This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Implementation of a Programmable Electronic Management System for Internal Combustion Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 07, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Several injection and ignition systems have been developed and tested since the invention of the internal combustion engine. As environmental regulations have become more stringent over the years, an electronic injection and ignition systems of the mixture air/fuel was implemented in the vehicles. Since then these systems have constantly been improved with the inclusion of devices, sensors and actuators that help them work more efficiently, both to gain power and for the enforcement of environmental laws in force in each country. For the correct operation of the engine electronic management it is extremely important to develop a software that can perfectly control the inputs (sensors) and outputs (actuators) information. The task of adjustment and calibration of the software requires a programmable module, which is connected to the vehicle and tested with various settings until an ideal fit between performance and emissions can be reached. This paper proposes the implementation of a programmable electronic management system that can replace the original system of the vehicle without exceeding the limits of pollutant emissions described in the Brazilian legislation. To achieve this goal, it will be necessary to analyze the behavior of the vehicle with its original management system and with the use of specific equipment such as the gas analyzer (emission pollutants), the automotive scanner (parameters of the management system) and the dynamometer (power and torque). Therefore this work presents the methodology, testing, advantages, disadvantages and limitations of implementing a programmable electronic management system for an internal combustion engine.
CitationBusinaro, D., Sforcin, F., Gomes, C., and de Salvo, O., "Implementation of a Programmable Electronic Management System for Internal Combustion Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2013-36-0201, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-36-0201.
- DENTON , Tom Automobile electrical and electronic systems 3 Oxford Elsevier Butterworth - Heinemann 2004
- PUJATTI , Fabrício José Pacheco Desenvolvimento de um sistema de gerenciamento eletrônico para motores de ignição por centelha 2007 221 f Thesis (Doctorate in Mechanical Engineering) - Escola de Engenharia Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais Belo Horizonte
- EMANUELLI , Luiz Carlos et al. Combustíveis São Paulo SENAI 2004
- CORRADINI , Fernando Efeito da temperatura do liquido de arrefecimento na produção de emissões poluentes de motor de ignição por faísca 2005 82 f Dissertation (MSc in Automotive Engineering) - Escola Politécnica Universidade de São Paulo São Paulo
- SALVO , Orlando Vehicle Inspection Class Notes FATEC Santo André 2011
- CONTROLAR Information on legislation of pollutant emission by vehicles http://www.controlar.com.br/OPrograma_Legislacao.aspx 12 10 2011
- SVMA, Department of the Green and Environment of São Paulo Information on legislation of pollutant emission by vehicles http://www3.prefeitura.sp.gov.br/cadlem/secretarias/negocios_juridicos/cadlem/integra.asp?alt=24122010P%20001292010SVMA 12 10 2011
- HIS POWER. Programmable electronic management unit www.his-power.com.br/ 23 04 2011
- QUATRO RODAS, Magazine of 1997
- GOMES , Cleber William Management Units Class Notes FATEC Santo André 2010