This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Image Processing Applied to Flame Propagation and Ignition Delay Measurements in a Rapid Compression Machine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 07, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Regarding fuels research and development, some preliminary studies - low cost and short time - can be conducted before the traditional engine tests - more expensive and time consuming. Therefore, experimental apparatus, such as a rapid compression machine (RCM) and specific methodologies, such as imaging techniques, are very useful in order to simulate engine combustion with simplicity, agility and flexibility, reducing development time and costs.
Imaging techniques allow flame front propagation and ignition delay analysis, which are important parameters to understand fuel performance in engines and also to improve fuel modeling in engine simulation softwares.
A RCM was adapted to operate in a spark ignition engine mode. It was used to obtain high-speed photos of flame propagation and ignition delay. Contour plots of the flame front profiles were obtained in successive frames to analyze the flame development with gasoline-ethanol blends. Based on a software code, it was determined the flame size in each frame. The flame area, in pixels and the frame ratio were previously established. Then, it was possible to calculate the flame growth ratio, in pixels per frame. The results were compared to published propagation speed data.
- Antonio Carlos Scardini Villela - Petróleo Brasileiro S.A. - PETROBRAS
- Sergio William Botero - Petróleo Brasileiro S.A. - PETROBRAS
- Guilherme Bastos Machado - Petróleo Brasileiro S.A. - PETROBRAS
- Julio César Egúsquiza - Pontifical Catholic University of Rio de Janeiro
- Leonardo C. Braga - Pontifical Catholic University of Rio de Janeiro
- Sergio L. Braga - Pontifical Catholic University of Rio de Janeiro
- Calos Valois M. Braga - Pontifical Catholic University of Rio de Janeiro
CitationVillela, A., Botero, S., Machado, G., Egúsquiza, J. et al., "Image Processing Applied to Flame Propagation and Ignition Delay Measurements in a Rapid Compression Machine," SAE Technical Paper 2013-36-0296, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-36-0296.
- Pulbarek , W.W. Engineering Fundamentals of the Internal Combustion Engine Prantice-Hall Upper Saddle river 2003
- Spicher , U. , Bäcker , H. Correlation of Flame Propagation and In-Cylinder Pressure in a Spark Ignited Engine, International Fuels & Lubricants Meetings & Exposition, SAE 902126 Tulsa 1990
- Villela , A. C. S. , Egúsquiza , J. C. C. , Braga , S. L. Rapid Compression Machine Tests For Brazilian Otto Cycle Fuels SAE Brasil 2011Congress, 2011-36-0349 São Paulo - SP
- Villela A. C. S. Anhydrous and Hydrous Ethanol Performance and Combustion in Multifuel Engine Dissertação de Mestrado, PUC-Rio 2010
- Broustail , G. , Seers , P. , Halter F. , Moréac G. , Mounaim-Rousselle , C. Experimental determination of laminar burning velocity for butanol and ethanol iso-octane blends Fuel 90 2011 1 6
- van Lipzig J.P.J. , Nilsson E.J.K. , de Goey L.P.H. , Konnov A.A. , Laminar burning velocities of n-heptane, isooctane, ethanol and their binary and tertiary mixtures Fuel 90 2011 2773 2781
- Beeckmann J. , Kruse S. , Peters N. , Effect of Ethanol and n-Butanol on Standard Gasoline Regarding Laminar Burning Velocities SAE 2010-01-1452
- Chareonphonphanich Chinda , Srichai Prathan , Flame Propagation of Bio-Ethanol in a Constant Volume Combustion Chamber SAE 2009-32-0113
- Villela , A. C. S. , Machado , G. B. , Egúsquiza , J. C. C. , Braga , C. V. M. , Braga , S. L. Gasoline-Ethanol Combustion Study in a Rapid Compression Machine SAE 2012-36-0474
- Broustail , G. , Halter F. , Seers P. , Moréac G. , Mounaïm-Rousselle C. , Experimental determination of laminar burning velocity for butanol/iso-octane and ethanol/isooctane blends for different initial pressures Fuel 2012
- Galmiche B. , Halter F. , Foucher F. , Effects of high pressure, high temperature and dilution on laminar burning velocities and Markstein lengths of iso-octane/air mixtures Combustion and Flame 159 2012 3286 3299
- Jerzembeck S. , Petersa N. , Pepiot-Desjardins P. , Pitsch H. , Laminar burning velocities at high pressure for primary reference fuels and gasoline: Experimental and numerical investigation Combustion and Flame 156 2009 292 301