This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Reconfiguration of Control Systems as Means for Reaching Fault Tolerance: An Assessing Study on Methods Available
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 07, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The realization of modern systems subjected to automatic control, such as aircraft, automobiles, satellites, rocket launchers, cargo and military ships, and so forth; increasingly assume, within its very set of requirements, the task of providing better dependability, i.e.: safety, reliability, and availability altogether.
Towards this demand, fault-tolerant control greatly meets such growing demand of dependability, by its ability of recognizing the occurrence of potentially hazardous/hazardous faults within the overall (closed-loop) system, and by taking remedial action whenever necessary/mandatory. The process of fault tolerance can be segregated into two fundamental steps: (1) that of fault diagnosis, comprising fault detection-isolation-identification, and, (2) control adjustment/reconfiguration.
This paper focuses on the second step, of control adjustment/reconfiguration. Firstly, the problem of fault tolerant control is put, and the importance of proper fault detection-isolation-identification is briefly explained. Secondly, a survey of methods available is performed, in order to set ground of potential uses in aerospace and/or automotive applications, and, to clarify the limitations the studied approaches might present. Thirdly, a set of conclusions is presented, so future work, either practical implementation or future research, can be properly addressed
CitationSiqueira, J. and de Oliveira e Souza, M., "Reconfiguration of Control Systems as Means for Reaching Fault Tolerance: An Assessing Study on Methods Available," SAE Technical Paper 2013-36-0639, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-36-0639.
- Ashari , A. E. , A. Sedigh , A. K. , Yazdanpanah , M. J. Reconfigurable control system design using eigenstructure assignment: static, dynamic and robust approaches International Journal of Control 78 13 1005 1016 2005
- Avizienis , A. , Laprie , J.-C. , Landwehr , C. Basic concepts and taxonomy of dependable and secure computing IEEE Transactions on Dependable and Secure Computing 01 01 11 33 Jan Mar. 2004
- Blanke , M. , Kinnaert , M. , Lunze , J. , Staroswiecki , M. Diagnosis and Fault-Tolerant Control Springer-Verlag 978-3-540-35652-5 2006
- Duccard , G. J. J. Fault Tolerant Flight Control and Guidance Systems Springer-Verlag 978-1-84882-560-4 2009
- Frei , C.W. , Kraus , F. J. , Blanke , M. Recoverability viewed as a system property Proceedings of the ECC Karlsruhe 1999
- Gao , Z. and Antsaklis , P. J. Stability of the pseudo-inverse method for reconfigurable control systems International Journal of Control 53 3 717 729 1991
- Isermann , R. , Schwarz , R. , Stölzl , S. Fault-tolerant drive-by-wire systems IEEE Control Systems Magazine 2002
- Jiang , J. Design of reconfigurable control systems using eigenstructure assignments International Journal of Control 59 2 395 410
- Konstantinopoulos , I. K. , Antsaklis , P. J. Eigenstructure Assignment in Reconfigurable Control Systems Technical Reporto f the ISIS Group at the University of Notre Dame 1996
- Looze , D. P. , Weiss , J. L. , Eterno , J. S. , Barrett , N. M. An Automatic Redesign Approach for Restructurable Control Systems Control Systems Magazine 5 2 16 22 1985
- Lunze , J. , Rowe-Serrano , D. , Steffen , T. Control reconfiguration demonstrated at a two degrees of freedom helicopter model Proceedings of European Control Conference Cambridge, UK 2003
- Lunze , J. , Richter , J. Control Reconfiguration: Survey of Methods and Open Problems Forschungsbericht 2006-08 Lehrstuhl für Automatisierungstechnik und Prozessinformatik and der Universität Bochum 2006
- Maciejowski , J. M. , Jones , C. N. MPC Fault-Tolerant Flight Control Case Study: Flight 1862 IFAC Safe Process Conference Washington DC 9 11 June 2003
- NASB (Nation Aviation Safety Board) Aircraft Accident Report 92-11 on El Al Flight 1862 Bijlmermeer (Amsterdam) Oct. 1992
- NTSB (Nation Transportation Safety Board) Aircraft Accident Report 79-17 on American Airlines Flight 191 Washington (DC) May 1979
- Patton , R. , Frank , P. , Clark , R. Fault Diagnosis in Dynamic Systems: Theory and Applications Prentice-Hall International Series in Systems & Control Engineering 0-13-308263-6 1989
- Staroswiecki , M. On reconfigurability with respect to actuator failures Proceedings of the 15th IFAC World Congress Barcelona, Spain 2002
- Steffen , T. Control Reconfiguration of Dynamical Systems: Linear Approaches and Structural Tests Lecture Notes in Control and Information Sciences Springer-Verlag Heidelberg 2005
- Wu , N. E. , Zhou , K. , Salomon , G. On reconfigurability Proceeding of SAFEPROCESS2000, 4th Symposium on Fault Detection IFAC Budapest 2000
- Yamé , J.J. , Kinnaert , M. On Bumps and Reduction of Switching Transients in Multicontroller Systems Hindawi Publishing Corporation Mathematical Problems in Engineering 2007
- Zhang , Y. , Jiang , J. Bibliographical review on reconfigurable fault-tolerant control systems Elsevier Annual Reviews in Control 32 229 252 2008