This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
CFD Simulation of External Distribution of Tail-Pipe Emissions Around a Stationary Vehicle Under Light Tail-Wind Conditions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A potentially important, but inadequately studied, source of passengers' exposure to pollutants when a road vehicle is stationary, with an idling engine, results from the ingestion of a vehicle's own exhaust into the passenger compartment through the HVAC intake. We developed and applied a method to determine the fraction of a vehicle's exhaust entering the cabin by this route. Further the influence of three parameters: ambient tail-wind speed, vehicle ground clearance and tail pipe angle, is assessed. The study applies Computational Fluid Dynamic (CFD) simulation to the distribution of exhaust gasses around a vehicle motorized with a 2.2 liter Diesel engine. The simulation employs efficient meshing techniques and realistic loading conditions to develop a general knowledge of the distribution of the gasses in order to inform engineering design. The results show that increasing tail-wind velocity, tail-pipe angle and ground clearance reduces the presence of CO and NO at the HVAC intake. The trends for NO2 are not predicted to follow the same pattern.
CitationAbo-Serie, E., Sherif, M., Pompei, D., and Gaylard, A., "CFD Simulation of External Distribution of Tail-Pipe Emissions Around a Stationary Vehicle Under Light Tail-Wind Conditions," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-0586, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-0586.
- Shikiya , D.C. , Liu , C.S. , Hahn , M.I. , Juarros , J. , Barcikowski , W. 1989 In-vehicle air toxics characterization study in the South Coast Air Basin Final Report South Coast Air Quality Management District El Monte, CA
- Ptak , T.J. , Fallon , S.L. 1994 Particulate concentration in automobile passenger compartments Particulate Science and Technology 12 313 322
- Lawryk , N.J. , Weisel , C.P. 1995 Exposure to volatile organic compounds in the passenger compartment of automobiles during periods of normal and malfunctioning operation Journal of Exposure Analysis and Environmental Epidemiology 5 511 531
- Rodes , C. , Sheldon , L. , Whitaker , D. , Clayton , A. , Fitzgerald , K. , Flanagan , J. , DiGenova , F. , Hering , S. , Frazier , C. 1998 Measuring concentrations of selected air pollutants inside California vehicles Final Report, Contract No. 95-339 California Air Resources Board, Research Division Sacramento, CA
- Fruin , S. , St. Denis , M.J. , Winer , A.M. , Colome , S.D. , Lurmann , F.W. 2001 Reductions in human benzene exposure in the California South Coast Air Basin Atmospheric Environment 35 1069 1077
- Chan , L.Y. , Wu , H.W. 1993 A study of bus commuter and pedestrian exposure to traffic air pollution in Hong Kong Environment International 19 121 132
- Fernandez-Bremauntz , A.A. , Ashmore , M.R. 1995 Exposure of commuters to carbon monoxide in Mexico City: 1. Measurement of in-vehicle concentrations Atmospheric Environment 29 525 532
- Adams , H.S. , Nieuwenhuijsen , M.J. , Colvile , R.N. 2001 Determinants of fine particle (PM2.5) personal exposure levels in transport microenvironments, London, UK Atmospheric Environment 35 4557 4566
- Wu , C.C. et al. 1998 Application of an Ir tracer to determine soot exposure to students commuting to school on Baltimore public buses Atmospheric Environment 32 1911 1919
- Solomon , G.M. , Campbell , T.R. , Feuer , G.R. , Masters , J. , Paul Samkian , A.K.A. 2001 No breathing in the aisles: diesel exhaust inside school buses Natural Resources Defense Council and Coalition for Clean Air New York
- Wargo , J. , Brown , D. , Cullen , M. , Addiss , S. , Alderman , N. 2002 Children's exposure to diesel exhaust on school buses Environmental and Human Health, Inc. North Haven, CT
- Conceicao , E.Z.E. , Silva , M.C.G. , Viegas , D.X. 1997 Air quality inside the passenger compartment of a bus Journal of Exposure Analysis and Environmental Epidemiology 7 521 534
- Fletcher , B. , Saunders , C.J. 1994 Air change in stationary and moving motor vehicles Journal Hazardous Materials 38 243 256
- Clifford , M.J. , Clarke , R. , Riffat , S.B. 1997 Local aspects of vehicular pollution Atmospheric Environment 31 271 276