This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Studies on Neutral Gear Rattle in Early Stage Design
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 09, 2013 by The Automotive Research Association of India in India
Annotation ability available
In today's competitive automobile market, customers have become more sensitive towards NVH behavior of the vehicle than ever. The noise generated by gear rattle is one of the main contributors towards customer's overall NVH perception. This paper adopts a model based design approach towards gear rattle phenomenon to predict the tendency of gear rattle at a very early stage of design. This up-front understanding of gear rattle will potentially reduce the expensive design changes and iterations at later stages. A single unloaded gear pair is modeled in AMESim software, which is then extended to the complete gearbox in neutral condition. The sensitivity of rattle index for different input parameters is studied. Analysis on uncertainty propagation is carried out to find the rattle index distribution for Gaussian variation of input parameters. A novel rattle index based on Jerk is proposed and compared with the existing index. Both the indices are later predicted for the complete gearbox and the contribution of each pair towards rattle is analyzed.
|Technical Paper||A Systems Approach to Reducing Gear Rattle|
|Technical Paper||Numerical Methods to Calculate Gear Transmission Noise|
|Journal Article||Influence of Gyroscopic Effect on Hypoid and Bevel Geared System Dynamics|
CitationBile, Y., Gondhalekar, A., and Kumbhar, M., "Studies on Neutral Gear Rattle in Early Stage Design," SAE Technical Paper 2013-26-0109, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-26-0109.
- Theodossiades , S. , Tangasawi , O. and Rahnejat , H. Gear Teeth Impacts in Hydrodynamic Conjuctions Promoting Idle Gear Rattle Journal of Sound and Vibration 302 632 658 2007
- Sakai , T. , Doi , Y. , Yamamoto , M. , Ogasawara , T. and Narita , M. Theoretical and Experimental Analysis of Rattling Noise of Automotive Gearbox SAE paper No. 810773 1981 10.4271/810773
- Singh , R. , Xie , H. and Comparin , R. J. Analysis of Automotive Neutral Gear Rattle Journal of Sound and Vibration 131 2 177 196 1989
- Padmanabhan , C. , Todd , E. R. and Singh , R. Modelling of Automotive Gear Rattle Phenomenon: State of the Art SAE Technical paper, 951316 1995
- Wang , M., Y. , Manoj , R. and Zhao , W. Gear Rattle Modelling and Analysis for Automotive Manual Transmissions Proc Instn Mech Engrs 215 241 258 1999
- Ashley R., C. , Carrie , J. and Singh R. Quantification of Clearance-Induced Impulsive Sources in a Torsional System Journal of Sound and Vibration 307 428 451 2007
- Bozca , M. Torsional Vibration Model Based Optimization of Gearbox Geometrical Design Parameters to Reduce Rattle Noise in an Automotive Transmission Mechanism and Machine Theory 45 1583 1598 2010
- Kim , T. C. and Singh , R. Dynamic Interactions Between Loaded and Unloaded Gear Pairs Under Rattle Conditions SAE Paper No. 1553 2001 10.4271/1553
- Garcia , O., M. , Kargar , K. Simulation Tool for Transmission and Drivelione Systems Design SAE Paper 2000-01-0832 2000 10.4271/2000-01-0832
- Qi , W. , Yanjie , L. and Jingyue , W. Modeling and Simulation of Valve-Controlled Cylinder System Based on Bond Graph Modern Applied Science 6 9 2012
- Wang , J. , Li , R. , Peng , X. Survey of Nonlinear Vibration of Gear Transmission Systems Applied mechanics Review 5693 309 329 2003
- Haugen , E., B. , Probabilistic Mechanical Design Wiley-Inter Science Publication 1980