This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Advanced Thermal Management Strategies
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 07, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The paper presents the results of applying an advanced thermal management approach to a light duty commercial vehicle. The relative benefit of various thermal components, layouts and control strategies is discussed. Thermal performance along with associated fuel economy improvements are shown over various test cycles including the FTP, NEDC and US06. Results are given for a GT-Suite simulation as well as on vehicle.
CitationShutty, J. and Pinto, R., "Advanced Thermal Management Strategies," SAE Technical Paper 2013-36-0542, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-36-0542.
- Negandhi, V., Shutty, J., “Active Thermal Management Strategy for a V6 Diesel Engine using a Dual Mode Coolant Pump, Electric Thermostat and a Viscous Clutch Fan Drive,” SAE Thermal Management Systems Symposium, November 2012
- Keller, P., Wenzel, W., Becker, M., Roby, J., “Development and Optimization of a Hybrid Coolant Pump layout with 1D-Thermal Simulation,” MTZ, November 2010
- Keller, P., Wenzel, W., Becker, M., and Roby, J., “Coupled Thermal-Engine Simulation for a Lighty Duty Application”, SAE Technical paper 2010-01-0806, doi:10.4271/2010-01-0806.
- Cortona, E., and Onder, C., “Engine Thermal Management with Electric Coolant Pump”, SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0965, 2000.
- Allen, D., and Lasecki, M., “Thermal Management Evolution and Co1ntrolled Coolant Flow”, SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1732, 2001.
- Wagner. J., Ghone, M., and Dawson, D., “Coolant Flow Control Strategies for Automotive Thermal Management Systems”, SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0713, 2002.
- Wagner J., Srinivasan V., and Dawson, D., “Smart Thermostat and Coolant Pump Control for Engine Thermal Management Systems”, SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0272, 2003.
- Chalgren, R., “Thermal Comfort and Engine Warm-UP Optimization of a Low-Flow Advanced Thermal Management System”, SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0047, 2004.
- Cho, H., Jung, D., Filipi, Z., Assanis, D., et al., “Application of Controllable Electric Coolant Pump for Fuel Economy and Cooling Performance Improvement”, Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power. 129(1):239-244, 2007, doi:10.1115/1.2227035.