This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Accuracy and Timing of 2013 Ford Flex Event Data Recorders
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
2013 and 2014 Ford Flex vehicles and airbag control modules with event data recorders (EDRs) were tested to determine the accuracy of speed and other data in the steady state condition, to evaluate time reporting delays under dynamic braking conditions, and to evaluate the accuracy of the stability control system data that the module records. This recorder is from the Autoliv RC6 family and this is the first known external research conducted on post 49CFR Part 563 Ford EDRs.
The vehicle was instrumented with a VBox and a CAN data logger to compare external GPS based speeds to CAN data using the same synchronized time base. The vehicle was driven in steady state, hard braking, figure 8 and yaw conditions. The Airbag Control Module (ACM) was mounted onto a moving linear sled. The CAN bus data from driving was replayed as the sled created recordable events and the EDR data was compared to the reference instrumentation.
The accuracy and timing of the data on a second stability control CAN bus was verified, and the transfer function between the CAN bus data and the EDR data was mapped, such that EDR data from any set of CAN data can be predicted. The speed data was well within the accuracy limits of +/−4% published in earlier EDR papers. The steering and yaw data from the EDR are reported opposite the SAE sign convention. Overall, the data demonstrates the accuracy of the RC6 EDR functionality.
CitationRuth, R. and Daily, J., "Accuracy and Timing of 2013 Ford Flex Event Data Recorders," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-0504, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-0504.
- Diacon, A., Daily, J., Ruth, R., and Mueller, C., “Accuracy and Characteristics of 2012 Honda Event Data Recorders from Real-Time Replay of Controller Area Network (CAN) Traffic,” SAE Int. J. Trans. Safety 1(2):399-419, 2013, doi:10.4271/2013-01-1264.
- Chidester, A., Hinch, J., Mercer, T., and Schultz, K., “Recording Automotive Crash Event Data,” Proceedings of the International Symposium on Transportation Recorders, Arlington, Virginia, 1999.
- Gabler, H.C., Thor, C., and Hinch, J., “Preliminary Evaluation of Advanced Air Bag Field Performance Using Event Data Recorders,” DOT HS 811 015, August 2008.
- Lawrence, J., Wilkinson, C., Heinrichs, B., and Siegmund, G., “The Accuracy of Pre-Crash Speed Captured by Event Data Recorders,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0889, 2003, doi:10.4271/2003-01-0889.
- Bare, C., Everest, B., Floyd, D., and Nunan, D., “Analysis of Pre-Crash Data Transferred over the Serial Data Bus and Utilized by the SDM-DS Module,” SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 4(1):648-664, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-01-0809.
- Ruth, R. and Brown, T., “2009 Crown Victoria PCM EDR Accuracy in Steady State and ABS Braking Conditions,” SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-1000, 2010, doi:10.4271/2010-01-1000.
- Ruth, R., West, O., Engle, J., and Reust, T., “Accuracy of Powertrain Control Module (PCM) Event Data Recorders,” SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-0162, 2008, doi:10.4271/2008-01-0162.
- Ruth, R. and Reust, T., “Accuracy of Selected 2008 Chrysler Airbag Control Module Event Data Recorders,” SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 2(1):983-990, 2009, doi:10.4271/2009-01-0877.
- Bortolin, R., Gilbert, B., Gervais, J., and Hrycay, J., “Chrysler Airbag Control Module (ACM) Data Reliability,” SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 3(1):653-674, 2010, doi:10.4271/2010-01-1002.
- Comeau, J-L., Dalmotas, D.J., and German, A., “Event Data Recorders in Toyota Vehicles”, Proceedings of the 21st Canadian Multidisciplinary Road Safety Conference, Halifax, Nova Scotia, May 8-11, 2011.
- NHTSA, “Event Data Recorder - Pre Crash Data Validation of Toyota Products”, NHTSA-NVS-2011-ETC-SR07, February 2011, www.nhtsa.gov/staticfiles/nvs/pdf/NHTSA-Toyota_EDR_pre-crash_validation.pdf, accessed 12/18/2011.
- Ruth, R., Bartlett, W., and Daily, J., “Accuracy of Event Data in the 2010 and 2011 Toyota Camry During Steady State and Braking Conditions,” SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Electron. Electr. Syst. 5(1):358-372, 2012, doi:10.4271/2012-01-0999.
- Brown, R. and White, S., “Evaluation of Camry HS-CAN Pre-Crash Data,” SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0996, 2012, doi:10.4271/2012-01-0996.
- Brown, R., Lewis, L., Hare, B., Jakstis, M. et al., “Confirmation of Toyota EDR Pre-crash Data,” SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0998, 2012, doi:10.4271/2012-01-0998.
- NHTSA VSR, “NHTSA vehicle Crash Test Database,” http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/database/veh/veh.htm
- Vandiver, W., Ikram, I., and Randles, B., “Accuracy of Pre-Crash Speed Recorded in 2009 Mitsubishi Lancer Event Data Recorders,” SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1263, 2013, doi:10.4271/2013-01-1263.
- Niehoff, P., Gabler, H.C., Brophy, J., Chidester, C., Hinch, J., and Ragland, C., “Evaluation of Event Data Recorders in Full Systems Crash Tests,” Proceedings of the Nineteenth International Conference on Enhanced Safety of Vehicles, Paper 05-0271, Washington, DC (June 2005).
- Takubo, N., Hiromitsu, T., Kato, K., Hagita, K. et al., “Study on Characteristics of Event Data Recorders in Japan; Analysis of J-NCAP and Thirteen Crash Tests,” SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 4(1):665-676, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-01-0810.
- Tsoi, A., Hinch, J., Ruth, R., and Gabler, H., “Validation of Event Data Recorders in High Severity Full-Frontal Crash Tests,” SAE Int. J. Trans. Safety 1(1):76-99, 2013, doi:10.4271/2013-01-1265.