This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Modeling and Identification of a Gasoline Common Rail Injection System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The precision of direct fuel injection systems of combustion engines is crucial for the further reduction of emissions and fuel consumption. It is influenced by the dynamic behavior of the fuel system, in particular the injection valves and the common rail pressure. As model based control strategies for the fuel system could substantially improve the dynamic behavior, an accurate model of the common rail injection system for gasoline engines - consisting of the main components high-pressure pump, common rail and injection valves - that could be used for control design is highly desirable. Approaches for developing such a model are presented in this paper. For each key component, two models are derived, which differ in temporal resolution and number of degrees of freedom.
Experimental data is used to validate and compare the models. The data was generated on a test bench specifically designed and built for this purpose. The test bench consists of the relevant components of a current production four-cylinder gasoline engine which were slightly modified in order to mount sensors. The detailed setup of the test bench is also described in this paper. Validation measurements show that the proposed model provides a good approximation of the real fuel injection system.
CitationBaur, R., Blath, J., Bohn, C., Kallage, F. et al., "Modeling and Identification of a Gasoline Common Rail Injection System," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-0196, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-0196.
- Zhen, Z. and Zongxuan S., “Rotational angle based pressure control of a common rail fuel injection system for internal combustion engines,” Proceedings of the IEEE American Control Conference, 2690-2695, St. Louis, 2009, DOI:10.1109/ACC.2009.5160566.
- Li, J., Treusch, C., Honel, B., and Neyrat, S., “Simulation of Pressure Pulsations in a Gasoline Injection System and Development of an Effective Damping Technology,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-1149, 2005, doi:10.4271/2005-01-1149.
- Gauthier, C., Sename O., Dugard L. and Meissonnier G., “Modelling of a diesel engine common rail injection system,” Proceedings of the 16th IFAC World Congress, 188-193, Prague, 2005.
- Hespanha, J. P. and Tiwari A., “Hybrid systems: computation and control- hybrid modeling and control of the common rail injection system,” Proceedings of the 9th International Workshop HSCC, 79-92, Santa Barbara, 2006, DOI:10.1007/11730637.
- Kral, C., Batteh J. J. and Kenny P. J., “Modeling the dynamics of vehicle fuel systems,” Proceedings of the 5th International Modelica Conference, 147-155, Vienna, 2006.
- Ahlin, K., “Modelling of pressure waves in the Common Rail Diesel Injection System,” Master Thesis, University of Linköping, 2000, LiTH-ISY-EX-3081.
- Corno, M., Savaresi S. M. and Scattolini R., “Modeling, parameter identification and dynamics analysis of a common rail injection system for gasoline engines,” Proceedings of the 17th IFAC World Congress, 8481-8486, Seoul, 2008, DOI:10.3182/20080706-5-KR-1001.01434.
- Greyvenstein, G. P., “An implicit method for the analysis of transient flows in pipe networks,” International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, volume 53, issue 5, 1127-1143, 2002, DOI:10.1002/nme.323.
- Pires, L. F. G., Ladeia R. C. C. and Barreto C. V., “Transient flow analysis of fast valve close in short pipelines,” Proceedings of International Pipeline Conference 2004, IPC04-0367,1-7, Calgary, 2004, DOI:10.1115/IPC 2004-0347.
- Lee, J. W., Min K. D., Kang K. Y., Bae C. S., et al., “Effect of piezo-driven and solenoid-driven needle opening of common-rail diesel injectors on internal nozzle flow and spray development,” 7th International Journal of Engine Research, 489-502, 2006, DOI:10.1243/14680874 JER00806.
- Morselli, R., Corti E., and Rizzoni G., “Energy based model of a common rail injector,” Proceedings of the 2002 IEEE International Conference on Control Applications, 1195-1200, Glasgow, 2002, DOI:10.1109/CCA.2002.1038 775.
- Li, J., Raney, M., and Zheng, X., “Flow Simulation of a Direct-Injection Gasoline Diaphragm Fuel Pump with Structural Interactions,” SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-1047, 2000, doi:10.4271/2000-01-1047.
- Robert Bosch GmbH, “Bosch - Hochdruck-Einspritzventil”, (in German, Bosch - High pressure injection valve), educational manuscript, 2009, http://aa.bosch.de/aa/de/Berufsschulinfo/media/2003_4.pdf (accessed 17 January 2014).
- Jelali, M. and Kroll A., Hydraulic servo-systems - modelling, identification and control, Springer, London, 2004.