High Performance Characteristics of a Motorcycle Powered by a Four-Stroke Small 50cc-125cc Engine at the Expense of a Positive Displacement Air Compressor as a Supercharger
- Technical Paper
- DOI: https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-32-9015
There are several problems with small motorcycle (moped, scooter) engines of 50cc-125cc displacement, and even up to 200cc for special applications. Lack of engine power and design complexity of a multi-valve cylinder head are the most important problems.
Despite some isolated attempts and several patented works the small engines of 50cc to 350cc displacement undeservedly remain without adequate air charging means - neither superchargers nor turbochargers are offered to the market.
This article presents a theoretical basis on how to improve high performance characteristics of a motorbike by supplying a working cylinder with additional compressed air under certain conditions. A few versions of a positive displacement air compressor (supercharger) have been developed, built, and used for engine boosting. Road tests of the pitbike motorcycle equipped with our small rotor-vane compressor were performed. The results exceed expectations of the supercharger's performance and efficiency. Thus, to reach 50km/h for the motorcycle powered by the 50cc four-stroke engine equipped with the supercharger, 40% less time is needed than for the same motorcycle powered by a naturally aspirated engine.
- Konstantin E. Starodetko - International Academy of Information Technologies
- Simon Simand - International Academy of Information Technologies
- Tcheslav B. Drobychevskj - International Academy of Information Technologies
- Vladimir J. Belyaev - International Academy of Information Technologies
- Konstantin N. Yurchuk - International Academy of Information Technologies
- Aliaksandr A. Vitsiaz - Bereza Motor Rebuilt Plant
- Dmitriy V. Kuzmenkov - Tascotrade Co.
CitationStarodetko, K., Simand, S., Drobychevskj, T., Belyaev, V. et al., "High Performance Characteristics of a Motorcycle Powered by a Four-Stroke Small 50cc-125cc Engine at the Expense of a Positive Displacement Air Compressor as a Supercharger," SAE Technical Paper 2013-32-9015, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-32-9015.
- Heywood, J., 1988, “Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals”, McGraw-Hill
- Heisler, H., 1997, “Advanced Engine Technology”, SAE international
- Stone, R. 1999, “Introduction to Internal Combustion Engines”, MacMillan Press
- Watson, N. and Janota, M., 1982, “Turbocharging the Internal Combustion Engine”, MacMillan Press
- “Rotrex C8 Technical Data Sheet”, from http://rotrex.com/Home/Technology/Product_Technical_Data
- Calender, E., Douglas, R. and Thornhill, D., “The Potential of 50cc Four-stroke Engines for Moped Applications.” SAE Technical Paper 982050, 1998
- Elsberg A., “Supercharging small engines”, from http://www.elsberg-tuning.dk/supercharging.html
- Hlumskij, V., 1962 “Porshnevue kompressory”, MASHGIZ. Moscow, USSR
- “Supercharger Installation, Part 3”, from http://victorylibrary.com/supercharger/super-choices3.htm
- Peck, J., “The A.B.C. of Shorrock Supercharging”, from http://www.bcsc.co.uk/supercharginginfo/supercharging.pdf
- Starodetko, K.E., Drobishevskiy, Ch.B., 2005, “Rotary Compressor”, PCT claim WO/2005/052373
- Bekman, V.V., 1961 “Gonochnye Motocikly”, MASHGIZ, M.-L., USSR
- Bouthcer, P., 2000, “Bolt-on Super Charger System and Method”, U.S. Patent 6,012,436
- Carlson, M., 2009, “Eccentric Pulley Shaft”, U.S. patent 7,481,206 B1
- Minore, M., Otani, J., Kaji, K., Masumura, M., 1977, “Supercharged Internal Combustion Engine”, U.S. Patent 4,062,333
- Honda CRF-50F and CRF-70F models, from http://world.honda.com/CRF/family/
- Zinner, C., Abart, M., Schoegl, O., Schmidt, St., “Charging and Powersport for Motorcycles: A Contradiction?” SAE Technical Paper JSAE 20119585/SAE 2011-32-0585. 2011. doi
- Wilkinson, P., Kennedy, R., “Reducing CO2 Emissions from Port Injected Gasoline Engines Using Novel Micro-Superchargers and Fuel-Air Mixing Technologies” SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0420. 2012, doi10.4271/2012-01-0420
- Challen, B. and Baranescu, R., 1999, “Diesel Engine Reference Book”, SAE International, Second Edition
- Starodetko, E.A., Starodetko, G.E., Starodetko, K.E., Simand, S., 1996, “Method of carrying out a cycle in a piston internal combustion engine and a piston internal combustion engine”, U.S. Patent 5,870,893
- Starodetko, E.A., Starodetko, G.E., Starodetko, K.E., Simand, S., 1997, “Superdvigatel”, Institut Tehnicheskoi Kibernetiki Nacionalnaoi Akademii Nauk. Minsk, Belarus.
- Simand, S., Starodetko, G.E., and Starodetko, K.E., “Efficient Car Drive /Superengine.” SAE Technical Report, Future Transportation Technology Conference, San Diego, August 1997, 8p.
- Drobishevskiy, Ch.B., Karagodin, E.C., Malashenko, E.S., Manshin, G.G., Markovsky A.B., Mitrohin, N.N., Smolsky, A.N., Starodetko, K.E., 2012, “Puti Povysheniya Konkurentosposobnosti DVS: problemy I Resheniya”, Moskovski Avtomobilno-Dorozhny Gosudarstvennyi Tehnicheskiy Universitet (MADI), Tehpoligrafcentr, Moscow, Russia.
- Starodetko, E.A., Starodetko, K.E., Vityaz, A.A., 2004, “Operation Method for a Piston Internal Combustion Engine using Prolonged Expansion and An Internal Combustion Engine for Carrying out Said Method, PCT claim WO/2004/076833