
- Su , P. , Gerlich , A. , North , T.H. , Bendzsak , G.J. Intermixing in Dissimilar friction Stir Spot Welds Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A 38A 584 595 2007
- Tran , V.-X. , Pan , J. , Pan , T. Effects of Processing time on Strengths and Failure modes of dissimilar spot friction welds between aluminum 5754-O and 7075-T6 Sheets Journal of Materials Processing Technology 209 3724 3739 2009
- Pan , T. , Santella , M. , and Blundell , N. Friction Stir Spot Welding for Structural Aluminum Sheets SAE Int. J. Mater. Manuf. 2 1 23 29 2009 10.4271/2009-01-0023