This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Tractor Operator Objective Response to Seat Vibration in Real World Usage Pattern
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 09, 2013 by The Automotive Research Association of India in India
Annotation ability available
Whole Body Vibration (WBV) of tractors was measured on different surfaces in real world usage pattern of Indian customers on tractors of various capacities. Vibration levels were measured at the interface of the seat and the operator, on the seat base/floor and on the head. The mean weighted Root Mean Square (RMS) values along the different axes, the vector sum of weighted RMS values along the three orthogonal axes, the crest factor, Vibration Dose Value (VDV) and 8 h exposure levels were calculated according to ISO 2631-1. In addition to the above parameters, the transmissibility between the seat base and the seat interface (SEAT) and between the seat interface and the operator head (TR) were also calculated. Finally, these parameters were correlated with the subjective feel of customers which was captured through suitable questionnaires. It is observed that the Indian tractor operators are exposed to WBV that exceeds the cautionary boundaries set in place by the ISO 2631-1.
CitationPawar, S., Bodla, M., Bhangale, R., and Kumbhar, M., "Tractor Operator Objective Response to Seat Vibration in Real World Usage Pattern," SAE Technical Paper 2013-26-0097, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-26-0097.
- Smith D R and Leggat P A Whole-Body Vibration Health Effects, Measurement and Minimization Professional Safety 35 40 2005
- Paschold H W and Mayton A G Whole-Body Vibration Building Awareness in SH&E Professional Safety 30 35 2011
- Griffin M J Minimum Health and Safety Requirements for Workers Exposed to Hand-transmitted Vibration and Whole-body Vibration in the European Union; a Review Occup Environ Med 61 387 397 2004
- Donati P Survey of Technical Preventative Measures to Reduce Whole-Body Vibration Effects When Designing Mobile Machinery Journal of Sound and Vibration 253 1 169 183 2002
- FICCI Agricultural Machinery Sector in India Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry New Delhi 2007
- Kittusamy N K Whole-Body Vibration and Postural Stress among Operators of Construction Equipment: A Literature Review Journal of Safety Research 35 3 255 261 2004
- ISO 2631-1 1997 Mechanical Vibration and Shock - Evaluation of Human Exposure to Whole-Body Vibration-Part 1: General Requirements International Organization for Standardization Geneva 1997
- ISO 10326-1 1992 Mechanical Vibration - Laboratory method for Evaluating vehicle seat vibration-Part 1: Basic Requirements International Organization for Standardization Geneva 1992
- Griffin M Handbook of Human Vibration Academic Press London
- Bruel & Kjaer booklet Human Vibration 1989