This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Correlation Test: Guaporé Mountain Test vs Proving Ground
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 15, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Downhill tests are widely used as a method of evaluation, development and validation of braking efficiency, friction pair durability, braking balance, as well as fade characteristics and recovery of friction material properties. This test procedure is used for both: passenger vehicles and light & heavy commercial vehicles.
The energy levels in the brake system are higher on commercial vehicles and the thermal characteristics much more critical. Added to the fact that such tests are conducted on public highways, it has an intrinsic security risk for both the vehicle tested and all others around.
Until a few years ago, it was still feasible to conduct tests downhill on different routes keeping a high security level. Given an increasing traffic on highways, where the test is currently carried out, a need to create a similar downhill procedure (called Guaporé Mountain Test) within a Proving Ground under controlled conditions has been noticed.
In addition to increased safety conditions to conduct tests by performing them in a well-controlled environment with known boundary conditions, it was also possible to increase the repeatability and reduce the execution time of the tests.
|Ground Vehicle Standard
|Service Brake Structural Integrity Test Procedure - Vehicles Over 4500 kg (10000 pounds) GVWR
|Wheel Testing and Field Correlation — Present and Future
|Ground Vehicle Standard
|Combined Cornering and Braking Test for Truck and Bus Tires
Citationde Souza, A., Roman, A., Prado, W., and Iombriller, S., "Correlation Test: Guaporé Mountain Test vs Proving Ground," SAE Technical Paper 2013-36-0038, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-36-0038.
- Corporate Engineering Test Procedure Mountain Brake Test Ford Motor Company 2000
- US Army Developmental Test Command Test Operations Procedure 2008 http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=ADA489156 jan
- SAE J1247 Simulated Mountain-Brake Performance Test Procedure 2002
- ISO 12161 Road vehicles - Endurance braking systems of motor vehicles and towed vehicles - Test procedures 2006
- Gillespie , T. D. Fundamentals of vehicle dynamics 2 Warrendale SAE 1992
- Nicolazzi et al
- Guaporé Mountain Test Procedure