This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
EV Customer Usage Measurement Program for Durability Test Mode Development
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Virtually every major automaker has announced intentions of producing an electric vehicle (EV). Hyundai Motor Group has also announced plans to sell an electric vehicle in the next several years. There is strong and increasing support for electric vehicles in the USA due to an interest in protecting the environment, limiting dependence on oil, and reducing the associated cost of petroleum-based transportation. From a durability perspective, battery performance and longevity are significant concerns. In order to better prepare for upcoming electric vehicles, Hyundai-Kia America Technical Center, Inc (HATCI) Vehicle Evaluation group is developing an EV durability test and battery lifecycle laboratory test based on real world EV customer usage. Since there is limited availability of real world customer information for electric vehicles, a program has been started to collect EV customer usage data. This will be correlated with test inputs for both road and lab testing. An outside vendor has been contracted to collect data on customer usage from existing Nissan Leaf and Chevrolet Volt customers. Using specially instrumented vehicles, data is being collected on electric vehicle owners charging and driving habits in 5 different US locations. When complete, this data will be used to correlate field results with an EV battery lab test and EV durability road test.
|Technical Paper||Potential Cost Savings of Combining Power and Energy Batteries in a BEV 300|
|Technical Paper||Evaluation of a Hybrid Energy Storage System for EV's|
|Technical Paper||240 VDC Electric Vehicle System|
CitationBumbaca, V., "EV Customer Usage Measurement Program for Durability Test Mode Development," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-0723, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-0723.
- Chevrolet Volt Specifications Chevrolet.com http://www.chevrolet.com/volt-electric-car.html
- Nissan Leaf Specifications Nissan.com http://www.nissanusa.com/electric-cars/leaf/charging-range/range/
- Center for Automotive Research (CAR) Deployment rollout Estimate of Electric Vehicles 2011-2015 January 2011
- Saxton , Tom Plug In America's LEAF Battery Survey Plug In America December 27 th 2012
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration National Climatic Data Center Climate Atlas http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/about/cdrom/climatls2/info/atlasad.html 2011
- QuestionPro Example question QuestionPro.com Seattle, WA August 25 th 2013
- Freels , William Customer Measurement Program CPG Test Correlation Update HATCI internal report January 14 th 2010
- Michigan Scientific Corporation Michigan Scientific Processor Milford, Michigan November 2012