This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Pollution Constrained Optimal Energy Management of a Gasoline-HEV
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In Hybrid Electric Vehicles (HEV), the electrical hybridization offers different ways to reduce the fuel consumption: kinetic energy recuperation during vehicle deceleration, possibility of stopping the engine, and intelligent Energy Management System (EMS). Besides, with the future more stringent standards, there is a need to integrate the pollutant emissions in the EMS, since strictly reducing the fuel consumption can increase the emissions.
The paper presents an optimal energy management strategy with constraints on pollutant emissions for gasoline-HEV, taking into account the 3-Way Catalyst Converter (3WCC). Based on a complete model of the powertrain, a mixed fuel consumption / pollutant emissions performance index is minimized with the Pontryaguin Minimum Principle (PMP) and two states, the battery State Of Charge and the 3WCC temperature. Simulation results are presented showing that simply including the 3WCC dynamics in the pollutant emissions leads to a 1-state problem, easier to solve and giving better results for reducing fuel consumption and pollutants emissions, with a lesser use of the battery.
CitationMichel, P., Charlet, A., Colin, G., Chamaillard, Y. et al., "Pollution Constrained Optimal Energy Management of a Gasoline-HEV," SAE Technical Paper 2013-24-0083, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-24-0083.
- Pontriaguine , L.S. , Boltânskij , V.G. , Gamkrelidze , R.V. , and Miŝenko , E.F. Théorie mathématique des processus optimaux Editions Mir 1974
- Paganelli , G. , Delprat , S. , Guerra , T.-M. , Rimaux , J. , and Santin , J.J. Equivalent consumption minimization strategy for parallel hybrid powertrains Proc. 55 th IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference 4 2076 2081 2002
- Musardo , C. , Rizzoni , G. , and Staccia , B A-ECMS: An Adaptive Algorithm for Hybrid Electric Vehicle Energy Management Proc. 44th IEEE Conference on Decision and Control and 2005 European Control Conference 1816 1823 2005
- Grondin , O. , Thibault , L. , Moulin , P. et al. Energy management strategy for Diesel hybrid electric vehicle IEEE Vehicle Power and Propulsion Conference (VPPC) 2011
- Millo , F. , Rolando , L. , and Servetto , E. Development of a Control Strategy for Complex Light-Duty Diesel-Hybrid Powertrains SAE Technical Paper 2011-24-0076 2011 10.4271/2011-24-0076
- Musardo , G. , Staccia , B. , Midlam-Mohler , S. et al. Supervisory control for NO x reduction of an HEV with a mixed-mode HCCI/CIDI engine Proc. 2005 American Control Conference 6 3877 3881 2005
- Ouladsine , M. , Bloch , G. , and Dovifaaz , X. Neural Modeling and Control of a Diesel Engine with Pollution Constraints Journal of Intelligent & Robotic Systems 41 2-3 157 171 Jan. 2005
- Lescot , J. , Sciarretta , A. , Chamaillard , Y. , and Charlet , A. On the integration of optimal energy management and thermal management of hybrid electric vehicle IEEE Vehicle Power and Propulsion Conference (VPPC) 2010
- Serrao , L. , Sciarretta , A. , Grondin , O. et al. Open Issues in Supervisory Control of Hybrid Electric Vehicles: A Unified Approach using Optimal Control Methods IFP Int. Scient. Conf. on hybrid and electric vehicles (RHEVE) 2011
- Chasse , A. , Corde , G. , Del Mastro , A. , and Perez , F. Online optimal control of a parallel hybrid with after-treatment constraint integration IEEE Vehicle Power and Propulsion Conference (VPPC) 2010
- Michel , P. , Charlet , A. , Colin , G. , Chamaillard , Y. et al. Energy management of HEV to optimize fuel consumption and pollutant emissions 11 th Int. Symposium on Advanced Vehicle Control (AVEC 2012) 2012