This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Dashboard Reachability and Usability Tests: A Cheap and Effective Method for Drivers' Comfort Rating
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
General comfort may be defined as the “level of well-being” perceived by humans in a working environment. The state-of-the-art about evaluation of comfort/discomfort shows the need for an objective method to evaluate the “effect in the internal body” and “perceived effects” in main systems of comfort perception.
In the early phases of automotive design, the seating and dashboard command can be virtually prototyped, and, using Digital Human Modeling (DHM) software, several kinds of interactions can me modeled to evaluate the ergonomics and comfort of designed solutions. Several studies demonstrated that DHM approaches are favorable in virtual reachability and usability tests as well as in macro-ergonomics evaluations, but they appear insufficient in terms of evaluating comfort. Comfort level is extremely difficult to detect and measure; in fact, it is affected by individual perceptions and always depends on the biomechanical, physiological, and psychological state of the tester during task execution. These parameters cannot be modeled using software and instead have to be tested on physical models.
A seating buck is often used to prototype a driver's seat, and virtual, mixed, and augmented reality devices help designers to improve ergonomics and comfort of a human-machine interface (HMI). In such environments, both postural and cognitive comfort can be evaluated, but often, testers' opinions are affected by devices, their interaction with designers, and especially, posture analysis systems. One solution to this kind of perception alteration can be found in non-invasive acquisition methods, such as acoustic, magnetic, or optical methods. Each has its own advantages and disadvantages, but all share the same characteristics: they are expensive and difficult to calibrate and use.
This paper presents a new method for objectifying and evaluating postural and cognitive comfort levels based on human posture analysis and a questionnaire to evaluate cognitive performance. The posture acquisition method employs commercial low-cost cameras on tripods. The comfort evaluation methods, previously developed at the University of Salerno, are based on several experimental test campaigns, statistical processing, and biomedical studies. The method was tested in terms of reachability and usability for automotive drivers and was performed in a B-segment car (FIAT Grande Punto).
A sensitivity analysis was performed to correlate the low resolution of the photographic acquisition with the consequent errors in the comfort evaluation. Posture acquisition errors were analyzed using DHM (DELMIA) software.
CitationNaddeo, A., Cappetti, N., and Ippolito, O., "Dashboard Reachability and Usability Tests: A Cheap and Effective Method for Drivers' Comfort Rating," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-0455, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-0455.
- Annarumma M. , Pappalardo M. , Naddeo A. 2008 Methodology development of human task simulation as PLM solution related to OCRA ergonomics analysis IFIP Int. Fed. Inf. Process 277 19 29 10.1007/978-0-387-09697-1 2
- Apostolico A. , Cappetti N. , D'Oria C. , Naddeo A. , Sestri M. 2013 Postural Comfort Evaluation: Experimental Identification of Range of Rest Posture for human articular joints Int J Interact Des Manuf April 2013 1 14 10.1007/s12008-013-0186-z
- Borg , G. Psychophysical Bases of Perceived Exertion Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise 14 1982 377 381
- Cappetti N. , D'Oria C. , Naddeo A. Proposal of a new quantitative method for postural comfort evaluation International Journal of Applied Ergonomics
- Christensen H. W. , Nilsson N. 1999 The ability to reproduce the Neutral Zero Position of the Head Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics 22 1 26 28 10.1016/S0161-4754(99)70102-8
- De Korte , E.M. , Huysmans , M.A. , De Jong , A.M. , Van de Ven , J.G.M. , Ruijsendaal M. 2012 Effects of four types of non-obtrusive feedback on computer behavior, task performance and comfort Applied ergonomics 43 344 353 10.1016/j.apergo.2011.06.010
- De Looze , M.P. , Kuijt-Evers , L.F.M. , Van Dien , J.H. 2003 Sitting comfort and discomfort and the relationships with objective measures Ergonomics 46 985 997 10.1080/0014013031000121977
- D'Oria C. , Naddeo A. , Cappetti N. , Pappalardo M. 2010 Postural analysis in HMI design: an extension of OCRA standard to evaluate discomfort level Journal of Achievements in Materials and Manufacturing Engineering 39 60 70 1734-8412
