This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An Influence Matrix Method for Determining Boundary Interference on Automotive Models in Solid-Wall Wind Tunnels
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The solid-wall wind tunnel boundary correction method outlined in this paper is an efficient pressure-signature method that requires few wall-mounted pressures. These pressures are used to determine the strengths of model- and wake-representing singularities that are used with the method of images to calculate the longitudinal and lateral velocity increments induced by the wind tunnel walls. Two force correction models are presented that convert these velocity increments to force and moment corrections. The performances of the correction procedures are demonstrated by their application to data from two sets of four, geometrically identical, differently sized, simplified automotive models.
CitationCooper, K. and Mokry, M., "An Influence Matrix Method for Determining Boundary Interference on Automotive Models in Solid-Wall Wind Tunnels," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-0611, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-0611.
- Hackett J. E. , Wilsden D. J. , and Lilley D. E. Estimation of Tunnel Blockage from Wall Pressure Signatures: A Review and Data Correlation NASA CR-152,241 March 1979
- Cooper , K. Wind Tunnel Wall Corrections for Automotive Shapes in Closed-Jet Wind Tunnels SP-1176 Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. Warrendale, PA 1-56091-815-2 1996
- Ashill P.R. and Weeks D.J. A Method for Determining Wall-Interference Corrections in Solid-Wall Tunnels from Measurements of Static Pressure at the Walls AGARDCP335 1.1 1.12 London 1986
- Cooper K.R. and Mokry M. Further Development of the IAR Two-Variable Boundary-Interference Correction Method For Low-Speed Wind Tunnel Data AIAA 2002- 0884, 40 th Aerospace Sciences Meeting & Exhibit Jan. 2002 Reno NV
- Cooper , K. , Mokry , M. , and Gleason , M. The Two-Variable Boundary-Interference Correction Applied to Automotive Aerodynamic Data SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-1204 2008 10.4271/2008-01-1204
- Schaub U.W. Combined DSMA - NRC Tunnel Correction Method, Short Hand Version of PILP Report #4 April NRC Ottawa, Canada 1995
- Hensel R.W. Rectangular Wind Tunnel Corrections Using the Velocity-Ratio Method NACA TN 2372 June 1951
- Hackett J. E. , Cooper K. R. , Perry M. L. Drag, Lift and Pitching Moment Increments Due to Wind Tunnel Wall Constraint: Extension to Three Dimensions International Congress; 22nd, International Council of the Aeronautical Sciences Aug. Sept. 2000 Harrogate, UK 0953399125
- Hackett J.E. and Cooper K.R. Extensions to Maskell's Theory for Blockage Effects on Bluff Bodies in a Closed Wind Tunnel Aeronautical Journal of the Royal Aero. Soc. Aug. 2001 409 418
- Marshall J.S. Inviscid Incompressible Flow John Wiley & Sons, Inc. 2001 0-471-37566-7 246 249