This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Mathematical Model of Dual Brake Valve for Dynamic Characterization
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 09, 2013 by The Automotive Research Association of India in India
Annotation ability available
Air brake system is widely used in heavy duty trucks and buses due to its great performance and efficiency. Dual brake valve (DBV) is one the of major and crucial component of an air brake system as it is controlling the air flow from reservoir to brake chamber during braking operation. Currently, due to its own complexity, it is very difficult for designer to optimize different parameters. As experimentation is tedious and time consuming task, hence it is very important to have mathematical model of DBV during in early design stage. Differential equations have been formulated for individual component of DBV such as primary piston, primary valve, relay piston, and relay valve etc. system level mathematical model has been formulated and implemented in Matlab/Simulink to capture the dynamic pressure characteristic of DBV. At the same time mathematical model of DBV has been created in AMESim to check the validity of approach. Result from these approaches have been verified and validated with experimental results. A comparison of these results shows that adopted approaches have been showing a very good correlation with experimental result. Furthermore same model can be extended to calculate the response time and other characteristic of a complete pneumatic brake circuit.
CitationPatil, J., Palanivelu, S., and Jindal, A., "Mathematical Model of Dual Brake Valve for Dynamic Characterization," SAE Technical Paper 2013-26-0150, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-26-0150.
- Limpert . R. Brake Design and Safety SAE Order No. R-198 1999
- Limpert . R. Engineer Design Handbook, Analysis and Design of Automotive Brake System US Army Material Development and Rediness Command, DARCOM-P 706 758 1976
- Subramanian . S. C. , Darbha . S. , Rajgopalan . K. A Diagnostic system for Air brakes in commertial vehicles IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transporation Systems 7 3 September 2006 360 376
- Subramanian . S. C. , Darbha . S. , Rajgopalan . K. R, A Modeling the Pneumatic subsystem of an S-cam Air brake system Trans. Of the ASME, J. Of Dynamic Systems, Measurements, and Control 126 2004 36 46
- Wu , J. , Zhang , H. , Zhang , Y. , and Chen , L. Robust Design of a Pneumatic Brake System in Commercial Vehicles SAE Int. J. Commer. Veh. 2 1 17 28 2009 10.4271/2009-01-0408
- Kulesza Z , Franciszek S Modeling the Air Brake System Equipped With Brake And Relay Valve Scientific Journals, Maritime University of Szczecin 2010 24 96 5 11
- Kulesza Z Modeling the multi-circuit pneumatic brake systems Ph. d thesis Warsaw University of technology Warsaw 2003