This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Impacts of Dynamic Rear Lighting on Driver Response
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Rear automotive lighting systems employing dynamic features such as sweeping or flashing are not commonly used on vehicles in North America, in part because they are not clearly addressed in vehicle lighting regulations. Nor is there abundant evidence suggesting they have a substantial role to play in driver safety. The results of a human factors investigation of the potential impacts of dynamic rear lighting systems on driver responses are summarized and discussed in the context of safety, visual effectiveness and the present regulatory context.
CitationSkinner, N. and Bullough, J., "Impacts of Dynamic Rear Lighting on Driver Response," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-0434, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-0434.
- Bullough , J. , Van Derlofske , J. , and Kleinkes , M. Rear Signal Lighting: From Research to Standards, Now and in the Future SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1229 2007 10.4271/2007-01-1229
- Mortimer , R. G. Field Test Evaluation of Rear Lighting Deceleration Signals: I. Analytical and Experimental Studies, DOT-HS-805-061 National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Washington, DC 1979
- Lee , S. E. , Wierwille , W. W. , and DeHart , M. C. Evolution of an Enhanced Rear Signaling System Transportation Research Record 31 40 2003 10.3141/1843-05
- Bullough , J. , Van Derlofske , J. , and Yan , H. Evaluation of Automotive Stop Lamps Using Incandescent and Sweeping Neon and LED Light Sources SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-0301 2001 10.4271/2001-01-0301
- Bullough , J. D. , Snyder , J. D. , Skinner N. P. , and Rea , M. S. Development and Evaluation of a Prototype Barricade Lighting System International Journal for Traffic and Transport Engineering 2 2 118 132 2012
- Hamm , M. Safety Improvement by New Matrix and Turn Indicator Functionality the 10 th International Symposium on Automotive Lighting Darmstadt, Germany September 23 25 2013
- Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. SAE Ground Vehicle Lighting Standards Manual, HS-34 Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. Warrendale, PA 0-7680-1001-2 2002
- American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials A Policy on Geometric Design of Highways and Streets American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials Washington, DC 1-56051-263-6 2004