This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Theoretical Analysis of a Combined Thermoelectric Generator (TEG) and Dual-loop Organic Rankine Cycle (DORC) System Using for Engines' Exhaust Waste Heat Recovery
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents a model system TEG-DORC that employs thermoelectric generator (TEG) as a topping cycle integrated with a dual-loop organic Rankine bottoming cycle (DORC) to recover exhaust heat of internal combustion engine (ICE). The thermodynamic performance of TEG-DORC system is analyzed based on the first and second law of thermodynamics when system net output power Wnet, thermal efficiency ηth, exergy efficiency ηe and volumetric expansion ratio are chosen as objective functions. The model has many parameters that affect combined system performance such as TEG scale, evaporation pressure of high temperature ORC loop (HT loop) Pevp,HT, condensation temperature of HT loop Tcond,HT. It is suggested that HT loop has a vital influence on system performance. The results show that TEG-DORC system can significantly improve system performance, and system net output power gets maximum (30.69kW) when Tcond,HT is 370K and Pevp,HT is 4MPa, accordingly, the absolute effective thermal efficiency increases by 5.2%. The maximum thermal efficiency and exergy efficiency are 26.39% and 53.08% respectively. And applying TEG modules can't promote DORC system performance as expected.
CitationZhang, C., Shu, G., Tian, H., Wei, H. et al., "Theoretical Analysis of a Combined Thermoelectric Generator (TEG) and Dual-loop Organic Rankine Cycle (DORC) System Using for Engines' Exhaust Waste Heat Recovery," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-0670, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-0670.
- Wei D , Lu X , Lu Z , Gu J. Performance analysis and optimization of organic Rankine cycle (ORC) for waste heat recovery Energy Convers Management 2007 48 1113 9
- Tian Hua , Shu Gequn , Wei Haiqiao , Liang Xingyu , Liu Lina Fluids and parameters optimization for the organic Rankine cycles (ORCs) used in exhaust heat recovery of Internal Combustion Engine (ICE) Energy 2012 47 125 36
- Miller Erik W , Hendricks Terry J , Peterson Richard B. Modeling energy recovery using thermoelectric conversion integrated with an organic rankine bottoming cycle J Electron Mater 2009 38 1206 13
- Shu , G. , Zhao , J. , Tian , H. , Wei , H. et al. Theoretical Analysis of Engine Waste Heat Recovery by the Combined Thermo-Generator and Organic Rankine Cycle System SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0636 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0636
- Gequn Shu , Jian Zhao , Hua Tian , Xingyu Liang , Haiqiao Wei Parametric and exergetic ana lysis of waste heat recovery system based on thermoelectric generator and organic rankine cycle utilizing R123 Energy 2012 45 806 16
- Lai NA , Wendland M , Fischer J. Working fluids for high-temperature organic Rankine cycles Energy 2011 36 199 211
- Larjola J. Electricity from industrial heat using high-speed organic Rankine cycle (ORC) Int J Product Econom 1995 41 227 35
- Tzu-chen , Hung Waste heat recovery of organic rankine cycle using dry fluids Energy Conversion and Management 2001 42 539 53
- Calm JM , Hourahan GC. Refrigerant data update Heat/Pip/Air Cond Eng 2007 79 1 50 64
- Mago , P.J. , Chamra , L. M. , and Somayaji , C. Analysis and optimization of organic Rankine cycles Proc. IMechE, Part A: J. Power and Energy 2007 221 3 255 263
- Vaja I , Gambarotta A. Internal combustion engine (ICE) bottoming with organic Rankine cycles (ORCs) Energy 2010 35 1084 93
- Invernizzi C , Iora P , Silva P. Bottoming micro-Rankine cycles for micro-gas turbines Appl Therm Eng 2007 27 100 10