- Ellegast , R.P. , Keller , K. , Groenesteijn , L. , Krause , F. , Berger , H. , Vink , P. 2012 Comparison of four specific dynamic office chairs with a conventional office chair: impact upon muscle activation, physical activity and posture Applied ergonomics 43 296 307 10.1016/j.apergo.2011.06.005
- Ercolani A.P. , Areni A. , Leone L. 2008 Statistica per la psicologia - Statistica inferenziale e analisi dei dati Bologna (IT) Casa editrice il mulino 978-88-15-12169-1
- Fagarasanu M. , Kumar S. , Narayan Y. 2004 Measurement of angular wrist neutral zone and forearm muscle activity Clinical Biomechanics 19 671 677 10.1016/j.clinbiomech.2004.05.004
- Franz , M.M. , Durta , A. , Zenk , R. , Desmet , P.M.A. 2012 Comfort effects of a new car headrest with neck support Applied ergonomics 43 336 343 10.1016/j.apergo.2011.06.009
- Galinsky , T.L. , Swanson , N.G. , Sauter , S.L. , Hurrell , J.J. , Schleifer , L.M. 2000 A field study of supplementary rest breaks for data entry operators Ergonomics 43 622 638 10.1080/001401300184297
- Groenesteijn , L. , Ellegast , R.P. , Keller , K. , Krause , F. , Berger , H. , De Looze , M.P. 2012 Office task effects on comfort and body dynamics in five dynamic office chairs Applied ergonomics 43 320 328 10.1016/j.apergo.2011.06.007
- Helander , M.G. , Zhang , L. 1997 Field studies of comfort and discomfort in sitting Ergonomics 40 895 915 10.1080/001401397187739
- Hignett S. , McAtamney L. 2000 Rapid Entire Body Assessment (REBA) Applied Ergonomics 31 2 201 205 10.1016/S0003-6870(99)00039-3
- Holzreiter S. H. , Köhle M. E. 1993 Assessment of gait patterns using neural networks J. Biomech. 26 6 645 651 10.1016/0021-9290(93)90028-D
- Iezzi D.F. 2009 Statistica per le scienze sociali - Dalla progettazione delle indagini all'analisi dei dati Rome (IT) Carocci editore
- International standard ISO 11226 2000 Ergonomics - Evaluation of static working postures
- Kamp I. 2012 The influence of car seat design on its character experience Applied Ergonomics 43 329 335 10.1016/j.apergo.2011.06.008
- Kee D. , Karwowski W. 2001 LUBA: an assessment technique for postural loading on the upper body based on joint motion discomfort and maximum holding time Applied Ergonomics 32 10.1016/S0003-6870(01)00006-0
- Kee , D. , Lee , I. 2012 Relationships between subjective and objective measures in assessing postural stresses Applied Ergonomics 43 277 282 10.1016/j.apergo.2011.06.002
- Kong , Y.U. , Kim , D.M. , Lee , K.S. , Jung , M.C. 2012 Comparison of comfort, discomfort, and continuum ratings of force levels and hand regions during gripping exertions Applied Ergonomics 43 283 289 10.1016/j.apergo.2011.06.003
- Kuijt-Evers , L.F.M. , Groenesteijn , L. , De Looze , M.P. , Vink , P. 2004 Identifying factors of comfort in using hand tools Applied Ergonomics 35 453 458 10.1016/j.apergo.2004.04.001
- McAtamney L. , Corlett E.N. 1993 RULA: a survey method for the investigation of work-related upper limb disorders Applied Ergonomics 24 2 10.1016/0003-6870(93)90080-S
- Moes , N.C.C.M. 2005 Analysis of sitting discomfort, a review Bust , P.D. , McCabe , P.T. Contemporary Ergonomics 2005 London Taylor & Francis 200 204
- Alessandro , N. and Sandro , M. Postural Comfort Inside a Car: Development of an Innovative Model to Evaluate the Discomfort Level SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 2 1 1065 1070 2009 10.4271/2009-01-1163
- Naddeo , A. , Barba , S. , Ferrero Francia , I.F. Propuesta de un nuevo método no invasivo para el análisis postural con aplicaciones de fotogrametría 4d, CIBIM 2013 XI Congreso Ibero-Americano de Ingegnieria Mecanica 11 14 Nov. 2013 La Plata, Argentina
- Noro , K. , Naruse , T. , Lueder , R. , Nao , N. , Kozawa , M. 2012 Application of Zen sitting principles to microscopic surgery seating Applied Ergonomics 43 308 319 10.1016/j.apergo.2011.06.006
- Tilley A. R. 2001 The Measure of Man and Woman: Human Factors in Design South Pasadena (US) Henry Dreyfuss Associates 978-0471099550
- Vink P. , Hallbeck S. 2012 Editorial: Comfort and discomfort studies demonstrate the need for a new model Applied Ergonomics 43 271 276 10.1016/j.apergo.2011.06.001
- Vink , P. , Bazley , C. , Kamp , I. , Blok , M. 2012 Possibilities to improve the aircraft interior comfort experience Applied Ergonomics 43 354 359 10.1016/j.apergo.2011.06.011
- Zani S. 1997 Analisi dei dati statistici, osservazioni in una e due dimensioni Milan (IT) Giuffrè editore
- Zenk , R. , Franz , M. , Bubb , H. , Vink , P. 2012 Spine loading in automotive seating Applied Ergonomics 43 290 295 10.1016/j.apergo.2011.06.004