This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Construction of Data-Setting Configuration Using Prescribed Template and Profile for Competition Motorcycles
Published October 15, 2013 by Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan in Japan
Annotation ability available
In racing world regardless of two-wheeled vehicle (motorcycle) or four-wheeled vehicle, vehicle setting is performed in accordance with various race conditions. From the age of carburetor till even now ECU is used, vehicle setting executes as well and plays an important role. Changeover to electronic control makes vehicle control more precise; meanwhile, vehicle control technique to become complicated is occurring every day. Therefore, whenever a new competition vehicle is developed, tool required for vehicle setting is also necessary to be updated according to vehicle control technique implemented. Setting-method till now is that, all information required for vehicle setting is packaged in tool, thereby tool and vehicle have always been a combination of 1-to-1. Consequently, in manufacturer's vehicle development, tool development / update becomes a burden and leads to increment of development costs. Furthermore, when purchasing a new vehicle in order to participate racing, user needs to update tool simultaneously, tool-buying expense and approaching effort also become a burden.
This research has explored setting-method without need of frequent tool update, aiming to solve the problems caused by current setting-method and obtain flexibility with increasing complexity of vehicle control. Configuration that classifies vehicle setting information into common term information and vehicle control dependence information is adopted, i.e., common term information is kept on tool side as template, and vehicle control dependence information is kept on ECU side as profile. At the first time connecting tool with vehicle, vehicle model information and all setting data for editing are read from prescribed profile of ECU; setting data edit screens are built from prescribed template of tool, and operated as database afterwards. From next time, tool is selectable from database by vehicle model information. Data-setting configuration using prescribed template and profile has been put into practical use for competition motorcycles; as a result, that a single tool can deal with multiple ECU equipped not only in same vehicle, but also in different category vehicle, has been realized.
Technical contents and substantiation results have been firstly summarized in this paper.
CitationSuda, T., Tsunokawa, K., Kanno, S., Sun, X. et al., "Construction of Data-Setting Configuration Using Prescribed Template and Profile for Competition Motorcycles," SAE Technical Paper 2013-32-9040, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-32-9040.
- Akiyama , H. , Suzuki , K. , Araki , K. , Nakano , Y. Development of carburetors and element parts of fuel injection system for motorcycles SETC Technical Paper JSAE 20056598 SAE 2005-32-0068
- Kanno , S. Engine calibration systems and engine calibration methods Japan Patent 2010-84544 / 2010-84569 / 2010-84631 April 15 2010 Request for Substantive Examination
- Kanno , S. , Tsunokawa , K. , Suda , T. Vehicle calibration techniques established and substantiated for motorcycles SETC Technical Paper SAE 2012-32-0047 /JSAE 20129047
- Suda , T. ECU data-setting system Japan Patent November 19 2012
- Tsunokawa , K. , Suda , T. , Kanno , S. Mass-production ECU based vehicle calibration techniques Japan Patent February 6 2012