This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Studies of Exhaust Emissions and Optical Diagnostic of Spray for Biodiesel Samples with Additives Package using a Common-Rail System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 07, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The use of biodiesel as alternative to fossil fuel for light duty CI engines to reduce greenhouse gas emissions was widely investigated. However, poor stability of biodiesel - diesel mixture limits the use of biodiesel to low volume concentrations.
This paper presents the results concerning the use of a novel fuel additive package containing antioxidant (AS), pour-point depressant (D) and biocide (Bi) with the aim to increase the quality and amount of biodiesel in the diesel-biodiesel blends. Some of the goals are linked to the degradative effects due to free radicals oxidation, contamination by water and microorganisms.
The interaction between two different additive packages and two biodiesel (soybean and rapeseed) - diesel blends at 20% in volume was investigated. Optical studies have been performed to characterize the spatial and temporal spray evolution both in a high pressure quiescent vessel and in an optically-accessible single-cylinder 2-stroke CI engine. Soot and NOx emissions were measured at the exhaust.
Physicochemical tests showed that the stability of diesel-biodiesel blends was strongly influenced by the use of the two packages of additives. The mixture containing the biocide “P” (B20SMEASDP) was approximately 87.33% more stable than the same sample containing the biocide “C” (B20SMEASDC).
Furthermore, no significant changes were observed in term of engine efficiency, fuel injection rate and spray penetration. Hence, it was demonstrated that use of additive package increased the durability of the blends without exhaust emission and performance penalties.
- Glécia Virgolino da Silva Luz - University of Brasília/UnB-Brazil
- Pilar Hidalgo - University of Brasília/UnB-Brazil
- Carlos Gurgel Veras - University of Brasília/UnB-Brazil
- Simona Merola - Istituto Motori /CNR-Naples/Italy
- Luigi Allocca - Istituto Motori /CNR-Naples/Italy
- Alessandro Montanaro - Istituto Motori /CNR-Naples/Italy
- Luca Marchitto - Istituto Motori /CNR-Naples/Italy
Citationda Silva Luz, G., Hidalgo, P., Veras, C., Merola, S. et al., "Studies of Exhaust Emissions and Optical Diagnostic of Spray for Biodiesel Samples with Additives Package using a Common-Rail System," SAE Technical Paper 2013-36-0319, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-36-0319.
- Shay, E. G., “Diesel Fuel from Vegetable Oils: Status and Opportunities,” Biomass and Bioenergy, 4(4):227-242, 1993.
- Knothe, G. and Steidley, K. R. “Kinematic viscosity of biodiesel fuel components and related compounds. Influence of compound structure and comparison to petrodiesel fuels components,” Fuel, 84:1059-1065, 2005.
- Meher, L.C., Vidya Sagar, D. and Naik, S.N. “Technical aspects of biodiesel production by transesterification - a review,” Ren. and Sust. Energy Reviews, 10:248-268,2006.
- Suarez, P.A.Z., and Meneghetti, S.M.P. “70° aniversário do biodiesel em 2007: evolução histórica e situação atual no Brasil,” Quím. Nova, 30:2068-2071,2007.
- Schuchardt, U. Sercheli and Vargas, R. M. “Transesterification of Vegetable Oils: a Review,” J. Braz. Chem. Soc., 9:199-210,1998.
- Suarez, P. A. Z., Santos, A. L. F., Rodrigues, J. P. and Alves, M. B. “Biocombustíveis a partir de óleos e gorduras: desafios tecnológicos para viabilizá-los,” Quim. Nova, 32(3):768-775,2009.
- Mittelbach, M. “Diesel fuel derived from vegetable oils, VI: Specifications and quality control of biodiesel,” Bioresource Technology,27(5):435-437,1996.
- Gurgel, C., Amaral, P. N., G., Beserra, R. and Hidalgo, P. Effect of Additives in Biodiesel on Diesel Engines Performance and Emissions, World Oil Congress on Oil and Fats & 28th ISF Congress, Sidney, 2009.
- Smalherer, C. V. and Smith, R. S. Lubrificant Additives, (Ed.) The Lezius-Hiles Co. Cleveland, Ohio, EUA, 1967.
- Joshi, R.M. and Pegg, M.J. “Flow properties of biodiesel fuel blends at low temperatures,” Fuel, 86(1-2):143-151, 2007.
- Knothe, G., Gerpen, J. V., Krahl, J. and Ramos, L. P. Manual do Biodiesel, (Ed.) Edgard Blucher, São Paulo, 2006.
- Dantas, M., Conceição, M., Fernandes Jr, V., Santos, N. et al. “Thermal and kinetic study of corn biodiesel obtained by the methanol and ethanol routes.” .l of Thermal An. & Calorimetry, 87(3):835, Mar., 2007.
- ANP, Resolução ANP N° 7, de 19.3.2008 - dou: 20.3.2008, Brasil.
- Namiki, M. “Antioxidants/antimutagens in foods,” Crit. Rev. Food Sci. Nutr. vol. 29, p. 273-300, 1990.
- Simic, M. G. and Javanovic, S. V. “Inactivation of oxygen radicals by dietary phenolic compounds in anticarcinogenesis,” ACS symposium series. Washington, p. 20-32, 1994.
- Makareviciene V. and Janulis P. “Environmental effect of rapeseed oil ethyl ester,” Renewable Energy, 28:2395-2403, 2003.
- Beech, I.B. and Gaylarde, C.C. “Recent advances in the study of biocorrosion - an overview,” Revista de Microbiologia, 30:177-190, 1999.
- Brasil, Agência Nacional do Petróleo/ANP, Resolução ANP N° 14, DE 11.5.2012 - DOU 18.5.2012-Regulamento sobre as especificação do biodiesel e e as obrigações quanto ao controle da qualidade, 18 de maio de 2012.
- Tornatore, C., Marchitto L., Mazzei, A., Valentino, G., et. al. “Effect Of Butanol Blend On In-Cylinder Combustion Process Part 2: Compression Ignition Engine”, Journal of KONES Powertrain and Transport, 18(2): 473-483,2011.
- Basshuysen, R. V. and Schaefer, F. “Internal Combustion Engine Handbook Basics, Components, Systems, and Perspectives.”, SAE International, Detroit, USA, 2004.
- Altiparmak, D. Keskin, A. Koca, A. and Guru, M. “Alternative Fuel Properties of tall oilfatty acid methyl ester-diesel fuel blends.”, Bioresource Technology, 98:241-246, 2007.
- Muralidharan, K. and Govindarajan P.. “The effect of biofuel blends and fuel injection pressure on diesel engine emission for sustainable environment.”, Am. J. Environ. Sci., 7:377-382, 2011.
- Bosch, GmbH. Automotive Eletric/Electronic Systems. Edition 1. Warrendale P.A, 1988.