This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Temperature Control of Water with Heating, Cooling and Mixing in a Process with Recycle Loop
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 2014 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
A hot and cold water mixing process with a steam condenser and a chilled water heat exchanger is set up for an engine EGR fouling test. The test rig has water recycled in the loop of a pump, heat exchangers, a three-way mixing valve, and a test EGR unit. The target unit temperature is controlled by a heating, cooling and mixing process with individual valves regulating the flow-rate of saturated steam, chilled water and mixing ratio. The challenges in control design are the dead-time, interaction, nonlinearity and multivariable characteristics of heat exchangers, plus the flow recycle in the system. A systems method is applied to extract a simple linear model for control design. The method avoids the nonlinearity and interaction among different temperatures at inlet, outlet and flow-rate. The test data proves the effectiveness of systems analysis and modeling methodology. As a result, the first-order linear model facilitates the controller design. The simulation studies with internal recycle processes produced promising results. Test rig operating data indicate both the modeling method and Model Predictive Control (MPC) controller are effective.
CitationWu, H., Chen, W., Li, M., and Wang, X., "Temperature Control of Water with Heating, Cooling and Mixing in a Process with Recycle Loop," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-0652, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-0652.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
- Marlin , T.E. Process Control: Designing Processes and Control Systems for Dynamic Performance 2nd 1999 McGraw-Hill, TATA McGraw-Hill Edition
- Shoureshi , R. and Paynter , H.M. Simple Models for Dynamics and Control of Heat exchangers American Control Conference 22 24 June 1983 1294 1298 1983
- Dumdie , D.P. Desire Good Process Control? Try a Systems Approach InTech, Pual and Paper Sept. 65 69 1996
- Bobal , V. , Kubalcik , M. , and Dostal , P. Identification and Self-tuning Predictive Control of Heat Exchanger 2013 International Conference on Process Control (PC) June 18 21 2013 Štrbské Pleso, Slovakia 219 224 2013
- Padhee , S. , Khare , Y.B. , and Singh , Y. Internal Model Based PID Control of Shell and Tube Heat Exchanger System Proceeding of the 2011 IEEE Students' Technology Symposium 14 16 Jan. 2011 West Bengal, India 297 302 2011
- Balan , R. , Maties , V. , Hodor , V. , Hancu , O. et. al. Applications of a model based predictive control to heat-exchangers Mediterranean Conference on Control and Automation July 27 29 Athens, Greece, T27-010 2007
- Luyben , W.L. Dynamics and Control of Recycle Systems. 1. Simple open-loop and closed-loop systems Industrial Engineering Chemical Research 32 466 475 1993
- Luyben , W.L. Dynamics and Control of Recycle Systems. 2. Comparison of Alternative Process Designs Industrial Engineering Chemical Research 32 476 486 1993
- Meszaros , A. and Cirka , L. Control Analysis for Process with Internal Recycle Chemical Engineering Transactions 18 731 736 2009