This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Muffler Sound Development Using Analysis of Acoustic Source of Engine Exhaust System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In order to achieve the proper automobile interior sound, the tailpipe noise of the exhaust system must be considered as a main contributor. This paper describes a study of the achievement of dynamic sound quality through exhaust system design. Firstly, we determined the vehicle's interior sound quality and established a target sound using a subjective assessment of 10 benchmark vehicles. The exhaust noise target is determined by means of transfer path analysis focusing on the noise source and how it's impacted by the muffler design. The exhaust system is commonly modeled as a combination of source strength and impedance. We obtained the source character by the wave decomposition method using two microphones and six loads ultimately leading to an optimized design of the inner muffler structure. Based on this study, we achieved dynamic interior sound and improved exhaust system performance.
CitationHan, H., Park, C., Heo, J., and Kang, S., "Muffler Sound Development Using Analysis of Acoustic Source of Engine Exhaust System," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-0026, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-0026.
- Liu J. and Herrin D. W. University of Kentucky Load Effect on Source Impedance Measurement Accuracy 2009
- ASTM ASTM Standard E1050-98, Standard Test Method for Impedance and Absorption of Acoustical Material Using a Tube, Two Microphones and a Digital Frequency Analysis System Philadelphia American Society for Testing and Materials 1998
- Desmons L. and Hardy J. A Least Squares Method for Evaluation of Characteristics of Acoustical Sources Journal of Sound and Vibration 175 3 365 376 1994
- Knutsson , M. and Bodén , H. IC-Engine Intake Acoustic Source Data from Non-Linear Simulations SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-2209 2007 10.4271/2007-01-2209
- Fairbrother , R. , Bodén , H. , and Glav , R. Linear Acoustic Exhaust System Simulation Using Source Data from Non Linear Simulation SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-2358 2005 10.4271/2005-01-2358
- Technical Note University of Valencia Numerical source identification for linear analysis of 1-D flow system 2009