This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Strength of Arc Spot Welded Joints in a High Strength Steel Sheet
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
To achieve improvement of crashworthiness and weight reduction of car bodies, the application of high strength steel sheets to car bodies is expanding [1, 2]. However cross tension strength of spot welded joints decreases as material strength increases in the range of material strength exceeding 780MPa grade. Therefore arc spot welding was attempted to enhance the joint strength in a high strength steel sheet of 980MPa in tensile strength. Consequently, the following experimental results were obtained: 1) cross tension strength (CTS) of the arc spot welded joints doubled compared with CTS of spot welded joints when appropriate welding conditions such as heat input and hole diameter of the sheet were selected and 2) height of excess weld decay in addition to the diameter of weld metal for the arc spot welded joints played an important role in improving CTS.
CitationFurusako, S., Shinji, K., Miyazaki, Y., Nose, T. et al., "Strength of Arc Spot Welded Joints in a High Strength Steel Sheet," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-0786, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-0786.
- Satoh A.: Koukyodokouhan no mondaiten to sonotaioh, Journal of the JSTP, Vol. 46(2005), No. 534, pp. 548-551 (in Japanese).
- Clare G.: Welding advanced high-strength steel is pushing welding technology, Penton's Weld Mag, Vol. 81, No. 3, pp. 14-16, 18.
- Oikawa H., Murayama G., Hiwatashi S. and Matsuyama K.: RESISTANCE SPOT WELDABILITY OF HIGH STRENGTH STEEL FOR AUTOMOBILES AND THE QUALITY ASSURANCE OF JOINTS, Welding in the World, Vol. 51(2007), No. 3/4, pp. 7-18.
- Herai T. and Takahashi Y.: RESISTANCE SPOT WELDING OF HIGH STRENGTH STEEL SHEETS, IIW Doc. III-612-79.
- Kabasawa M., Funakawa Y., Ogawa K. and Tamura M: Estimation of Tensile Shear Strength of Spot Welded Joint of Steel Sheets, Quarterly Journal of the Japan Welding Society, Vol. 14(1996), No. 4, pp. 754-761.
- Nakayama, E., Okamura, K., Miyahara, M., Yoshida, M. et al., “Prediction of Strength of Spot-Welded Joints by Measurements of Local Mechanical Properties,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-2830, 2003, doi:10.4271/2003-01-2830.