This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental Investigation of a Methane-Gasoline Dual-Fuel Combustion in a Small Displacement Optical Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In this paper the methane-gasoline dual fuel combustion was investigated. Gasoline was injected in the intake manifold (PFI fuel), while methane was injected in the combustion chamber (DI fuel), in order to reproduce a stratified combustion. The combustion process and the related engine performance and pollutant emissions were analyzed.
The measurements were carried out in an optically accessible small single-cylinder four-stroke engine. It was equipped with the cylinder head of a commercial 250 cc engine representative of the most popular two-wheel vehicles in Europe. Optical measurements were performed to analyze the combustion process with high spatial and temporal resolution. In particular, optical techniques based on 2D-digital imaging were used to follow the flame front propagation and the soot and temperature concentration in the combustion chamber. The regulated and unregulated emissions were characterized by means of gaseous analyzers, a gas chromatography and an opacimeter at the exhaust. The measurements were performed under steady state conditions at fixed engine speed at different dual fuel ratios. The measurement showed that dual fuel operation permit to improve the quality of the gaseous fuel combustion adding the liquid fuel and the gas and particulate matter emissions are significantly lower compared to the respective ones under gasoline operation.
|Journal Article||Experimental Studies on the Occurrence of Low-Speed Pre-Ignition in Turbocharged GDI Engines|
|Technical Paper||Modeling of HCCI Combustion and Emissions Using Detailed Chemistry|
CitationDi Iorio, S., Sementa, P., and Vaglieco, B., "Experimental Investigation of a Methane-Gasoline Dual-Fuel Combustion in a Small Displacement Optical Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2013-24-0046, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-24-0046.
- Pirker , G. , Chmela , F. , and Wimmer , A. Automated Parameter Determination for IC Engine Simulation Models SAE Int. J. Engines 2 1 539 547 2009 10.4271/2009-01-0674
- Srinivasan KK , Krishnan SR , Midkiff KC Improving low load combustion stability and emissions in pilot-ignited natural gas engines Proc Inst Mech Eng (Part D), J Autom Eng 2006 220 229 39
- Rousseau S , Lemoult B , Tazerout M Combustion characteristics of natural gas in a lean burn spark-ignition engine Proc Inst Mech Eng Part D: J Autom. Eng 1999 213 D5 481 9
- Huang ZH , Wang JH , Liu B , Zeng K , Yu JR , Jiang DM Combustion characteristics of a direct-injection engine fueled with natural gas-hydrogen mixtures Energy Fuels 2006 20 2 540 6
- Heywood JB Internal combustion engine fundamentals New York McGraw- Hill Book Co. 1988
- Zhao F , Lai MC , Harrington DL Automotive spark-ignited direct-injection gasoline engines Progress in Energy and Combustion Science 25 1999 437 562
- Malaguti S , Fontanesi S , Cantore G , Rosetti A , Lupi R CFD investigation of wall wetting in a GDI engine under low temperature cranking operations Multi-Dimensional Engine Modeling 2009 978-0-7680-2141-7
- Malaguti , S. , Fontanesi , S. , and Severi , E. Numerical Analysis of GDI Engine Cold-Start at Low Ambient Temperatures SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-2123 2010 10.4271/2010-01-2123
- Malaguti S , D'Adamo A , Cantore G , Sementa P et al. Experimental and Numerical Investigation of the Idle Operating Engine Condition for a GDI Engine SI Combustion 2012 10.4271/2012-01-1144 978-0-7680-7608-0
- Papagiannakis RG , Rakopoulos CD , Hountalas DT , Rakopoulos DC Emission characteristics of high speed, dual fuel, compression ignition engine operating in a wide range of natural gas/diesel fuel proportions Fuel 89 7 1397 406 2010
- Mustafi , N. and Raine , R. A Study of the Emissions of a Dual Fuel Engine Operating with Alternative Gaseous Fuels SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-1394 2008 10.4271/2008-01-1394
- Wua X , Daniel R , Tian G , Xu H , Huang Z , Richardson D Dual-injection: The flexible, bi-fuel concept for spark-ignition engines fuelled with various gasoline and biofuel blends Applied Energy 88 7 2305 14 2011
- ThermoVision Advanced Addendum to VisioScope V 1.2 September 2004 AT1650E, Rev. 01
- Matsui , Y. , Kamimoto , T. , and Matsuoka , S. Formation and Oxidation Processes of Soot Particulates in a D. I. Diesel Engine - An Experimental Study via the Two-Color Method SAE Technical Paper 820464 1982 10.4271/820464
- Aleiferis PG , Rosati MF Flame chemiluminescence and OH LIF imaging in a hydrogen fuelled spark-ignition engine International journal of hydrogen energy 37 1797 1812 2012
- Wang J , Chen H , Liu B , Huang Z Study of cycle-by-cycle variations of a spark ignition engine fueled with natural gas- hydrogen blends International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 33 4876 83 2008
- Gaydon AG The Spectroscopy of Flames 2nd Chapman and Hall 1974
- Oh H , Bae C Effects of the injection timing on spray and combustion characteristics in a spray-guided DISI engine under lean-stratified operation Fuel 107 225 35 2013
- Drake MC , Fansler TD , Lippert AM Stratified-charge combustion: modelling and imaging of a spray-guided direct-injection engine Proc Comb Ins 2005 30 2683 91