This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Optimization of an Exhaust System Double-Muffler to Mono-Muffler
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 07, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The quest for better products to satisfy the expectations of today's markets has been demanding more and more studies to be carried out in the area of optimization, both for the development of new software applications or algorithms that are truly robust for particular applications and for the instrumentation tools which are becoming increasingly calibrated and dedicated. Given this scenario, the autoparts industry has a fundamental role to play as it is here that vehicle components are conceived and exhaustively studied. Given the importance of the suppliers to this process, the aim of this work is to present a study on the optimization of an automotive exhaust system using the virtual tool GT-Power, in which a system comprising two mufflers, referred to here as a double-muffler (expansion boxes - noise suppressor and muffler), was replaced by a single-muffler system, or a mono-muffler. The results showed a performance gain, both acoustically and in terms of backpressure on the engine, as well as a possible reduction in costs, as the mono-muffler system has fewer components. These studies could not have been conducted without the wealth of studies devoted to exhaust components and their specialization. All the components tested virtually were subjected to experimental tests such as tailpipe noise and measurement of pressure to confirm the results.
CitationMoura, M. and de Oliveira, A., "Optimization of an Exhaust System Double-Muffler to Mono-Muffler," SAE Technical Paper 2013-36-0100, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-36-0100.
- Barron , R. F. Industrial Noise Control and Acoustics Marcel Dekker, Inc 2003
- Genuit , K The sound quality of vehicle interior noise: a challenge for the NVH-engineers International Journal of Vehicle Noise and Vibration 1 1-2 158 168 2004
- Gerges , S. N. Y. Ruído - Fundamentos e Controle NR. Florianópolis, Brasil 675 2000
- Hill , W. , Dowling , D. R. Exhaust System Acoustic and BackPressure Tenneco Inc. Grass Lake, USA 338 2007
- Ismail , K. A. R. , Moura , L. F. M. Métodos Numéricos em Mecânica dos Fluídos Apostila Didática. Unicamp 1994
- Krebber , W. , Genuit , K. , Sottek , R. Sound Quality of Vehicle Exterior Noise Proceeding of Forum Acusticum 2002
- Moura , M. S. , Oliveira , A. R. G. , Ichano Junior , N. Melhora de Parâmetros Acústicos Reais Através de Ferramentas de Predição em Sistemas de Exaustão SAE Technical Paper Series 2008
- Munjal , M. L. Acoustic of Ducts and Mufflers John Wiley & Sons Inc. United States 328 1987
- Newton , I. Principia 1687 2 nd Cajori , F. Newton's Principia: Motte's Translation Revised University of California Press Berkeley, CA 1934
- de Oliveira , A. R. , Moura , M. S. , de Amorim , O. S. , Silva , R. O. Development of Unified Exhaust System Supported by CAE Softwares SAE International Congress Sao Paulo, Brazil 2010
- Rayleigh , J. W. S. The Theory of Sound 2 nd xi xxii Dover Publications New York 1945