This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Towards HCCI Control by Ozone Seeding
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Nowadays, the main objectives in the automobile engine field are to reduce fuel consumption and pollutant emissions. HCCI engines can be a good solution to meet pollutant emission requirements and to achieve high combustion efficiency. However, before an HCCI engine is used as a conventional engine, several problems must be overcome, in particular control of the progression of combustion.
Many studies have been conducted into possible control methods. A new strategy consists in using oxidizing chemical species such as ozone to seed the intake of a HCCI engine. As increasingly smaller ozonizers are now being designed, this kind of device could be integrated on a vehicle and on a HCCI engine, in order to control combustion phasing and promote the future use of this engine as a conventional engine.
In the present study, experiments on a HCCI engine fuelled with iso-octane were carried out with ozone seeding in the intake. Results showed that when assisted by the addition of ozone, combustion can be enhanced and moved forward. Consequently, the use of oxidizing chemical species can be a means to control HCCI combustion. Depending on the inlet temperature, the control of combustion phasing may be more or less easy due to sensitivity to the ozone concentration. The present results also show the existence of a cool flame in the case of iso-octane combustion, indicating that ozone seeding can also be used in order to study iso-octane cool flame in a HCCI engine.
CitationMasurier, J., Foucher, F., Dayma, G., Mounaïm-Rousselle, C. et al., "Towards HCCI Control by Ozone Seeding," SAE Technical Paper 2013-24-0049, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-24-0049.
- Yao M., Zheng Z., and Liu H., “Progress and recent trends in homogeneous charge compression ignition (HCCI) engines,” Progress in Energy and Combustion Science, vol. 35, no. 5, pp. 398-437, Oct. 2009.
- Mohammadi, A., Kawanabe, H., Ishiyama, T., Shioji, M. et al., “Study on Combustion Control in Natural- Gas PCCI Engines with Ozone Addition into Intake Gas,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0419, 2006, doi:10.4271/2006-01-0419.
- Machrafi H. and Cavadias S., “An experimental and numerical analysis of the influence of the inlet temperature, equivalence ratio and compression ratio on the HCCI auto-ignition process of Primary Reference Fuels in an engine,” Fuel Processing Technology, vol. 89, no. 11, pp. 1218-1226, Nov. 2008.
- Dubreuil, A., Foucher, F., and Mounaïm-Rousselle, C., “Effect of EGR Chemical Components and Intake Temperature on HCCI Combustion Development,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-32-0044, 2006, doi:10.4271/2006-32-0044.
- Chun-hua Z., Jiang-ru P., Juan-juan T., and Jing L., “Effects of Intake Temperature and Excessive Air Coefficient on Combustion Characteristics and Emissions of HCCI Combustion,” Procedia Environmental Sciences, vol. 11, pp. 1119-1127, Jan. 2011.
- Lü X.-C., Chen W., and Huang Z., “A fundamental study on the control of the HCCI combustion and emissions by fuel design concept combined with controllable EGR. Part 2. Effect of operating conditions and EGR on HCCI combustion,” Fuel, vol. 84, no. 9, pp. 1084-1092, Jun. 2005.
- Tanaka S., Ayala F., Keck J. C., and Heywood J. B., “Two-stage ignition in HCCI combustion and HCCI control by fuels and additives,” Combustion and Flame, vol. 132, pp. 219-239, 2003.
- Lü X.-C., Chen W., and Huang Z., “A fundamental study on the control of the HCCI combustion and emissions by fuel design concept combined with controllable EGR. Part 1. The basic characteristics of HCCI combustion,” Fuel, vol. 84, no. 9, pp. 1074-1083, Jun. 2005.
- Saisirirat P., Togbé C., Chanchaona S., Foucher F., Mounaim-Rousselle C., and Dagaut P., “Auto-ignition and combustion characteristics in HCCI and JSR using 1-butanol/n-heptane and ethanol/n-heptane blends,” Proceedings of the Combustion Institute, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 3007-3014, Jan. 2011.
- Yamada H., Yoshii M., and Tezaki A., “Chemical mechanistic analysis of additive effects in homogeneous charge compression ignition of dimethyl ether,” Proceedings of the Combustion Institute, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 2773-2780, Jan. 2005.
- Fathi M., Saray R. K., and Checkel M. D., “The influence of Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) on combustion and emissions of n-heptane/natural gas fueled Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) engines,” Applied Energy, vol. 88, no. 12, pp. 4719-4724, Dec. 2011.
- Tachibana T., Hirata K., Nishida H., and Osada H., “Effect of ozone on combustion of compression ignition engines,” Combustion and Flame, vol. 85, no. 3-4, pp. 515-519, Jun. 1991.
- Schönborn A., Hellier P., Aliev A. E., and Ladommatos N., “Ignition control of homogeneous-charge compression ignition (HCCI) combustion through adaptation of the fuel molecular structure by reaction with ozone,” Fuel, vol. 89, no. 11, pp. 3178-3184, Nov. 2010.
- Nishida H. and Tachibana T., “Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition of Natural Gas / Air Mixture with Ozone Addition,” Journal of Propulsion and Power, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 151-157, 2006.
- Foucher F., Higelin P., Mounaïm-Rousselle C., and Dagaut P., “Influence of ozone on the combustion of n-heptane in a HCCI engine,” Proceedings of the Combustion Institute, vol. 34, no. 2, pp. 3005-3012, Jan. 2013.
- Masurier J. and Foucher F., “Etude Expérimentale du Contrôle de la Combustion HCCI par l'Ajout d'Espèces Minoritaires,” Rapport de stage Master II, 2012.
- Dubreuil A., Foucher F., and Mounaïm-Rousselle C., “Analysis of Flame and OH* Natural Emissions of n - Heptane Combustion in a Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) Engine: Effect of Burnt Gas Dilution,” Energy & Fuels, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 1406-1411, Mar. 2009.
- Lutz A. E., Kee R. J., and Miller J. A., “Senkin: a Fortran Program for Predicting Homogeneous Gas Phase Chemical Kinetics with Sensitivity Analysis,” Sandia report SAND87-8248, Sandia National, Laboratories, Livermore, CA, 1987.
- Contino F., Foucher F., Dagaut P., Lucchini T., D'Errico G., and Mounaïm-Rousselle C., “Experimental and numerical analysis of nitric oxide effect on the ignition of iso-octane in a single cylinder HCCI engine,” Combustion and Flame, vol. 160, no. 8, pp. 1476-1483, Aug. 2013.